JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. (1 Corinthians 4:1-2) In what sense is a Christian worker a “steward”? Have you ever met a Christian worker who wasn’t faithful? What effect did this have on the church? On this person’s witness. What are the reasons we are sometimes unfaithful in our area of ministry? What can we do to remedy that?

A steward is a faithful worker who is a steward in more ways than money. He/she influences the Church in many ways. Their witness affects the church in many ways showing the peace and love of Christ or the chaos of the world.

• 4 weeks later...

Posted 21 May 2014 - 01:37 PM

Q1. (1 Corinthians 4:1-2) In what sense is a Christian worker a “steward”? Have you ever met a Christian worker who wasn’t faithful? What effect did this have on the church? On this person’s witness. What are the reasons we are sometimes unfaithful in our area of ministry? What can we do to remedy that?

A steward is typically a manager…one who has responsibility over a program, a house, a church, financial resources, property, et al.  A Christian worker is indeed a steward or manager of the grace of God given through the Holy Spirit through which He works to bring the good news to others as well as helping to build up the church (people) in being more faithful and devoted to the LORD Jesus.

People who claim to be Christian workers and who are not faithful to the LORD are truly a hindrance and road-block to the matchless Word of God and the message and heart of He who died for the forgiveness of all our sins and gave us the command to spread His message to all the world. This attitude negative affects the church’s ability to be credible to the unbelieving world and thereby prohibits the progress in the sharing of this Christian message of hope to the world.

Sometimes we get over our heads by not saying “No” to some service opportunities; not stopping to weigh the priorities of our spiritual gifts against the myriad areas of service so they match.  That leads to feelings of being overwhelmed and not being faithful to the tasks we have said “yes” to being stewards/servants.

• 5 months later...

A Christian worker is a “steward” because God has entrusted him with assets of the Kingdom of God.  He is given the noble task of caring for God's sheep until He returns for them.  There are Christian workers who proved not to be faithful and their lack of faithfulness has put additional burdens on others who are faithful to the work of the Kingdom as they carry out their own assignments and also that of another unfaithful servant.  The unfaithful Christian is seen as unreliable and irresponsible.

We are sometimes unfaithful in our area of ministry when we don't appreciate the assignment that God has give to us. When we understand that each of us have a very unique part to play in the body of Christ and realize that when we are unfaithful, we're in fact robbing the body of a gift that God has placed among us; then we will perform to glorify God.

• 5 months later...

A Christian worker is a steward of the Word of God. They are to keep watch that the word is not misused. That those who come to hear the word are treated with love and respect. They are to guide the congregation in a faithful journey.

I am dealing with a group of elders in my home church that have little to no faith. The congregation is in constant turmoil. The elders seem more concerned about money that any thing else. They are haphazardly looking for an interim pastor. We lost our last one almost a year ago. The pulpit is filled each week by whoever we can find to speak. there is no consistency at all. I am actually finding it hard to sit there during the worship service. I find that I am suffering spiritually.

I feel that people can become unfaithful due to the act of treating the church as a corporation. They find that they are caught up in the worldly aspects and they try to put God into a locked room to only let him out when it is convenient for them to do it. I feel that we need to learn to put God first. I feel that we need to really pray and try to get God to send us his graces. I feel that we need to educate people more about the bible.

• 6 years later...

(1 Corinthians 4:1-2)

In what sense is a Christian worker a "steward"?

Have you ever met a Christian worker who wasn't faithful?

What effect did this have on the church?

On this person's witness?

What are the reasons we are sometimes unfaithful in our area of ministry?

What can we do to remedy that?

Christian workers are trustees of the mysteries of God, to impart these again to those entrusted to their care.

In fact each one of us is entrusted with something that we are to use in the community, be it child-carers, encouragers, working in the "field" as teachers, doctors, nurses, farmers, shop-keepers, mechanics, pen-pushers or whatever else. We are all responsible to use our gifts where we have been placed. We are to be good stewards of what has been entrusted to us. 

I think to a certain extent we all are unfaithful at times. (I know I have been). 

It causes distrust, not only towards that person for then, but also in the future. It is almost as all trust in you as a person is lost. Even after repenting and having proved that a change is there, not often is that person looked at as a new person, but with a stigma to his/her name. 

Unfortunately it is always added "and he/she was such a "good" Christian. Without thinking we are blackening our Lord's name also. 

I think often it is when we are physically "run-down" and don't take a break, also when we allow loneliness to overwhelm us to such an extent we don't think clearly, and basically do not remain in the Word and become cold towards communion with Christ. I think this is the time we are most vulnerable. 

Confess our sin. Return to Christ. Stay in the Word. Rely on the Holy Spirit for continual leading and follow Him. Forgive yourself and go on. 

• 1 year later...

Practically, we, as Christian workers, are stewards of what He has given us authority over on earth. In one sense, we have, through Him, authority over everything -- in a more down-to-earth sense, however, our authority extends to that within reach or power. Over whatever little we have and however few we know we are stewards.

I think the problem with "faithless" stewards is often one of conflicting demands. If we are stewards over, say, our churches' finances and have multiple people from the church claiming their "share" of the pie, it's difficult to know how to spend wisely this money. Stewardship isn't always cut-and-dry. It can be as nuanced as the people impacted by it.

Two claimants may have compelling demands. Both. The steward, then, tries to adjudicate between two good options both of which can't be met. "On the one hand ... on the other hand ..." the logic or correct answer isn't clear to him.

I have not personally been in this position, but I know people who have.

The effect on the church was a lack of direction and focus. Leaders torn between competing demands often make poor decisions or evade decision-making altogether. I suppose this is a form of unfaithfulness but in reality it's a leader trying valiantly to be faithful and true to his calling but unsure how to do it and therefore unwilling to make decisions. 

The remedy is prayer. Begging God for clarity. Asking Him to close doors and guide clearly. Telling Him that a decision has to be made and that you want to make it with as much integrity as possible. Telling God that you want to be used in greater things ... want to pass this test and move on to the next.