JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Abiding and Fruit

Abiding is staying in His presence, perhaps in His shadow, talking and listening, sometimes sitting quietly. Abiding is personal. Individual. It's not fellowship or corporate, but one-on-one with God. It's one grape to a twig, not a bunch to a branch.

As I commune by sticking to the twig, He comes into me like water and nutrients. I am fed by Jesus. He also abides in me but does not receive nourishment from me, as I do from Him. His abiding in me is fundamentally different than my abiding in Him. I'm not a branch to Him, though he is a branch to me. I'm just a little grape. He is my life-giver.

There is, however, a flow from me to Him and that is my waste products which could be poisonous if not carried away by the branch. Life circulates, then. He gives me sustenance as well as takes away my bad stuff.

He gives me food and water and minerals and whatever I need to live-- I give him my spill-off, the toxins that have built up in me. Because of this circulating, I can grow and mature. I sweeten. Fatten. Change colour. Become useful.

--

Fruits are not souls saved. That's the harvest taken as a whole. Fruits are individuated. Grapes may grow in bunches but they are only singly fruit.To bear fruit means to grow a fruit to it's readiness to be used. A small grape is worthless -- hard, sour and inedible. A ripened grape is soft, colourful and sweet. I have to ripen in Him so He can use me.  

• 1 year later...

Q1. We need to abide in Jesus so that we can have a personal relationship with Him, and get to know Him and what He would like us to become through our relationship with Him. By abiding in Jesus we will grow more like Him be more in step with Him and desire what He wants more than what we want. 
I don’t understand the question’Is it accurate to define fruits as souls saved.’ Reading other people’s answers doesn’t help. If I am walking in step with the Lord and attached to the vine, I am bearing fruit, so I am a saved soul. Some people think they are Christian’s but the Bible tells us that some people will be told ‘I never knew you’. And they will not get to spend eternity in God’s presence.