JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

What factors in Paul's background made him an ideal apostle to the Gentiles? How did God use his being different from others?

I'm going to stick my neck out here. I believe that this is irrelevant, God equips those he calls-he doesn't call the equipped. Thus we can't boast of ourselves. What Paul could say was I was there and I was wrong. With the equiping of Jesus' revelation Paul would understand better those he preached to because he had been there.

To ponder: How has your unique background fitted you for ministry? What uniqueness has God given you? What will it take to see that uniqueness as a God-given strength rather than as an embarrassment?

This is a tough one, what I see in my mind's eye as unique are my sins/failures to trust in the Lord. The truly effective pastor's I have known understand the human conditon/ what we are going through because they have been there.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Galatians 1:13-16) What factors in Paul's background made him an ideal apostle to the Gentiles? How did God use his being different from others? To ponder: How has your unique background fitted you for ministry? What uniqueness has God given you? What will it take to see that uniqueness as a God-given strength rather than as an embarrassment?

The Demacus Road experience made him understand his divine revelation. God uses each unique gifts that he provides Christians abilities to reach and minister to others for Christ. My uniqueness is the ability to relate to others through my experiences I have had-drugs, alcohol, abuse.... I live my life as a blessing to know and serve him.

It made him the idea person because of some of the things that Paul have done.

He use it because God knew that he needs something different than the other apostle.

My background have fitted my ministry because the things your go through can help

you when you are witness to people. They knew that you have been through some of the

thing that they have.Some of the uniquness if being without, loss money when I was

trying to better my self listen to a love one God taught me to keep my head up he have

this battle not me. Because alot of women have come up to me and said you are a

strong women I tell them it not me It's the God in me.

What factors in Paul's background made him an ideal apostle to the Gentiles? How did God use his being different from others? To ponder: How has your unique background fitted you for ministry? What uniqueness has God given you? What will it take to see that uniqueness as a God-given strength rather than as an embarrassment?

Paul had been very zealous in his persecution of the church. He was just as zealous in his preaching of the gospels. He was a student of Rabbi Gamaliel in Jerusalem. He had thoroughly learned tradition interpretation of scriptures thru his discipline. Paul was able to communicate the gospel to the Gentiles.

God has given me the ability to teach. I have really been working hard at studying God's word to be able to come before God's people and teach without fear of saying something wrong.

Q2. (Galatians 1:13-16) What factors in Paul's background made him an ideal apostle to the Gentiles? How did God use his being different from others? To ponder: How has your unique background fitted you for ministry? What uniqueness has God given you? What will it take to see that uniqueness as a God-given strength rather than as an embarrassment?

2. a. Because he persecuted the church of Jesus Christ he possessed boldness and stuck to what he believed. God gave him a complete turn around by revealing His son Jesus to Paul and called him to preach to the Gentiles the truth that you are not saved by obeying the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ.

b. God used his boldness to teach the Gospel of Jesus Christ. He got the truth and did not waver in teaching the truth.

c, d, & e, I was shy and not very friendly, but I pushed myself and with God's help I started to greet people as they came into church and I feel God has given me the gift of encouragement,. I always need to encourage myself in the Lord and to keep using the gift which God has given

Before Paul was even born, God had a calling on his life. Paul was born as a Roman citizen, making it easy for him to travel within the Roman Empire. He was also a Pharisee, who knew the scriptures and who was passionate for the cause that he believed it. He was also a very good orator who could converse with jews as well as gentiles. Maybe he knew a lot about the different cultures of the gentiles and maybe he felt drawn to them - the jews were scared of him because he persecuted and killed them. God used these circumstances to lead Paul to the gentiles.

God has a calling on every believer's life- there are things that only we can do and people that only we can reach- all we have to do is to obey God and let the Holy Spirit lead us to do what God wants to do in and through our lives

* WHAT FACTORS IN PAUL'S BACKGROUND MADE HIM AN IDEAL APOSTLE TO THE GENTILES?

