JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Jesus the Word

• 5 months later...

(John 1:1-3, 14) In what sense is Jesus the Word of God? Why do you think he is called this? Why does John call him the Word of Life (1 John 1:1)? What does this say to us about the importance of hearing, meditating on, and internalizing Jesus’ words?

Jesus is called the Word of Gdo because He is the Word of God made flesh, incarnated.  He is called the Word of life because He said that His words are Spirit and Life.  Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the LIFE. 

Mary said, Let it be done according to your Word.  The Holy Spirit overshadowed her.  The Word, the seed of God, was conceived.  We are born again as children of God in the same way.  We are born again of incorruptible seed, the living, enduring Word of God .  (1 Pet. 1:23)  As newborn babes we are to crave the milk of the Word to grow.up in our salvation.  (1 Pet. 2:2)  In `1 Cor. 3, Paul told the Corinthians that he couldn't feed them solid food because they weren't ready for it  They were still infants (carnal).  They said that they belonged to men instead of to Christ.  Paul continues to say that only one foundation can be laid, Jesus Christ

In Ephesians 4, Paul says that Jesus gave the five-fold ministry gifts to the church for the building up of the Body of Christ.

"Then we will no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching and by the cunning and craftiness of people in their deceitful scheming. Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ.  From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work."   (Eph. 4:14-16) 

We are born again by the Word of God.  We are to be given the milk of the Word to drink as infants.  But we are to go beyond infancy and eat solid food to grow up into Christ.

Our whole groth process is based on us planting the word of God in our hearts.  I think of the parable of the sower.  Our hearts must be good ground so that we can bear much fruit.   

• 1 year later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:12 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (John 1:1-3, 14) In what sense is Jesus the Word of God? Why do you think he is called this? Jesus' teaching is that which was given to him by his Father, so it's literally God's Word that he imparts to his disciples. 

Why does John call him the Word of Life (1 John 1:1)? In the beginning, the Word was with God. When Jesus was born in the flesh, his word had life, so God's Word then became the Word of Life. 

What does this say to us about the importance of hearing, meditating on, and internalizing Jesus’ words?  It just means that we should honor the words of Jesus in the same way we would honor the words of our Most High God; they are one in the same because the Son, speaks the words of the Father.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2015 at 2:12 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (John 1:1-3, 14) In what sense is Jesus the Word of God? Why do you think he is called this? Why does John call him the Word of Life (1 John 1:1)? What does this say to us about the importance of hearing, meditating on, and internalizing Jesus’ words?

a.  Jesus was in the beginning with God.  He is part of the Godhead.  The Word was with God when He created the heavens and the earth.   

b.  All things were made by Him and without him was not any thing made that was made, and all through the  spoken Word of God.

c.  Jesus was the manifestation of the Father.  He spoke what He heard the Father speak.   The Words He spoke were Spirit and Life. 

d.  We need to wait on the Lord and have ears to hear what the Holy Spirit is saying to us.  We need to meditate on the Word of God internalizing it until it becomes life to us.

• 2 years later...

The mystery of how Jesus is both a man and God is "beyond my paygrade." Somehow, He is both. He both speaks God's words and is God ... as a man.

He is both the speaker and the spoken words. Somehow His words become Him. He is the word of life, the word of God. 

The words and the essence or persons of God are thus conflated.

--

The implications of this, to the degree I understand it, are mindboggling. To hear the word is to have God. To internalize His word is to internalize Him. 

• 6 months later...

Q1. What is your relationship to Jesus as your Rabbi (or teacher)?

ANSWER: My relationship with Jesus as my Rabbi/Teacher, it is a relationship where I can be loved completely, challenged to grow in my faith, and transformed into the exact person He created me to be. I am to teach as the Lord taught. So often we are busy rather than devoted; engaged in good works rather than basking in Jesus' presence. He is our Rabbi, our Teacher, our Master, our Guide, and as such, he deserves our full and constant attention. Because of my relationship to Jesus my Rabbi/Teacher, I am able to continue to perform the following:

a). Love those I teach. During His life on earth, the Savior showed great love and understanding to every person. He taught the poor, the rich, the outcast, and the sinners. He taught us to love everyone and to help one another.

b). Teach Gospel Truths. The Savior taught the truths of the gospel. I too should teach the gospel as revealed in the scriptures and the words of latter-day prophets.

c). Teach by the Spirit. I should seek to have the Spirit of the Lord when I teach. When the Spirit is present, all are strengthened in their love for Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, in their love for each other, and in their commitment to live the gospel.

d). Invite Diligent Learning. The Lord said, “Seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith. Even though each member is responsible to gain a knowledge of the truth through his or her own efforts, as the teacher, I must awaken in others the desire to study, understand, and live the gospel (i.e. awaken and hold the interest of those you teach, encourage participation, help them apply what is taught to the circumstances of their lives)

e). Create a Learning Atmosphere. Those I teach, we must work together to create a positive learning environment.

How often do you come to Him (Jesus) to teach you?

ANSWER: My answer is simple my desires are to come to Jesus to teach me every day. The more I read, the more I learn about God by reading, studying and meditating daily on the Word (daily Bible study), helps me too keep Jesus and His mission top of mind. When I study the Bible regularly, I am more likely to read ALL OF IT. The inspiring accounts of His miracles help me grow closer to Him. And as I come to know Him, I experiences the miraculous effects of His teachings and grace in my life. Additionally, I discovered that by reading the Bible, it fuel an infectious faith that refines me.

