JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Approximately how long has it been since David had been anointed king by Samuel? (See Appendix 4. Chronology of the Life of David).

1. David was anointed at approximately the age of 15. He was thirty when he became King, so it was approximately 15yrs.

Why did the fulfillment of God’s word take so long?

2. I think it took a long time to fulfill God's word because God had to prepare David. We must also remember God's time is not our time. What seem long to us might have been only a second in God's eyesight.

How would you evaluate David’s patience concerning this prophecy that he would be king?

3. David's patience is how we all should me. He waited patiently and stood on God's promise.

How would you measure your own patience concerning what you believe God has promised you?

4. Now I am a pretty patient person. In the past, I wanted things I asked God for right away. When I felt He was taking too long, I tried to help Him out and really messed things up.

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. (2 Samuel 5:1-5) Approximately how long has it been since David had been anointed king by Samuel? (See Appendix 4. Chronology of the Life of David). Why did the fulfillment of God’s word take so long? How would you evaluate David’s patience concerning this prophecy that he would be king? How would you measure your own patience concerning what you believe God has promised you?

The time that lapsed between Samuel's anointing of David and his reign over all Israel was about seven.

The fulfillment of God’s word took so long because of David's a keen sense of righteousness when it involves the kingship. He restrained himself from establishing himself as King over Saul and his descendant after Saul's death because he knew the kingdom would be his someday. In evaluating David's patience I'd say that he waited paitently knowing that God's plan for his life would come to pass. I'd like to say that I also wait patiently for God's plans to unfold but, very often I am impatient. It is an area that I need God's help with.

• 4 weeks later...

Q2. (2 Samuel 5:1-5)

Approximately how long has it been since David had been anointed king by Samuel? (See Appendix 4. Chronology of the Life of David).

Why did the fulfillment of God’s word take so long?

How would you evaluate David’s patience concerning this prophecy that he would be king?

How would you measure your own patience concerning what you believe God has promised you?

a. It was about 15 years since David was anointed by Soloman.

b. David needed to learn how to rule a nation and Israel needed to see a

Bad King before they could see a Good King. David needed to see how NOT

to turn from God. He could see what that had done to Saul. David also needed

to become a strong leader. I think God was testing David in faith, devotion,

and strength to lead.

c. I believe David was very patient, but he knew Saul had been anointed and

that God would fulfill his prophecy when God was ready to do so. I believed

God used this time to get David ready for being the King of Israel.

e. My patience? I pray for God to help me learn more patience.

• 2 weeks later...

Q2. (2 Samuel 5:1-5) Approximately how long has it been since David had been anointed king by Samuel? (See Appendix 4. Chronology of the Life of David). Why did the fulfillment of God’s word take so long? How would you evaluate David’s patience concerning this prophecy that he would be king? How would you measure your own patience concerning what you believe God has promised you?

It is noted to be 15 years after being anointed by Samuel that David became King. As God is in control, it is not for us to say how long it will take for his will to be done. Things unfold un front of us, done by the hand of God. Taking David's example of having restraint and always seeking to ask God before acting on a big thing, or anything...

As an impatient person, I have been quick to act on things in my life. I believe this is God's will and destiny for me. But I need to be more patient and not expect some things to happen as quickly as I would like. It is always HIS will that is done, no matter what path we think we are taking.

• 2 months later...

2a)Approx 15yrs

b)God needed this time to prepare David for the many struggles ahead. Israel had to experience what a bad king was like in Saul, before they were ready for good king. David’s faith grew in this time of dependence and trust on God. He learnt much from Saul’s example of how not to be king. It was God’s perfect timing.

c) David was very patient esp thro wilderness yrs., he didn’t dive in, but waited. He knew God would work things out in his perfect will& timing

.d)I have grown more patient whilst n God’s refining process of health &ministry tough time,learnt much of what it means to depend on God ¬ self or others, and learned too, you can’t hurry God by grumbling or self-pity. Still have much more to learn.

• 1 year later...

David became King of Hebron appoximately 15 years after God instructed Samuel to annoint David and the Holy Spirit came upon him.

