JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Jesus Our Mediator

Pastor Ralph

Jesus' Spirit is in us as well as outside of us, therefore He alone can mediate between our true inner nature and His perfection as God.

I understand the desire for a mediator beside Jesus, the need to concretize a very abstract relationship and make it more easily understandable, but this is not necessary and is, in fact, contrary to true faith.

Jesus is my advocate just as a lawyer advocates for a guilty party or a diplomat tries to reach agreement between two parties with nothing in common.

I am not a direct advocate for the poor and powerless. I care for my mostly blind, very elderly father, watching over him as he dies -- perhaps this is being an advocate?

• 7 months later...

Q4. (1 Timothy 2:5-6; 1 John 2:1) In what sense is Jesus our “one Mediator between God and man”?

ANSWER: A mediator is an official “go-between” who acts as a link between two parties to reconcile their differences. The term literally means “one who stands in between.” Because of our sinful condition, human beings need a mediator to negotiate peace with God—and that person is Jesus Christ: Only the sacrifice of the sinless, spotless Lamb of God could fully pay the ransom required to set people free from sin and eternal death. Jesus took our punishment on Himself, making it possible for us to experience forgiveness of sin and freedom from its destructive control. There is one mediator between God and man means that Christ is the only way to God the Father. If we want to experience peace with God and a restored relationship of joy in His presence, we must come “by the blood of Jesus, by a new and living way opened for us through the curtain, that is, his body”

Jesus Christ is the one mediator, the one and only Savior of the world. There is no other go-between. We come to God through faith in His Son, who is the only means of salvation. Religion cannot save us. Good works won’t make us right with God. Nothing but faith in Jesus Christ is sufficient to bridge the gap between sinful humanity and a Holy God.

What happens to this personal relationship with Jesus when we ask a minister or a saint to intercede for us?

ANSWER: God appreciates people who pray fervently for others facing trials.

God urges us not only to pray and commit our burdens to Him, but to seek out others who will help us carry our burdens by their prayers. The Bible says, “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ” (Galatians 6:2).

Do this believing that there was power in others praying. This is why we shouldn’t hesitate to ask others to pray for us. God loves us, and one of the ways He shows  His love to us is by promising to hear us when we pray. God sent His Son into the world so that the barrier separating us from God, a barrier caused by our sin, could be destroyed. Because Christ gave His life for us, the Bible says “we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand” (Romans 5:2).

Does this mean we should indiscriminately ask everyone we know to pray for us, no matter how personal or delicate the situation might be? This may be appropriate at times, but not always. Sometimes our burdens shouldn’t be widely shared, because people who don’t know us may not be able to pray intelligently. Jesus prayed with His disciples, but frequently He also prayed alone, because even His closest disciples couldn’t have understood the burdens He was carrying.

Don’t let your pride, or anything else, keep you from asking others to pray for you. Prayer is one of our greatest privileges, and the Bible’s promise is true: “If we ask anything according to his will, he hears us” (1 John 5:14).

How is Jesus our Advocate before the Father?

ANSWER: Jesus is our Advocate before the Father means that our Savior (Jesus) stands before the Father to plead our case. He is literally our lawyer. When you mess up, He does the legwork, He makes appeals, He files motions, and He defends us even when we were wrong because of His grace, empathy and forgiveness. He is the fulfiller of the Law, and He is actively fighting for us.

He advocates for us to be judged by the Law of mercy because our Lawyer already paid every penalty. Even when we are guilty of messing up, the verdict is not guilty. And He has a host of angels to enforce His verdict. He has never lost a case. Imagine; the God of the universe is our personal lawyer.

Run to Him! He will set you free from a life of sin. He will be your Advocate and will empower you to advocate for others.

In what ways are you an advocate for the powerless in your community?

ANSWER: Community advocacy is a strategic approach to influencing outcomes and driving change on behalf of your community. It involves representing your community's rights and needs to the level of government best able to respond. We currently live in a society in which individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities are not fully appreciated and included as valued members of a community.

The ways in which I am an advocate for the powerless in my community are: speaking up when I see someone being insensitive or discriminatory against ALL people, especially for people with disabilities. Very supportive of people with disabilities. Actively listen to the needs and passions of the individuals. Support and love them unconditionally. Have managed several group homes for people with autism. Continue to assist the seniors in my apartment building (cook meals, push to get maintenance issues done right away, etc …). I must continuously strive and to use my extensive education, skills, dedication, and training to support the people with disabilities, so that they can be recognized as productive members of an inclusive society.

How do you function as a reconciler, a mediator, a peacemaker as you serve Christ?

ANSWER: How do I function as a … as I serve Christ?

a). Reconciler - Reconcilers serve as witnesses to Christ when they mediate between parties. Using a process to facilitate godly discussion, they coach all parties to apply God's Word to the conflict. As mediators, reconcilers do not make decisions for the parties but guide them in reaching biblically faithful solutions.

I encourage people to reconcile through confession and forgiveness. Throughout the process, they proclaim Christ and His ministry of reconciliation.

b). Mediator - Functioning as a go-between or intermediary between two people or parties, in order to initiate a relationship, promote mutual understanding or activity, or effect a reconciliation after a dispute. Do not make decisions for the parties but guide them in reaching biblically faithful solutions.

c). Peacemaker - First, we must forgive others as God has forgiven us in Christ Jesus. The peacemaker initiates reconciliation when others have wronged them. The peacemaker is quick to repent when they have wronged others. The point of peacemaking isn't just to avoid violence, but rather to radically bring about peace.

When we talk about making peace, we’re talking about reconciliation. We’re talking about doing whatever is in our power to build bridges and create opportunities for relationships to be mended and strengthened.

1. Take responsibility for reconciliation. It also means that you’re willing to do what you can to improve other folks’ relationships, too.
  2. Avoid sweeping generalizations about others. As children of God, it’s our responsibility to destroy barriers and walls of hostility, not add to them. DO NOT buy into representations of others that solidify those divisions.
  3. Cultivate a gentle spirit. It might be surprising to discover, but “nice” isn’t necessarily the goal of a peacemaker. “Nice” tends to circumvent the hard work of bridge building. Gentleness addresses the way we wade into difficult situations. It’s a trait that helps breed peace and calm in the midst of high-stakes discussion. Sometimes peacemaking entails saying difficult things that others don’t want to hear.
  4. Be patient with others (and yourself). Patience is so critical because it gives us the stamina to work through the typical process of making peace. There isn’t always a quick fix to relational brokenness. Patience flows from our faith and hope that you’re doing real kingdom work in reconciliation, and the outcome will be worth the effort.
  5. Don’t vent about others. Being a peacemaker is about consistency of character. People need to be able to trust you and your motives. When you vent about difficult people and situations, people doubt your sincerity and don’t feel that they can be open with you. As peacemakers, it’s very important that we avoid gossip and complaining about others. Venting about others also impacts our attitude. Jesus tells us that peacemakers will be recognized as children of God.