JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Jesus the Way

Q3. (John 14:6; 10:7, 9) In light of all the world's religions, how can Jesus be the Way to God, the exclusive door or gateway?

ANSWER: Jesus Himself says in John 14:6, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” He is not a way, as in one of many; He is the way, as in the one and only. No one, regardless of reputation, achievement, special knowledge, or personal holiness, can come to God the Father EXCEPT through Jesus. Jesus is the only way to heaven for several reasons.

Jesus was “chosen by God” to be the Savior (Peter 2:4).

Jesus is the only One to have come down from heaven and returned there (John 3:13).

He is the only person to have lived a perfect human life (Hebrews 4:15).

He is the only sacrifice for sin (1 John 2:2; Hebrews 10:26).

He alone fulfilled the Law and the Prophets (Matthew 5:17).

He is the only man to have conquered death forever (Hebrews 2:14-15).

He is the only Mediator between God and man (1 Timothy 2-5).

He is the only man whom God has “exalted . . . to the highest place” (Philippians 2:9). We only have one means of entry. We must go through Christ to be included in the Lord's sheepfold. He is the door, and there's no side entrance or secret passage. Only through Christ can we gain access to the family and kingdom of God. Jesus is the only way to heaven.

Why does this offend the world?

ANSWER: Many claim to believe in the Creator, the God of the Bible, or even claim to be Christians, all while denying the most basic and central truths of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Also, many deny these supernatural claims that Jesus actually rose from the dead, that He lives even now and so reject Christ. The good news of Jesus Christ, the genuine message, is very offensive. It cannot but be so. The offensive nature of the Gospel cannot be removed without changing its powerful message.

The offensiveness of a message does not negate its truthfulness. Truth is often offensive. The real issue is not whether a message gets under our skin, but whether or not it is vital information we need. We must humble ourselves before God and His truth to be forgiven and freed from sin and destruction. Jesus said to some rejecting Him, “You refuse to come to Me that you may have life” ( John 5:40) We are not to allow our feelings or pride to hold on to offenses in the message and walk away. We are to humble ourselves and believe.

Since it is true, how can we most winsomely declare this truth to our generation?

ANSWER: We most winsomely declare this “TRUTH,” to our generation by beginning in an age-appropriate way. Teaching our generation about Jesus, we can do this through reading and discussing Scripture with them. I find that it is easier to share and teach the Gospel straight from the Bible. Use key points of the gospel and some scripture to help guide you in understanding and explaining the gospel.

Began by explaining that: …

1. God created humans to be in relationship with Him. Colossians 1:16
  2. Humans sinned and sin leads to separation. Romans 3:23; Romans 6:23
  3. God gave Jesus as a sacrifice to pay the price for our sin. John 3:16-17
  4. God gives us the opportunity to accept the free gift of salvation and eternal life (becoming spiritually alive). Ephesians 2:8-9; Romans 10:9-10; John 17:3

The Bible instructs us on how to respond to the gospel. Often, when an individual whether a child or an adult truly grasps the gospel they walk themselves through the steps below without a list or a guide. Personally I like having these key points as a references in my own mind to remind myself as I walk a child or an adult through responding to the gospel when they are ready. DO NOT force anyone through these steps: …

1. Admit & Ask: We admit that we are sinners in need of a Savior. We ask Jesus to forgive us for our sins and turn away from our sin.
  2. Believe: We believe that Jesus is God’s son and that what Jesus did paid the price for our sin.
  3. Confess & Commit: We confess our faith in Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord. We commit to a life of knowing and following him.

We are to put emphasis on the “TRUTH.” Jesus doesn’t say that He merely speaks the truth: He claims to be the embodiment of TRUTH. He doesn’t say He can give life: He tells us He is the SOURCE OF LIFE itself. And He doesn’t say He is one pathway to God among many: He asserts He is the ONLY WAY.