David's knew without a doubt he would become King one day, I feel like he didn't question when it would happen.  He loved and respected the kings before him he didn't contemplate when, or how he would

15 years isn't really that long, by the time we are 15 years old most of us already know what we want to become as an adult.

Doctors, lawyers, atheletes etc. which all take a long time to become.    Some times we don't have the patience to wait for the Lord to give us what He wants us to have so we make the choice to move forward with our lives in a different direction.

• 2 months later...

(2 Samuel 5:1-5) Approximately how long has it been since David had been anointed king by Samuel?  Why did the fulfillment of God's word take so long? How would you evaluate David's patience concerning this prophecy that he would be king? How would you measure your own patience concerning what you believe God has promised you?

David was just a teenager when he was called by Samuel, so it must have been about 15 years until he became king.  God undoubtedly used these years to shape and mold David into a man of faith in God and into a strong and capable leader. As I've read his story, I have seen him display a lot of patience as he waited for God's timing, and God blessed him for this.  For me, patience is something that has developed as I have grown in age and spiritual maturity. While I still do get impatient as times, I am understanding that God knows what He doing in every aspect of my life and the lives of those I love, so it gets a little easier to wait for His plan to unfold.

(2 Samuel 5:1-5) Approximately how long has it been since David had been anointed king by Samuel?  Why did the fulfillment of God's word take so long? How would you evaluate David's patience concerning this prophecy that he would be king? How would you measure your own patience concerning what you believe God has promised you?

David was just a teenager when he was called by Samuel, so it must have been about 15 years until he became king.  God undoubtedly used these years to shape and mold David into a man of faith in God and into a strong and capable leader. As I've read his story, I have seen him display a lot of patience as he waited for God's timing, and God blessed him for this.  For me, patience is something that has developed as I have grown in age and spiritual maturity. While I still do get impatient as times, I am understanding that God knows what He doing in every aspect of my life and the lives of those I love, so it gets a little easier to wait for His plan to unfold.

• 2 years later...

According to the chronology of David's reign he was 37 years old when he became king of all of Israel. If David were 16 when he was anointed by Samuel then he would have waited 21 years in order to become king of all of Israel.

We cannot comprehend God's ways hands we do not know why it was 21 years before God placed David as king of Israel. Maybe it David needed experience and seasoning before his responsibilities as king. I myself am not very patient.

Q2. (2 Samuel 5:1-5) Approximately how long has it been since David had been anointed king by Samuel? Why did the fulfillment of God's word take so long? How would you evaluate David's patience concerning this prophecy that he would be king? How would you measure your own patience concerning what you believe God has promised you?

It would be approximately 15 years since David was anointed king by Samuel since he would then have been approximately 15 years old.

The reason for this length of time was probably because David needed maturity and experience in order to become king. In these fifteen years he learned a military strategy and from being in the court of the king he would have being able to view diplomacy.

David was patient but he did not really have any other choice. It may be possible that David was not as patient as is pointed out for why did Saul search for him so hard if he had not done something treasonable or considered treasonable by the king.

Unfortunately, I am not a patient person.

• 6 years later...

Q2. (2 Samuel 5:1-5)

Approximately how long has it been since David had been anointed king by Samuel? (See Appendix 4. Chronology of the Life of David.)

Why did the fulfillment of God's word take so long?

How would you evaluate David's patience concerning this prophecy that he would be king?

I would reckon it to be about 15 years that David was anointed by Samuel, before he became king over Judah.

God's timing is not our timing.  There are always things that need to be learnt or gotten out of the way, or certain aspects that need to be established before God's Word comes into fulfillment and then when the time is right it comes to pass.  

I think it is amazing how David did not take matters into his own hands and wipe out Saul.  How he was fully prepared to support Saul and fight in his army all the years, until it was not safe for him to be in Saul's presence anymore.  Even then when push came to shove, he protected his people and fought off those who would have gone further into the kingdom of Israel.  Most amazing is the love of Jonathan and David.  Both being aware of who they were in the kingdom's/man's point of view and also in God's view.  Neither was jealous of the other's position. It truly was love born of God.  David was faithful and not traitorous.  David knew God's timing was best.