Christ's teachings are found in much more than just His parables and sermons; they are also found in the personal example He set for us throughout His life, an example of obedience, humility, and love. The more I study Scripture, specifically Jesus’ and Paul’s ministries, the more convinced I’ve become that sharing the Good News should bleed across everything we do.

How do you receive His (Jesus) teaching?

ANSWER: Accepting Jesus into my heart simply means accepting His way of living, loving, and leading my life. I need to turn away from  my sins, believe that Jesus is God's Son and my Savior, and submit to Him as Lord of my life. By doing so, I receive salvation and eternal life.

How teachable do you think you are?

ANSWER: The word teachable means able to be taught. In order to be taught we have to be humble enough. By being teachable, I must activate the full force and blessings of the Atonement in my life. Being teachable I can be more clearly to see, hear, and adhere to those revelations continuing even today through our living apostles, prophets, seers, and revelators (one that reveals. especially: one that reveals the will of God). Becoming teachable is a process of learning line upon line. In this process I can converts thoughts and feelings into actions.

Furthermore, I must make sure that my desires to receive instruction is a greater force than my comfort in remaining as I am, then I become teachable (we need to start with a willingness to be instructed). I am willing to seek the Lord until I have opened the path of communication from God to my own soul (I need to put myself into a proper frame of mind and heart). I must be very careful not to turn away the small still voice; it will teach me what to do and where to go; it will yield the fruits of the Kingdom (I must be obedient to the instruction I receive). As a result of being teachable, I gain an even greater testimony of my Heavenly Father’s care for me.

Q2. (John 1:1-3, 14) In what sense is Jesus the Word of God?

ANSWER: The Word Is God's Communication To Humanity: … We know from scripture that God the Father is Spirit, meaning He doesn't exist in physical form. So, there is no physical substance to God the Father. Also we know that the third member of the Trinity, the Holy Spirit, is likewise spirit only and therefore invisible. He can only be known by observing His work in the Creation.

Jesus is the physical manifestation of God the Father, just as a spoken word is the physical manifestation of our inner thoughts. Until Jesus took action and created the universe, there was no physical reality to God's presence. But when God "spoke" (i.e., when Jesus took action), the Creation came into existence.

Jesus is the Word because He was the means through which the Father brought all physical reality into existence and because He is the One Who represents the Father's invisible nature and character to that creation. Just as your spoken word is the physical manifestation of your thoughts and personality, Jesus is the "Word" of the invisible God to His creation.

Why do you think He (Jesus) is called this (the Word of God)?

ANSWER: It is possible that the term "word" is used the same manner as does the Old Testament, the communication of God to humanity. This is exactly what Jesus did, He revealed to the world the Word of God. Jesus was the personification of the written and spoken Word. In the Old Testament God revealed His word through the prophets while in the New Testament the word of God was revealed in a Person - God the Son.

In summary, Jesus is called, "the Word of God." Although Scripture does not define what is meant by that term it could refer to the fact that He is the personification of the written and spoken word. The testimony that God revealed through the prophets during the Old Testament period was now made human with the coming of Christ. Hence the Word became flesh.

Why does John call Him (Jesus) the Word of Life (1 John 1:1)?

ANSWER: The “word of life” is both the good news of the gospel of what God has done for sinners in Jesus Christ as well as the word of revelation found in Scripture that explains what that gospel is. It is the word of “life” because it is there that we find truth regarding where life may be found, namely, in Christ.

John is a faithful witness of what He is proclaiming to us. What John is proclaiming (the Word of Life) is not something he made up. He is a faithful witness of the things he is telling us about. He will also explain what he saw, heard, and handled. Jesus is the one who became flesh and dwelt among us. This is why John said he touched Him. He heard Him, saw Him, and touched Him. Jesus is more than a concept or an idea. He is personal, present, and wants to be integral to our lives.

The title, “the Word of Life” for Jesus Christ, signifies Him as the pre-existent One from eternity past who created all things, and is the source of all life: physical and spiritual. He was the Father’s agent in the creation of the universe, and then He filled it with life. The Word of God is life-changing and life-sustaining and life-giving. If only the world could grasp the benefits available to the soul who seeks God through His Word, be þwilling to see it as truth, clinging to it at every turn. For the Word of God is life-changing and life-sustaining and life-giving.

What does this say to us about the importance of hearing, meditating on, and internalizing Jesus’ words?

ANSWER: The importance of hearing, meditating on, and internalizing Jesus’ word: … Hearing God's Word is a foundation of existence and welfare of God's people. The importance of hearing God's word means meditating on His Word until we receive, through it, His message for us. Thus alone can our minds be renewed and conformed growingly to the mind of Christ. He speaks to those who listen. Whatever it may be that keeps you from hearing from God, you must disconnect yourself. God grants that it may be remedied at once and permanently. When we ask the Lord to speak to us so we can hear from Him, we then must open our Bible and seek the face of the Lord earnestly, and we too shall hear His voice.

Meditating on the Word of God and responding in obedience, will give us success and make us prosperous. The importance of meditating on God's word means meditating on the Scripture which strengthens us for obedience by strengthening our love for God and others. By keeping God's law in our mouth and meditating upon it, we would be strengthened to lead faithfully.

The value of internalizing God's word involves a deeper reflection on the meaning and application of a verse. If we have God's Word in our hearts and minds, then we will be easily reminded to not sin. When temptation rears its ugly head, we can be reminded by God's truth of the consequences of that sin and a righteous response to it. Consider Jesus when he was tempted in the wilderness by Satan