JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. The Just Servant

I'm having spiritual problems with these passages. To me, it seems that God punished Israel for their apostacy and sins by sending them to endure three generations of slavery and misery and then acted tenderly toward the fourth or fifth generation.

His prophet Isaiah prophesied in 700 and this came to pass in 539 ... 160 years of suffering! Some people were born and died in captivity. This reminds me of the centuries that the Israelites were enslaved in Egypt -- why didn't God rescue any of these bruised reeds and smouldering wicks who had turned their hearts toward Him? 

God uses suffering to purify His people. Of this I am certain.

• 3 months later...

Q2. (Isaiah 42:1-4) What do these verses teach us about the Messiah? What will characterize him and his actions? What does it tell us about his quest for justice? About his tenderness? If this describes our Messiah,

Isaiah 42:1-4 depicts Jesus as sent from God, as His chosen one in whom He delights. His purpose is to bring  justice to the nations. He will be gentle, not forceful or loud. He will not wear out before justice is established. He will give us hope. 

what difference should it make in our lives, values, and demeanor?

And this is how we should live peacefully caring about the injustice of the world.