JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Grace

(Ephesians 2:8-9) What is a simple definition of "grace"?

Grace is neither earned nor deserved. It is unmerited favour. 

Why aren't legalism and "works" to please God compatible with grace?

Legalism are a set of rules that have to be followed thus making it "works" that are seen. This is not compatible with grace because it is a GIFT which is not deserved or earned and works are things done that earn some kind of favour. 

What part does our faith have to do with our salvation?

By GRACE are ye saved through FAITH. 

If I can give an illustration I would say that a GIFT  is placed for me to take. This GIFT is SALVATION. I didn't work for it nor do I deserve it. But it is there ready for me. Only once I accept this GIFT is it worth anything to me. That I do by FAITH. 

• 1 year later...

1. The most simple and short definition of grace is this: God's unmerited favor.

2. When we seek God's favor by obeying laws we believe are of God, the vector of salvation moves from us to Him. That is the opposite of grace which moves from God to us.

3. I find the third question difficult to answer. As Pastor Ralph wrote, we are prompted by God through His prevenient grace to desire salvation. It's like priming an engine -- we won't "turn over" without help. So, in this way, our salvation is conditioned on God's calling us toward Him. BUT ... and this is where I'm confused, once prompted/primed/called, we must respond positively. We, too, have a role in salvation which is responsive. We don't initiate, but react.

Having said this, from our human perspective, it "feels" as if we initiate our response, that it is wholly our own. As we respond to an altar call, for example, we are in control of ourselves. We could choose NOT to go forward or to respond. The choice "feels" as if it is ours. But ... I have read stories about people who were so emotionally or spiritually overwhelmed by a preacher or message that they rushed toward the front of the church, seemingly unable to control themselves. The shaking and tears that accompany salvation seem uncontrollable, too. 

Some seed falls on rocky, un-nourishing soil. What does this mean? Does it mean that the gospel message never had a chance because God had not yet overturned the soil? Does it mean that the seed could have grown, but landed in the wrong spot at the wrong time? Are there people -- my fahter comes to mind -- who are simply so hardened they are incapable of hearing the message? If the Spirit doesn't soften the soil in their hearts, the message will not be heard and accepted, but this begs the question of a human's responsibility to respond to the gospel message when it is heard.