JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Motivation to return to Jerusalem

Q2. (Ezra 3) Rebuilding the temple in order to restore worship is the point of all this work. Is your personal worship what it should be? What foundations do you need to lay again in your personal restoration and revival of faith?

I think that personal worship will always have room for improvement. Seems like I don’t have that “perfect balance”, but then it’s not a perfect world either so we make the best of everything. I really like my quiet time with God in the early morning, hours before anybody is moving and sometimes something happens to distract me, but, I know the whole day can’t be early morning.

Returning to more time studying in the Word, which I have recently picked up on a bit. I have trouble with my eyes and even with good glasses have trouble focusing due to a vision defect, but I just received a large print Bible and have returned to more time per day. I can access many versions on my pc but that isn’t the same as having that book in front of me, probably the old-fashioned thing in me but I find it much easier to go back and forth through different parts using pages. This is a question that will be answered in upcoming days and weeks now that it has been put to me and I appreciate this class for having done that.

• 2 years later...

Q1. (Ezra 1:5-6) Why did only some return to Jerusalem when given the opportunity? What are the likely characteristics of those who return vs. those who stay behind in Babylon? Why do only some answer Jesus' call to follow him on his journey to a radically different kind of lifestyle and mission? What are the characteristics of true disciples?

Ezra says as God moved those to answer the call. so some God already knew they would not answer the call

maybe they were to old , had large family's or to comfortable . but it would take a committed group to

walk all the way back to Jerusalem with belongings and family. and knowing that this was a chance to be part of prophesy

the ending of the 70 years and the building of the temple detailed in Daniels 70 weeks that triggers the coming prince

Deuteronomy  30 promises a return of those that are committed to want to return to the covenant and then God will take them back to the land he promised and then God will circumcises their hearts . this is the promise of the messianic kingdom. that is yet to be fullfilled

even today the Jews that are in the land have compromised . and so all the earth moans for the day of the Lords return.