Paul was persecuting the early church. But then God literally knocked him down and revealed to him the truth specifically so he could preach the Gospel to the Gentiles!

* HOW DID GOD USE HIS BEING DIFFERENT FROM OTHERS?

God used all the things of the past of Paul (zealously persecuting the Christians, education background, etc.) to show the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ!

* HOW HAS YOUR UNIQUE BACKGROUND FITTED YOU FOR MINISTRY?

My unique background fitted me for ministry by allowing me to relate to others. I can truly say that God has turned my heart to Him and say it to others with confidence because i know it as truth, just like Paul.

* WHAT UNIQUENESS HAS GOD GIVEN YOU?

God has given me a love for the guilty and hurting. But i can look back in my life, even when i was not a Christian, and hear of a murderer going to jail and get the death penalty; see a bully; learn of an affair, etc.. and just feel a sense of compassion, knowing there's a story behind everything and knowing we all need forgiveness.

Some of the factors in Paul’s background that made him an ideal apostle to the Gentiles were that he had persecuted the first Christians. The he had an encounter with Jesus and made him the perfect person to witness to the Gentiles.

God used his being different from others by making it so that he could relate those that he was speaking to and relate to them how much Jesus had changed him.

What factors in Paul's background made him an ideal apostle to the Gentiles?

Ans. Paul was a persecutor to the Jews. He would not have been effective to preach the gospel to them.

How did God use his being different from others?

Ans.While Paul had limited personal encounter with Jesus compared to the other apostles, he was a bold as them. He was a strict observer of the Law of Moses and his personal encounter with Jesus confirmed that Jesus indeed is the son of God when Jesus spoke to him on his way to Damascus. His brilliance in the law and his renewed belief in Jesus were the vital requirements in reaching the Gentiles.

(Galatians 1:13-16) What factors in Paul's background made him an ideal apostle to the Gentiles?

Paul stated that he was "beyond measure" in the Jewish faith, far surpassing his own peers. He knew the Jewish faith like none other. Paul was personally called by God before his birth, so God prepared him throughout his life. He literally had a personal relationship with Jesus on the road to Damascus. He was cut for the task God had set before him long before Paul himself knew it. Also, let me add, Paul's zeal was another thing. As zealous as he was as an enemy of Jesus, Paul became as zealous for Jesus. God used that zeal for His glory.

How did God use his being different from others? Since preaching to the Gentiles was something the other disciples weren't used to, God had to pour something new into the one set for the task. This was huge. He emptied Paul, and he started something new. It's hard for me to put into words. Paul was unique in that he learned this ministry from God Himself and not man.

To ponder: How has your unique background fitted you for ministry? Because I was rejected a lot in my life, and because I really never seemed to fit in, I believe God has given me compassion for those whom have experienced the same.

What uniqueness has God given you? What will it take to see that uniqueness as a God-given strength rather than as an embarrassment?

I must ponder the above two questions very deeply because I don't think I have the answers.

Q2. (Galatians 1:13-16) What factors in Paul's background made him an ideal apostle to the Gentiles?

Because of Paul's position in the persecuting army he had opportunities to converse with Gentiles unlike the other Apostles.

Now armed with the gospel, he was able to communicate to them in a language they understood.

God used Paul's difference in personality to infiltrate the customs of the people that he would have to minister to.

To ponder: How has your unique background fitted you for ministry?

My former career and educational exposure have equipped me for ministry.

What uniqueness has God given you? What will it take to see that uniqueness as a God-given strength rather than as an embarrassment?

God has given me the ability to speak to people with an ease. Being in the position to use this gift is

a God given gift that strengthens rater than seen as an embarrassment.

Paul was well trained and disciplined by Rabbi Gamliel in the old testament scripyures. He was so zealous in the Jewish tradition that he persecuted the church and believed then that he was doing service to God. With this same zeal and discipline he preached the gospel to the gentiles and the Jews.

Q2. (Galatians 1:13-16)

What factors in Paul's background made him an ideal apostle to the Gentiles?

