JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Anointing and Spirit

God had wanted David to become king along time ago when he was young
The spirit of the Lord has departed from Saul and an evil spirit for the Lord tormented him. Saul couldnt be king because he disobeyed a direct command that God had given him through the prophet Samuel. Saul was rejected as king not specifically because he offered sacrifices, but because he disobeyed a direct command that God had given him through the prophet Samuel.
David became a great king because he listened to God and obeyed His commands. He led the Israelites to victory against their enemies and brought them into the Promised Land.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (1 Samuel 16:13)

What is the significance of Samuel anointing David?

What is the significance of the Holy Spirit coming upon David?

How does this explain his success?

How is the Holy Spirit upon us vital for our own success as disciples?

Samuel had anointed Saul as king (1 Samuel 10).  Saul had failed the test of obedience, not only once, so God had rejected his line to continue as kings.  Samuel mourned . It was very difficult for him to get past this  fact.  It was thus important that it was not usurped by someone but that he himself was again used to anoint the man God had chosen.  

It was God's chosen people David was called to lead and reign over.  In a human capacity to judge and protect and make decisions as how to protect the land and people against invaders .  It was important  that the Holy Spirit come upon him and empower him. This was not a task that could be accomplished successfully without the Holy Spirit's guidance. Many years lay ahead of him before he would finally be king.  As the youngest son in the family, his role would normally not have had much significance.  Now that the prophet anointed him, his role was significantly changed.  Later in dangerous times when his family was not safe he was the one to make decisions as to how to take care of them.  His role as leader was accepted.

David loved the Lord and when he sinned and he was confronted he broke down and pleaded with God to forgive him. The Holy Spirit was not quenched.  

It is very important to be led by the Spirit because He reminds us of what is said in God's Word.  He guides us and teaches  us.  

Q3. (1 Samuel 1:13) What is the significance of Samuel anointing David? What is the significance of the Holy Spirit coming upon David? How does this explain his success? How is the Holy Spirit upon us vital for our own success as disciples?

What is the significance of Samuel anointing David?                             Chosen by God - empowered by the HS.

What is the significance of the Holy Spirit coming upon David?                     He receives power from the HS 

How does this explain his success?                                                                 He was moving in the will of God 

How is the Holy Spirit upon us vital for our own success as disciples?          I think the HS guides us so we end up doing what God wants, rather than what we think is best. 

• 1 month later...

Samuel is the Lord's servant and the Lord's instrument to anoint David physically as God anoints him spiritually. God empowers David with His presence. God the Holy Spirit is present and leads David into leadership. 

I need to be fully aware that God has anointed me with His presence--the Holy Spirit in me and upon me to lead me in my ministry! 

• Pastor Ralph changed the title to Q3. Anointing and Spirit