JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Culture Change

I moved from Ghana in West Africa to the US about 7yrs ago. As regards religion and ethics I wouldn't say the cultural change was radical but different all the same. I felt quite alone until I settled in a couple of months later. Since we have an appreciable level of religious freedom in the US I didn't face much antagonism against my faith in JESUS the Christ.

For any whose change has been radical, I would encourage to find strength in the promises of our LORD in the Word. And how numerous are His wonderful promises! In Hebrews 4:16 we read "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need." Next is to find other believers, as the Apostle Paul was wont to do every time he entered a new city. Together you will stand stronger and be more resilient against the enemy of our faith.

Shalom! And may we walk so intimately with Him today, it shows...!

Your servant.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never left the US so I don't have experience in that way. But I did go from my Presbyterian Church to a Christian Church which had many different methods of worship.  The dress was much different.  Of course the praise and worship music was not what I was used to.I felt like I stood out among these new people.  I believe in "dressing" for church and you could wear anything at this new church--and they did.  I could feel my faith being pushed back as I was expected to follow this Church's teachings.  I found after maybe 2 months that it was not for me.  I did feel that G-d wanted me to experience this new way to appreciate my "old" way.  I also noticed that not many people ever carried Bibles even thought they had been asked by the Preacher to bring them.  My laid back Church may not be for all people, but this Church was not for me.  I like structure in church.

Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture? What did it feel like? Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time? 

I have not had the privledge of doing anything like this but I hope to in the near future.  My Church encourages Missionary work, we support several different Missionaries and next month I will be attending meetings to find out how I can get started, I would love to go to a different country, my dream is to go somewhere in Africa, Jesus willing.  

I dream of how the feeling will be to actually reach out and help someone in a differenct country, to hold a precious child and help however I can.  This would be the ultimate answer to a prayer for me!  

God will be with me wherever I go!

Q1. (Daniel 1:1~5) Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary and a new and radically different culture? What did it feel like? Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time?

Not exactly, as Daniel did but...... some years ago when my house was being renovated, my friend, a Hindu helped me to get a house for rent in a housing estate where most of the Indians were Hindus and Chinese were practicing Taoists. Though it was only for a month, staying in a multi ethnic, race, religious and cultural society in Malaysia has its own difficulties too. During that challenging time we were invited to two Hindu weddings which took place in the temple nearby and a dinner as it was the month Chinese festival of the Hungry Ghosts. The experience made my family and me stronger in terms of our adaptation to the cultures of different societies and taught us how to cope with or rather how we will be able to say, “that’s not ours.’ We have a God, the one God who is our salvation.

We did not attend the weddings because if we did, we’d be asked to eat (the food offered to their gods) there. Here in Malaysia, Hindus cut goats inside the temple premises as offering to their god. It’ll be the same for weddings (they’ll offer a goat or two to their god (depending on the budget and the number of people invited), praying for a happy and long lasting relationship for the newly wed. Of course it'll be cooked - mutton curry. It’ll be eaten with rice and all that the hosts offer. What did we do ? We went over to the house of the hosts, a day prior to the wedding to hand over the “wedding present” and told them  that we had to take my mother to the doctors for a check-up.

And on Saturday, of the last week of September (and our last week there too) our Chinese neighbors invited us to attend dinner (FOC) in honor of the hungry ghosts at their temple nearby. There they’ll offer roast pigs to the gods of the ghosts and other foods which have been offered to some god. Did we go – A big NO - we told them that we were going for the “sunset mass that evening – two days later we moved back to our own house - relieved.

How can we betray this Jesus who came so that we may have life and that too, in abundance ? How can we as baptized Christians turn our backs on the Son of Man who died on the Cross as punishment for our sins so that we may be sinless in the eyes of God ? I’d rather take up on Jesus’ offer : “To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne.” (Rev 3:21)

Yes, I have had the shock of this.  I went on a missions trip to Haiti.  I had never been outside of Canada or the US to a '3rd world country.'  I saw things that I could not absorb.  I did NOT understand the language of the country and was dependent upon the interpreter 'who was busy.'   I was being 'abused./ attacked by a customs agent because I had filled the form in 'in pencil'.  I did not have a pen.  Then I saw things that I could not believe were still in existence.  e.g.  garbage, raw sewage in rhw =gutters, chickens/goats running loose, a hole in the ground for a toilet.  I felt a sense of disbelief, consternation, until I came to terms with it.  This is all that some people know.  I had seen some things like this in Africa on television but did not relate to it. 

