JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. (Galatians 1:13-16) What factors in Paul's background made him an ideal apostle to the Gentiles? How did God use his being different from others? To ponder: How has your unique background fitted you for ministry? What uniqueness has God given you? What will it take to see that uniqueness as a God-given strength rather than as an embarrassment? 

Answer:

​Paul was an educated man, and was familiar with the gentile world. ultimately the vocation of his calling was apostle to the gentiles

He was different from others because of the great revelation 

The unique background that help in my ministry is i was born in christian family and bought up in a special way. And God has given me

to search deeper in knowledge, integrity in life, spiritual thing in values. All thing strengthen me in the ministry.   

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul was known for persecuting the church of God. He confesses this in 13, in 14 he gives his motives for persecuting the church was to look good to the Pharisees. He aced all his classes in the Law.

Verse 15 begins his testimony about how God called him out of the world to be separate. He(God) revealed Jesus to Pau, so Paul could learn about Him, and then preach to the gentiles about Him.

I too was called out by God. I know many seeds were planted to reach me. I finally accepted Him at 26.

Paul was known for persecuting the church of God. He confesses this in 13, in 14 he gives his motives for persecuting the church was to look good to the Pharisees. He aced all his classes in the Law.

Verse 15 begins his testimony about how God called him out of the world to be separate. He(God) revealed Jesus to Pau, so Paul could learn about Him, and then preach to the gentiles about Him.

I too was called out by God. I know many seeds were planted to reach me. I finally accepted Him at 26.

• 10 months later...

Q2. (Galatians 1:13-16) What factors in Paul's background made him an ideal apostle to the Gentiles? How did God use his being different from others? To ponder: How has your unique background fitted you for ministry? What uniqueness has God given you? What will it take to see that uniqueness as a God-given strength rather than as an embarrassment?

Paul was born in Tarsus, a Roman gentile city. He was familiar with gentiles. He was also a Pharisee and had studied the Old Testament scriptures extensively. Paul was also a zealous person. God knew Paul would use these abilities as zealously for Christ as he had to persecute the followers of Christ. God used Paul's differences to move among the gentiles as well as the Jews and preach the gospel with equal ability.

My uniqueness and unique life experiences have given me an understanding of people. Being patient is something my disease of hemophilia has taught me. These are strengths God has given. Hemophilia has taught me the strength to persevere, to not give in to that which defeats. This is the gift God gave.

• 3 months later...

FACTORS OF BACKGROUND: willing to do all for the gospel (zealous and commitment); to pursue cultures that are different (open-minded); his knowledge based upon scriptural background to clearly explain what salvation consist of and being responsible to the spirit of the scripture (bold enough to stand up for himself against errors); background of defying others for his beliefs (strict education to combat what the Word is saying (devotion)

GOD USING HIS BEING DIFFERENT: his credentials being a sovereign move of God; purposed from birth for service that is other than the ordinary just by the fact of his calling and revelation (able to meet challenges with clarification and understanding of situations); confirmation of a different type of Christian (gentiles) ministry; being able to know truth and being an apostle confirmed by Jesus

MY UNIQUE BACKGROUND FITTED FOR MINISTRY: education and meeting people with the same  perspective on life (the effects of abuse): firm grasp of the scriptures with determination to convey truth; testimony of salvation  not being the usual method of revelation; gift of teaching demonstrated with various media

UNIQUENESS GIVEN: open to different cultures and the desire to see gifts in operation; hearing the voice of the Lord as a prophet - to speak forth new revelations; operate in the deliverance ministry with laying a biblical foundation

SEE UNIQUENESS AS A GOD-GIVEN STRENGTH: being yielded and submit all things to the Lord; not looking at people as a threat but being confident of my identity in Christ; see how God can use me in spite of myself; understanding that I have a role (purpose) in the body of Christ and being intentional to not compare myself with others; being actively manifesting my gift under the power of the Holy Spirit; how I can bring others to the Lord

• 10 months later...

He was deeply learned and immersed in Judaism and was extremely zealous for it. So, he intensely persecuted the new believers. He did not consult anyone after his experience with Jesus that converted him. He never studied with the other apostles at Jesus' feet but encountered Him after His death and resurrection.

• 4 years later...

He had an in depth knowledge of Greek philosophy and the various cultures in the Roman empire.   He was a true Renaissance man.   St Paul could take the Gospel and communicate God's plan of Salvation in terms that the Gentile world could readily understand. His ministry was confirmed by Pentecostal signs and wonders.  The ministry of St Paul was truly Christ centered to the uttermost.   He could do what the Jewish Christians were not readily equipped to do;  cultural differences were a big factor in the early church.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if, at times, the superficial things of life -- education, background, experiences -- are discarded or replaced by God when He uses us in a particular ministry.

Two directions can be taken. First, people continue to use their "strengths" in ministry. Paul's strengths were his social background, intelligence, connections and education. God seemed to use these things in Paul's ministry; Paul used them as proof of his position as well as conversion.

Second, people get called to do things for which they have no ability, perhaps to keep them dependent on Him. Unlike Paul, they are not able to point to past accomplishments, history or ability as proof of their calling. 

Could it be the case that when God chooses us He gives us the abilities we need so that our background matter little?

I have an odd background that so far God has not used in a ministry, or in a  successful one. I can point to unique traits, etc., but am unsure if these are God- given. They may be accidents of my past, not to be used in the future. I'm not convinced that God uses our entire pasts as some posters claim.Thus,  I don't see my "uniquenesses" as either strengths or weaknesses at this point.

Well ... not true. I see my unique qualities more as weaknesses. Others may see them as strengths, but again, my unique qualities have been both isolating and not successfully used by God 

--

What strikes me the most about these passages is how God forced Paul into a long period of seclusion. He was not taught by the church or by more spiritually experienced and mature people, nor did he endure a well-conceived program of sanctification, but was simply taught by God Himself. That's amazing, really.