JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

On 9/27/2017 at 3:17 PM, bertha said:

Why, in this passage, do you think the prophet calls all mankind to be still before him? In the context of God aroused to protect his people from attack, why is silence appropriate? For the enemy of God, what does silence represent? For the believer, what does silence before God represent?

To be still before the Lord is to show reverence, to acknowledge that He is All Sovereign God, our Creator, the Only God, our Lord and Savior. God is about to do something with His people, in HIs people, and for His people. Silence is required in the midst of all the movement going on. People busy in different affairs of their lives. This was a call to a standstill. God wants our complete attention. He wants to reveal Himself to us. How can He do this when our minds are occupied in other things.

For the enemy of God, silence represents defeat. God is about to fight for His people and therefore destruction awaits them. To the enemy, it's a reason to tremble, to run and hide. "Rumors" were that Israel's God fought for them and had defeated previous armies and their kings. No one can stand against Israel's God.

God wants the people to let Him take care of their enemies. Do not worry. Do not fret. Do not be afraid. Take courage. God has your back. Trust God. Do not try to help God. Be still and watch what God is about to do. God will avenge their enemies.

Being silent before God means to allow God to act. We do most of the talking when we come before God in prayer. We don't allow God to answer. Therefore, God says "be still". Stop interrupting me, I am about to give you your breakthrough, but you won't let me. Stop moving. Trust me. Listen to what I have to say. Is there anything impossible for the Lord? Just worship Me! Be obedient, and just do as I say. Be still.

Amen!! Why is it so hard for us to do this??? Worship, praise, be obedient, be still before him??? Trust, obey, love ...we come before him with so many words and thoughts!! Be still in his presence!!. He already knows our needs!!! He is God Almighty and Everlasting! He does not need our help or assistance to perform!! As if we could!!!  Depend on him and trust in him to what he promise us he would do!!