I finally came to terms with it and will do my best through the organization I went with to 'help make things better nd to uplift the people.'  I had applied to 'go as a missionary there BUT the earthquake hit two months later.

Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a radically new and different culture?

No, the closest I could come to that scenario would be in the early seventies when our school system was integrated. The white children were allowed much more freedom at school than the blacks had been. I saw the change as good and bad in some aspects. It was good to be able to express creative ideas and views but then ideas such as a designated area for smoking hardly became an asset.

At the time it definitely felt different but It allowed me the oppotunity to learn about and relate to many people, especially sine this was a military town. However, the choice of what to hold onto and what not to presented problems in later life. At the time I did not have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, but once I surrendered to Jesus and allowed him to take control the Word of God allowed me to see that those choices and circumstances made me better able to relate to people of all cultures. The Word also let me know that I needed to repent for the bad choices, ask for forgiveness and move on. Efforts at wanting acceptance can create problems but casting all our cares on Jesus can shed light, give understanding and resolve all situations.

Did I take my faith with me or allow it to fade into the background?

As I stated I lacked understanding and sought acceptance therefore I said or did things that would or should not be representative of a follower of Jesus Christ. I also did not have a relationship with Christ and that makes all the difference in one's perspective. Thank God I can now see more clearly and if afforded the opportunity to find myself in this type of situation again I pray that I will be bold enough to model the behavior of Jesus Christ.

Yes, my job has afforded me many opportunities to travel overseas for two week work assignments.  I pray for freedom during these many trips to truly share my faith and be evangelistic with those who I encounter who are natives of the particular country.  Because of the nature of my work and because I was there to do a job such times for an open confrontational witness were very limited.  I have attempted to live out my faith and when opportunities did present themselves I would in creative ways attempt to make an impact for the cause of Christ.  I pray for more opportunities and Spirit led creative ways to be an effective witness in such circumstances. 

Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture? What did it feel like? Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time?

My growing up years were one big culture change, from one to another to another.

There was little faith to take with me because it was inadequately seated before moving, and the power of the new place would wipe out whatever was there, and replace it with adaptation. There was always a residual faith that there was a God who would clear things up in the end, but the consciousness of this part of life was diminished by survival in the real world.

Yes I have.  Six years ago after being injured in a care wreck, I was laid up in a nursing home to recover.  The food, pain and rehabilitation was awful hard to endure.  My room mate was hard of hearing, and I am deaf, so I had no one to talk to, and she answered the phone every time it rang, so I could not make a phone call, for she thought it was was for her.  She cried, rang for the nurse or was constantly having personal problems and there was little I could do to help her.  My bed was extremely uncomfortable, I could not call anyone for help or get out of bed.  There was no one who understood my needs, my deafness, or how to make me able to read their lips by speaking distinctly to my face.  I had no choices, no one to help me understand the rules, my rehabilitation, how to get a doctor or nurse or someone who could contact a friend to help me.  My comfortable home, life style, etc were like a dream...and I was in a foreign country with no language skills to communicate my needs...much less my desires.  The loss of my freedoms in my own home and loss of control of even a TV show to watch ( there was only one TV ) made my whole existence very narrow, painful in many ways, with no privacy at all....so YES... I called on the Lord constantly for help, patience, understanding, strength to endure, and for healing.  The time went through Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, My birthday, My son's birthday, Valentine's day almost to Easter....all the special holidays of that year and it was almost as if I did not exist in the world, for no family was near by, and few friends felt welcome in a tiny space with no chair in middle of two deaf persons...one of them being noisy most of the time.  The Lord provide ONE friend who came regularly...and he was God's gift to my sanity during that very long trial.  Also God gave me the patience to try to help and protect my deafened roommate who was also senile.and not being treated too well.  He also gave me a new friend during that time who was a blessing after I went back home.The whole experience was a trial, test of my faith, and God used it to cause me to grow spiritually stronger, in wisdom, understanding, patience, love, kindness, perseverance...all the fruits of His Holy Spirit.  It was not over when I returned home, but  at least I had a comfortable bed to sleep in....smile...PTL  I surely learned appreciation for my many blessings too...smile.

Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different

Not very radically different but yes it was a different culture after marriage and after relocation to the middle east.

What did it feel like?