Here Paul relates that immediately upon being called by God to preach the Gospel to the Gentiles, he went into Arabia without consulting a single person. “When it had pleased God,” he writes, “I did not deserve it. I had been an enemy of Christ. I had blasphemed His Gospel. I had shed innocent blood. In the midst of my frenzy I was called. Why? On account of my outrageous cruelty? Indeed not. My gracious God who shows mercy unto whom He will, pardoned all mine iniquities. He bestowed His grace upon me, and called me for an apostle.”

We also have come to the knowledge of the truth by the same kindness of God. I crucified Christ daily in my cloistered life, and blasphemed God by my wrong faith. Outwardly I kept myself chaste, poor, and obedient. I was much given to fasting, watching, praying, saying of masses, and the like. Yet under the cloak of my outward respectability I continually mistrusted, doubted, feared, hated, and blasphemed God. My righteousness was a filthy puddle. Satan loves such saints. They are his darlings, for they quickly destroy their body and soul by depriving them of the blessings of God’s generous gifts. When a man did as this old man Saul, this would prove to the unbelieving, that truely this new man Paul has been with God.

To ponder: How has your unique background fitted you for ministry? The change that Jesus did for me, was only a miracle, I would not be here today, if it had not been for the mercy of God and praying saints, trusting God that i would get saved.

What uniqueness has God given you? The great gift God has given me was after about four years of working in the church, as a Adult SS Teacher, a Sunday School Leader. I still felt something was missing, that was when I gave my all to Christ and since then it has been unreal. I run the media department at church and I am an intersessor for our church and other churches as well. I am an altar worker and my life is devoted to seeking Gods will. I spend many hours in prayer and fasting, and when I started doing that, great things started happening in the church, people getting saved, sanctified, and filled with the Holy Ghost and Fire Baptized. God has not changed and he is not dead, because I talk to Him many times a day in prayer. When I truely gave my all to Christ, life has not been the same.

What will it take to see that uniqueness as a God-given strength rather than as an embarrassment? With the Holy Spirit leading my life, and staying behind Him, all will go as He wants it. With the holy Spirit, truely leading your life you will not be embarrassed, doing anything. I am dead to the world, and the things of the world, in many different experiences, the Holy Ghost has directed me exactly what to do. My spirit of discernment, is growing more and more, and in these days you have to have someone who can discern evil spirits and things that are trying to creep into the church. The devil is not going to lay down and play dead, and when he gets mad, I know I am right where I ought to be. I hate the devil, and he hates me, because I know his schemes and he don't like that at all.

The factors in Paul's background was that he persecuted God's people and church. God used his being different to prove to others that God was real, that His word was real and true.That by faith we are a child of God.I think my background has helped prepare me for my ministry. The trials I have faced, I have been able to witness to someone else that has or is going through the same. God has helped me grow in him as He has taught and lead me in His way and truth.

• 4 weeks later...

Q2

1. What factors in Paul's background made him an ideal apostle to the Gentiles?

His past experience of pursecuting other Christians and having devoted himself to traditional Judaism, as well as his encounter with Christ on the road to Damascus, made him an ideal apostle to the Gentiles.

2. How did God use his being different from others?

I'm so glad that God is God. To see something different and to use it for the good of others never ceases to amaze me. It seams that Paul was intellegent as he excelled higher than his classmates and had intense enthusiasm to learn more. Having these traits already, allowed God to use him for his purpose.

3. To ponder. How has your unique background fitted you for ministry?

I like to look at this way, that God will use every bit of my uniqueness for his glory as long as I'm willing to be used.

God has used me in so many different ways in the church to fulfill his mission in the church and the world. As a young mom I didn't think that I could teach children but I was willing. I didn't think that I could write a newsletter for our church, but I was willing. I didn't think that I could run a workshop, but I was willing. I didn't think that I could write a Christmas Play, but I was willing.

In high school I hated taken secretarial classes that my Dad made me take. As a result many of my background was used to serve God in church. I did love helping my mom care for children which helped me to care for children in church.

