JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. The Prayer of a Righteous Man

4a)Hezekiah asks for healing on basis he had sought to live a faithful, godly life obeying God’s demands even when under critiscm from his peers and pressure from his opponents. "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective" (James 5:16b).He also believed that God could answer the prayers of those who fervently sought him in times of crisis, and God’s promise concerning off spring and long life for the faithful.

b)God hears all our prayers and he has made promises with us to respond our prayers and petitions in faith made in line with His will Matthew 21:22If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.".As we draw close to God we know His will more closely. God honours those who obey him. "Keep his decrees and commands, which I am giving you today, so that it may go well with you and your children after you and that you may live long in the land the LORD your God gives you for all time." (Deuteronomy 4:40)

c)All the blessings we receive from God are given because He loves us and not because we deserve them. We are all sinners saved by grace.God meets us where we are at, searches our heart.Unrighteousness or sinful behaviour, becomes a barrier between us and a loving relationship with God.God may delay his response to our prayers to refine us, cause us to grow closer to Him.Each of us know’s when we have gone off course,not lived as we should have  and need to turn back to our loving,merciful Father like the prodigal son.

• 7 months later...

Hezekiah asks for healing under the guidance of his heart. He did not know what was in store for him if he died. However, his faith was great that even if he were to die, God would remember him.

If we give our lives over to God and if we do the best that we can do, God will hear us on a regular basis. He is our eternal Father. He wants what is best for us. And he is willing and able to supply all of our needs.

However, if we are disobedient, God will not give us what we want. He will try to discipline us in a loving way. He will withhold things from us. He might make us face a period of chaos so that we open our hearts to him again.

• 7 months later...

Q4. (Isaiah 38:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing? Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered? How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

Hezekiah asks for healing on the basis of his faithfuly serving God.   Personal righteousness and holiness is important in getting your prayers answered because it is the pure in heart that receives of the Kingdom of God.  Unrighteousness can prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway, because God first seeks the repented heart.

• 4 years later...

Q4. (Isaiah 38:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing? That he has been faithful and walk in Gods ways.

Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered? My relationship with GOD assures me that God will act on my prayers when I pray in his will. 

How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway? Unrighteousness separates me from GOD, which stops GOD from answering my prayers

• 2 years later...

Hezekiah seems to feel his behaviour was exemplary enough to merit God's healing -- an audacious claim. The New Testament clearly states that no one is righteous apart from Christ, yet Hezekiah claims to have sufficiently served and obeyed God to merit healing. I suppose the fact that he lived in times before Christ explains some of this. 

We seem to be toeing a thin line between the attitude of meriting God's attention and care and, conversely, acknowledging that we cannot merit God's attention. For this reason, I'm not sure our personal righteousness matters to God, but am sure that focusing on Him makes us more righteous (sanctification). As we focus on Him our mind isn't on our own behaviour and thoughts, but His; we don't see our own righteousness, but His.

Similarly, I am not sure that a person's unrighteousness prevents God from answering prayer. God answers all sorts of prayers from believers in different stages of sanctification, some of whom are not living wholly upright lives. He also delays, says "no" or doesn't seem to answer the prayers of people who are very righteous (in our eyes).  If He answered only the prayers of the righteous, then the righteous people would be healthy, wealthy, and whatever ... and this is surely not the case. In fact, as I think about it, it seems that the most righteous people are those most tried by suffering and the inexplicable silence of God. (Righteous, in this case, means closest to God.)

God answers prayer how and when He chooses. Every answer is an act of His volition, incomprehensible to us. Grace, itself, is purely a gift, bestowed more on some than others. We must simply hang our heads and accept that we will never understand how God works or why He chooses to work the way He does. 

• 1 month later...

Hezekiah had prayed for an heir and a long life. He has walked faithfully with God and has been devoted to him.

The Lord answers prayers if there truthful. He gives us what is good for us
The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective 
Our sin blocks our prayers

God loves us and we’ll usually give us what we want

• 2 months later...

Q4. (Isaiah 38:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing?

Hezekiah prayed to God based on his own personal righteousness. "Remember now O, Lord...."

Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered?

Although God has mercy on who he chooses to have mercy (Rom 9:8), He is more attentive to His Children (John 15:7) 

How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

Psalm 66:18 says it this way "If I regard iniquity in my heart, The Lord will not hear."

• 5 months later...

Q4. (Isaiah 38:3) What is the basis on which Hezekiah asks for healing?

That he walked with the Lord whole heartedly.

Why is personal righteousness and holiness important in getting your prayers answered?

God sees our obedience to Him and though we can’t be perfect we can strive to be better. When we repent of our sins and move forward with the right mindset  staying in Gods word. 

How can unrighteousness prevent answered prayer if all gifts from God are by grace anyway?

God gives gifts when He chooses and to whom He chooses. He has answered sinners prayers but is more inclined to hear a believers prayer and answer it than a nonbeliever.