It was like a new challenge.

Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time?

I did take with me a strong religious background, but it did fade because my reliance was more on myself than on Jesus Christ. 

It wasn't so rapid but it's 6 years now moving to France as at first it was like am alone in this big city with people who doesn't speak English. It was totally different but I learned to adjust very quickly. It felt quite strange at first but going around ten it becomes more welcoming. Yes I did take my faith even though it wasn't really up to date as to say. But the same year I found a church and it started getting back in place in line as it was the same the one I attended before so it wasn't really hard to adjust and meet new people.

Q1. (Daniel 1:1-5) Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture? What did it feel like? Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time?

I haven't ever had to go to another country or change to another culture but I suppose, on a smaller scale, the transition from school life to working life, changing jobs from one career to another altogether, and things like that all could, and have, caused considerable stress to someone like me who is resistant to change. 

In my case the transition from high school to working life was a huge challenge. At 17 I was a man physically but still immature mentally in that I was green to the ways of the world. To my shame I admit that my faith did fade so far into the background that I considered myself a believer in God but not fully Christian any more. It took three career changes and some pretty serious issues to bring me back to the point where I returned to the fold.

Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture?

I have not lived outside the U.S., or lived with any other culture in this country.

What did it feel like?

Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time?

yes. i was new in my faith. i went to india in 2001. i saw a small christian church near our training center in Chinnai, but i did not bother to join or  visit them.i simply fade away from my faith. however on my way back i meet an indian pastor in the airport. i introduced myself as a Christian and we had a good chat. i was very sorry for the lost opportunity i had in meeting new Christian friends in that small Christian church.

Q1. (Daniel 1:1-5) Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture?

My wife is from Germany and her only living relatives live there and in France.  When we have the opportunity to visit them from America it is a real culture blast for me.  Everything is different from the houses and shops to the language spoken and traditions practiced.  Even though I am among friends and relatives, I am like the sixth finger on a hand, about all I can do is nod my head and acknowledge what is going on around me but not understand what is necessarily being said.

What did it feel like?

On the other hand, when the German and French relatives come to visit us I can empathize with them when they don't catch a word, a phrase or the meaning of something written or said.  I can only imagine what it would be like that change was a permanent one and knowing that nothing will ever be like it was yesterday.

Fortunately in my particular case I was able to take my faith with me and practice it.  I always each time that we go to Germany and France I have shared my faith and was able to pray with individuals.

Q1. (Daniel 1:1-5) 

Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture? 

What did it feel like? 

Yes. When I was in my early twenties I moved to a town in a rural area that was predominantly Afrikaans speaking. I went to manage a retail business, so it was essential to be approved by the community. Unable to speak the language, barring a few words, I was forced to learn very quickly. The culture was quite different from what I was used to, but being young I managed to adapt in a very short time. The Afrikaans people are very hospitable and most made me feel most welcome in their community. However, it still was a culture shock. Fortunately there was a very small English church community, so I was able to take my faith with me. My experience just gives me an inkling of what Daniel must have experienced. 

No I haven't.  My changes have been small ones over a period of time.  I could see it would be a big adjustment.  I often think of missionaries going to other countries and some of the changes in food or in customs or weather.  It is hard to make the adjustments, I've heard.

Yes, when moving from the north to the south (USA), I didn't find it easy to assimilate. The culture is completely different. It is not a good feeling, you feel isolated. Absolutely, you take your faith, it would be difficult to navigate without it. This is an excellent time to allow your faith to grow.

Yes, when moving from the north to the south (USA), I didn't find it easy to assimilate. The culture is completely different. It is not a good feeling, you feel isolated. Absolutely, you take your faith, it would be difficult to navigate without it. This is an excellent time to allow your faith to grow.

Q1. (Daniel 1:1-5) Have you ever made a rapid transition between your customary culture and a new and radically different culture? What did it feel like? Were you able to take your faith with you, or did it fade to the background during this time?

I spent some time in a foreign land (in Africa) a long time ago now- in the 80s. I remember it was strange, felt disorientated. It was pretty much a holiday however so that would be a lot different than having to go to another land, out of necessity. It would be very very hard to settle in another land where the culture and belief system, world view of the culture was completely different to your own. I would like to think that my faith in God would have to become stronger, because I would have to rely on God a lot more to help me through all the change and adjustments I would have to make in my life, to live successfully in the new land.