I believe that God has given me the uniqueness to help others. I enjoy serving others may it be through cleaning the church, teaching, decorating the church, helping to feed someone, putting gas in someone's car when their out of money etc.

I am not always willing, but most of the time I am. When I am not willing I have this conviction in me that happens to stay with me until I transition.

• 3 weeks later...

Q2

1. What factors in Paul's background made him an ideal apostle to the Gentiles?

He was learned in the traditional teaching of Judaism, he persecuted the church intensely and tried destroying it.

2. How did God use his being different from others?

The fact that he was zealous speaks for itself, he not only exhibited enthusiastic devotion to his judaistic beliefs, but was tirelessly diligent in its furtherance. these natural traits or qualities made him God's perfect choice.

3. To ponder. How has my unique background fitted me for ministry?

As an ex cop, I have seen the good, bad and ugly and have learnt the art of communication well enough to share God's Word with all.

4. What uniqueness has God given me?

A still born daughter almost 11 years old and a strong faith in God to supply all of my needs according to his riches in glory.

5. What will it take to see that uniqueness as a God given, rather than an embarrassment?

Complete devotion to Jehovah God

• 2 weeks later...

The fact that God called him and set him apart as a chosen vessel, revealing Himself to Paul by divine intervention on the road to Damascus, ready to kill believers for their faith in Christ, qualifies him as an ideal apostle to preach to the Gentiles. Paul was from Tarsus, highly educated, a murderer, yet God still used him mightily to spread the Gospel . I am able to communicate well with all people groups and I operate a lot by giving others a word of knowledge or words of wisdom at various times.I love to intercede for others, love to sing, praise and worship the Lord, and witness to others about Jesus Christ.

• 1 month later...

a) The greatest factor was that he was called by God for this cause. He met The Lord in a powerful way on the road to destroying the church in Damascus. God changed his life completely and revealed himself in him and to him.

He was educated in all the ways of the Pharisees and was being groomed in the ways of the Sanhedrin even at an early age, being more exceedingly zealous for the traditions of the fathers. But God turned that around, rather than being driven by self-righteous and self-centered desires of success, fueled by hatred and jealousy and greed and ambition, he was humbled by the encounter with God. He was a changed man led by the Holy Spirit through grace. He was Called of God to the Gentiles.

God was able to use Paul in spite of his past. He was able to let go of the past and press on toward the prize of the high calling in Christ, as a new creature in him. “I, through the law, am dead to the law, that I might live unto God”

God was able to use Paul’s many gifts and abilities which he had acquired over his early years. God used Paul’s knowledge of the Jewish bible and his ability to teach it. God was able to use Paul’s knowledge and understanding of various languages. Paul was a free man, and a Roman citizen giving him access to many nations and territories, under the protection of Rome (which helped in certain places). God not only changes us and makes us new he also uses our personality and abilities for his glory.

“If any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things might be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever. Amen”

B) God separated me from my mother’s womb and called me by his grace. His gracing upon my life is a unique calling or work even in my daily walk.

c)”Be clothed with humility, for God resists the proud but giveth grace unto the humble. Humble yourself therefore under the might hand of God, and he will exalt you in dew time, casting all your care upon him for he careth for you.”

• 2 weeks later...

Q2(Galatians1;13-16)what factors in Paul's background made him an ideal apostle to the gentiles? He was part of the early prosecutors of the Christians,(the church). 2, How did God use his being different from others? To explain the both sides of the God's works, and he also knew something different than the other disciples. 3,To ponder; How has your unique background fitted you for ministry?. Because God has turned my heart to him , as he turned Paul's heart to him. 4,What uniqueness has God given you? Its very hard to answer it. 5,What will take to see that uniqueness as a God given strength rather than as an embarrassment? God has given me the ability to learn his word , and try to speak to other people.

• 4 months later...

2a)Paul’s background as a zealous Jew,who persecuted Christians, and his dramatic conversion &calling to preach to Gentiles, meant he understood Jewish mind &teaching& personal experience of the grace of God&could preach from OT &Jesus teaching.

