JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Example of Hard Work

What kind of example did Paul set with regard to work when he was in Thessalonica?

Paul worked diligently, for long hours, with his hands. He was a skilled tradesman. Those with whom he lived, that is, those with whom he travelled would have surely watched him work. Perhaps people in the cities to which he travelled also watched him work. As a tent-maker, he would have had to carry heavy loads of cloth to make tents. He also would have had to bring his needles, dowels, string or thread and other tools and supplies of that trade. I never thought that Paul was schlepping this stuff around until now!

As a Christian worker, did he have a right to support?

Yes, though I wouldn't word it as a "right." I'd rather say he had an "expectation" that people in each city would be willing to support him so he could preach and teach. Sometimes they gave ... sometimes not. It's much like itinerant preachers today who ask for "love offerings." I'm sure they pray that their offerings, at a minimum, cover their expenses.

Why didn’t he exercise that right?

Paul says he wanted to be an example of hard work to those who may have thought he was sloughing it off by only preaching. It would be difficult to deny Paul was working when he produced actual, visual objects, in this case, tents; it was easier to deny Paul was working when he produced speeches.