JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

QuestionQ1. (Daniel 9:24) In what ways can we find in Jesus the fulfillment of the six tasks found in verse 24?

ANSWER .

Daniel 9:24 clearly assigns this time of “70 weeks” to Daniel's people (jews)and their holy city; and it becomes a type of the position ,the gift of Jesus the messiah for the Church to know and understand

Hebrews 1/1-2..,

God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds.

To finish the transgression and which is for the Holy city and "thy "

people meaning Jews ,

Fulfillment in Messiah is that he is the righteousness of both Jews and the Gentiles .

He  bore the sins of the people ,and fulfilled the prophecy as the lamb of God who carries the sins of the people 

Rejection of Christ by Jews was the finale of apostasy of Jews though they knew a lot of laws and the commandments of Moses ,they did not see Christ as the  Messiah.

I can only say that he is our righteousness and this is a question whose answer i will be able to give after I study Daniel and Rev very well ..though I fully believe that Christ is My Righteousness and His free Grace has finished the works required for salvation ,  ,

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Daniel 9:24) In what ways can we find in Jesus the fulfillment of the six tasks found in verse 24?         

Jesus is the only One who could bring together all the six tasks found in this verse. Since He died on the cross, He could make the end of sins (Isaiah 53:5), He reconciled us to God (Ephesians 2:3-16) and brought everlasting righteousness (Isaiah 11:1-5).

• 5 years later...

“Seventy ‘sevens’ are decreed for your people and your holy city to finish transgression, to put an end to sin, to atone for wickedness, to bring in everlasting righteousness, to seal up vision and prophecy and to anoint the Most Holy Place.”

Decreed references the word sent by God, that later sprouts, buds and flourishes. The ‘decree’ does not need to therefore refer to a decree or edict set by some earthly king. If we see it in line with the pronouncements to other kingdoms in the book of Daniel (empires of Babylon, Mede & Persia, Greece and Rome that are no more) then this would be very worrying. But the end spoken of here, is wrapped up in the ‘kernel of wheat that falls to the ground and dies’ from John12:24.

Your people are Daniel’s people, the Jews.

Your holy city is Jerusalem and is at the heart of the Jewish people. Often in scripture, Jerusalem or Zion, is synonymous with a people; the Jews or Church. But here, since ‘your people’ has already been mentioned, it is therefore referring to the place only.

To finish transgression, to put an end to sin, to atone for wickedness is the price paid by Jesus dying on the cross for our sins.

To bring in everlasting righteousness is the empowerment to do what is right; the right standing that we can have before God who sees that are sins are no more. God’s justice is satisfied by his son’s sacrifice.

For by one sacrifice he has made perfect forever those who are being made holy. The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First, he says: “This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds.” Then he adds: “Their sins and lawless acts I will remember no more.” And where these have been forgiven, sacrifice for sin is no longer necessary. Hebrews 10:15-18

To seal up vision and prophecy is that in Jesus all vision and prophecy has its fulfilment.

Anoint the Most Holy place [or just Most Holy]. The word ‘anoint’ needs to be understood in the sense of an instrument, being an object or a person, used for God’s special purpose. Here it speaks of Jesus as high priest anointed (Exodus 29:21) to enter the Most Holy place, but best explained in Hebrews:

He did not enter by means of the blood of goats and calves; but he entered the Most Holy Place once for all by his own blood, thus obtaining eternal redemption. The blood of goats and bulls and the ashes of a heifer sprinkled on those who are ceremonially unclean sanctify them so that they are outwardly clean. How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God! Hebrews 9:12-14 NIV

My Interpretation of the 70 Sevens - Not based on Ezra nor Nehemiah, but the building of the first temple (Darius I) & the freeing of a people (Esther) to fill Jerusalem.