B)God used Paul’s wide knowledge, personal calling by Jesus to reach &convert Jews&Gentiles.

C)I have diverse experiences,not specially gifted but willing to be a vessel encouraging others who I work with using my mixed experiences

.D)interchurch exp &personal suffering.

E)Witnes of other marginalised Christians impacted me,developing trust,realising God wanted me to use my thorns for his glory &wasn’t going to take my thorns away,God was then more able to use me&my experiences.

• 6 months later...

Paul was able to communicate to the gentiles from before. Paul’s previous devotion to traditional Judaism had been thorough was a great contrast with his experience of Jesus Christ appearing to him. He was previously involved in the persecution of Jews who proclaimed Jesus was Christ but now He himself knew Jesus was Christ. And God used this uniqueness of Paul to preach the good news to the gentiles.

I have a unique talent of music, just getting it by hearing and this has helped me in ministry. For quite sometime I had put it under covers thinking God had to give me something better to reach out to his people. When I was tested by God with a brief period of sickness and loneliness, this unique gift from God helped me to get back to him once again. Although very difficult, only when I praised him with my talents I was strengthened and healed. Now with a testimony of healing and the talent God has given me I can reach out to many who are hurt and I see this as a god given strength in my life.

Factors in Paul's background that made him an ideal apostle to the Gentiles were:  1) Highly educated in Judaism, 2) Jesus' direct calling for him to the gospel ministry to the gentiles, and 3) His indepentent Christian development apart from the Christian Jews.  The last factor enabled him to present the gospel without the emphasis on the law but an emphasis on Jesus Christ as Savior by grace vice legalism. 

Paul's dramtic conversion from Judaism to being a follower of Jesus Christ is something almost anybody could relate to.  Additionally, Paul's knowledge of Old Testament scripture enabled Him to show others Jesus Christ in those scriptures.

"Q2. (Galatians 1:13-16) What factors in Paul's background made him an ideal apostle to the Gentiles? How did God use his being different from others? To ponder: How has your unique background fitted you for ministry? What uniqueness has God given you? What will it take to see that uniqueness as a God-given strength rather than as an embarrassment?"

What factors in Paul's background made him an ideal apostle to the Gentiles? How did God use his being different from others?

Paul was well versed in the knowledge of Judaism, Jesus' direct calling, his independent development apart from the Christian Jews.

What uniqueness has God given you? I can talk to people very easily, I have natural born leadership ability's. I have a great mind for statistics.

What will it take to see that uniqueness as a God-given strength rather than as an embarrassment? I don't see really see it as an embarrassment..  I do recognize ineed to use them more.

• 4 weeks later...

Paul experienced the grace of Jesus and encountered the Lord himself while he was persecuting Christians.He was well learned and trained man in Scriptures and was well aware of the customs of the Jews as well as the Gentiles which made him and ideal apostle to the Gentiles.

He was given grace and mercy by God though he was a sinner blaspheming God and persecuting Christians. This grace made him different from others to preach the Gospel boldly.

My unique background of my lack of many things which were filled and blessed by God had helped me and fitted me into a ministry to bless others.

God has blessed me with a unique way of teaching and encouraging his people.

His grace will help me to see my uniqueness as a strength than an embarassement.

• 1 year later...

Paul would be able to bring a new and vibrant way of describing his vision. He knows all the Jewish teachings. Now he was given the best chance to tell others how Christ fulfilled all the propheses in the Old Testament. He was not going to teach the converted Jews. He was going to step out and teach the Gentiles. He was going to convert a new group that needed a new approach. He needed to be one with the people.

I feel that I have come to a great place in my life. I have struggled with trying to do things my way. I have tried before to turn to God but I fell short of it. And it wasn't until I turned my whole heart to the bible did I finally come to a place where I  now understand the words and feel that I can share the words with others. I still have to learn how to not condemn myself with my memory issues. I am sure that God has a way for me to be a success. I just have to trust in Him, listen to Him and have faith that I will be able to find it in my heart.