JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Fear vs. Courage

Joshua could dwell on the punishment of Moses and Aaron, he could dwell on the rebelliousness of the people and his own ability to deliver them to the promised land. He may dwell on the fact that he does not have what it takes to talk God out of destroying the people when they err.

To be strong and courageous means that one must establish oneself, fortify oneself and be consistent in your actions/decisions. Be strong confirm yourself as God's representative. To be courageous would be to act on  God's word even if it doesn't make sense

Weakness then would be failing God as he did with the Gibeonites, thinking that it was a small decision and he could have handled it on his own. Again his weakness is that he does not have the whole picture and that is thinking is finite. Strength then would be always relying on God.

The relationship between fear and faith is much like the relationship between grace and sin; the more fear you have the more your  faith must develop since fear allows you to rely on God. The more faith you have , the more your fear diminishes

No, fear is doubt, when you are courageous and that means totally trusting God, you are not supposed to have fear.

I think he could fear his physical enemies, he could fear failing, and he could fear the Israeli people turning on him and not following his leadership.

I think being strong and courageous means totally relying on God’s strength and power and remembering that we are not alone, that God is with us. That anyone plus God is a majority.

I think weakness is relying on self. Strength is relying on God.

Fear is looking at circumstances. Faith is looking at God.

Yes, I think you can be fearful and be courageous. Faith is trusting obedience. Trusting in the One who calls you to action.

• 2 weeks later...

Q3. (Joshua 1:6-8) What kinds of things might Joshua be tempted to fear if he were to allow himself to dwell on his anxieties? What does it mean to “be strong and very courageous”? What is the distinction between weakness and strength in Joshua’s situation? What is the relationship between fear and faith? Can you be courageous and still be fearful?

Fear of indigenous peoples, fear of mis-reading God's directions, fear that if they lose in battle or if things don't go well, the people will come back on him.   To be strong is to act in faith.   Strength is going forward.   Fear is human.   Total faith would be without fear.   Humans can have courage and move forward and still be terrified as in a soldier in battle.    He obey orders, moves forward, but still is fearful.

• 8 months later...
On 9/18/2016 at 11:24 PM, JanMary said:

Faith is believing in what God says, regardless of what the circumstances tell us is reality and then acting on His word.

Amen! I chose this Bible study but I actually think it chose me. I have been going through cluster headaches for the past 23 years. My life verse is Joshua 1:9 and I have that posted right in front of me where I can see it.

1. What kinds of things might Joshua be tempted to fear if he were to allow himself to dwell on his anxieties? I feared the headaches coming at night, waking me out of bed, making me vomit, and there not being any recourse or way to escape. I also discovered I actually have an entire list of fears and anxieties and the devil uses each of them against me in many ways. Joshua could have been fearful of his age, the fact that he was now responsible for a nation. Or the fact that he didn't want to screw up. 
  2. What does it mean to "be strong and very courageous"? Be strong in the power of God. If we had to be strong in our own might, we would fail each time. It is his strength that we need. Being very courageous is important. It means trusting Him wherever he tells He will lead us and to do it believing in faith that He is right there guiding us. The image I had in my mind the entire time I was pacing the floor with my headaches this morning was of Jesus in the boat telling Peter to come. And He told me to come, hurting, crying, suffering, He told me to come, and then He walked with me through my pain, empathizing with me all the way.
  3. What is the distinction between weakness and strength in Joshua's situation?
  4. What is the relationship between fear and faith? Fear is the opposite of faith. 
  5. Can you be courageous and still be fearful? 

• 6 months later...

What kinds of things might Joshua be tempted to fear if he were to allow himself to dwell on his anxieties?

Battle / Failing / Rebellion

What does it mean to “be strong and very courageous”?

Be faithful to God and follow His guidance.

What is the distinction between weakness and strength in Joshua’s situation?

Joshua's strength is to follow through and trust in the Lord.

What is the relationship between fear and faith?

Fear is not following through Gods guidance and faith is following through knowing that God is with you.

Can you be courageous and still be fearful?

Absolutely

• 1 month later...

If Joshua dwell on his anxieties, he wouldn't do anything but live in fear.

Strong in the Lord and Courageous to be obedient

Joshua knew that he had to depend on God just like Moses had done. He couldn't do it in his own strength. ( This is the reason that God gave us his spirit because he knew that we can't do his will without the spirit)

Yes I believe that you can be courageous and still be fearful. You can be obedience to God but fear the response of people.

• 3 years later...

Q3. (Joshua 1:6-8) What kinds of things might Joshua be tempted to fear if he were to allow himself to dwell on his anxieties? What does it mean to “be strong and very courageous”? What is the distinction between weakness and strength in Joshua’s situation? What is the relationship between fear and faith? Can you be courageous and still be fearful?

Imagine taking over from Moses and returning to the Promised Land where no one followed you the first time?

Imagine the fear and doubt of "will this work? " 

Imagine finding yourself responsible for nearly a million people?

Imagine seeing God's miracles and knowing He is on your side?

I am blessed to be in my Safest Place yet, resting in God, waiting on Him. I know Bye has never let me down and never will

• 1 year later...

Q3. (Joshua 1:6-8)

What kinds of things might Joshua be tempted to fear if he were to allow himself to dwell on his anxieties?

What does it mean to "be strong and very courageous"?

What is the distinction between weakness and strength in Joshua's situation?

What is the relationship between fear and faith?

Can you be courageous and still be fearful?

How to get across the swift flowing river with the vast assembly of people?  Will the people accept him as their leader? Joshua was no longer young. The people had proved to be stubborn, rebellious and stiff-necked in the past, would they be like that under his leadership? The people currently living in the land were strong nations who knew the layout of the land, it was strange to Joshua and the Israelites.  .  .  .   These and many more like them.

Trusting in the Lord as your true source of strength.

Joshua was to be strong in trusting God's guidance and not waver in disbelief, which would prove him to be weak.

Faith is trusting God's guidance even when you cannot see the outcome, whereas fear is doubting that the leading is correct.  Doubting that you are hearing correctly.

The fearful will not be the fear that you are doubting God's leading it would sooner be a cautious way of being instead of bold and a know it all kind of attitude being displayed.