JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Prioritizing Allegiances

:) When God ask us to do something, we have a choice. But if we are to please God we must obey. Scripture says in the new testament that He would rather have obedience than sacrifice.

The same applies to gideon-We are to honor our father and mother,but not to the point of disobeying God.

Gideons justification was that God told him to destroy the altar and pole of Baal that

was his fathers. Gideon obeyed God.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a situation like this one where your mother or father are supporting something contrary to God or sinning a son or daughter should show them no disrespect but obey God instead.

Gideon's justification for his actions is that God told him what to do. We should obey God rather than men.

Glenn

Jesus told us in Matthew 10:37 if you love father or mother more than me you are not worthy of being mine. This was true in the Old Testament as well as New. Gideon had to make a choice and he chose to obey what God had told him to do even though it was not in line with his father's practices. Apparently Joash had allowed himself to be influenced by others to place the altar on his property because he came to full support of Gideon and reminded the protesters that if Baal had any power he could take care of the matter himself.

2. How are we to obey the commandment to "Honor your father and your mother" in the kind of situation Gideon finds himself?

God is to always come first; even above our families. He did what was right. In fact, he saved his family from worshipping other gods.

What justification does Gideon have for his action? (Matthew 10:37). Matthew 10:37 (NRSV)

"Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me."

We are to honor our fathers and mothers as long as it does not conflict with what God has told us to do. We have to choose whom we will serve man or God.

The justification Gideon has for his action is stated in Matt. 10:37. He that loves his family more than God is not worthy of Him.

There will be times when we will have to make a choice between God and family. We should always put God first in our life. Living our faith can be a testimony to others.

Although we are told to honor our father and mother we must nevertheless put God first even in the circumstance that we may be going against our parents. God must come before every thing else. In fact by honoring God before everything else we are also honoring our parents Gideon was obeying God when he went apparently against his father

We are to obey the commandment to honor our father and mother in Gideon's situation by first honoring and obeying God. If we cannot obey our heavenly Father first and foremost, it stands to reason that obedience to earthly authority is compromised.

Gideon is justified according to the noted scripture Matthew 10:37. If we cannot place God as number one in our lives, then we are not worthy to follow Him. This can be a difficult concept. I sometimes struggle with pleasing loved ones versus pleasing God.

Luminosa

Q2. How are we to obey the commandment to "Honor your father and your mother" in the kind of situation Gideon finds himself? What justification does Gideon have for his action? (Matthew 10:37).

+ Jesus tells us we are to put God *first* always. We honor our parents but God must come even before them.

+ Jesus discourse here is fearful as He says: we are to take up His Cross and follow Him, no one is worthy if we love parents (or anyone or thing) more then the Lord. The cross is a symbol of death here and this applied to Gideon and to us. Gideon's struggle here is to do God's will - even over his father's wishes.

+It is only through God's grace that I am still alive. :wub:

[Paraphrase of Rom 8:39 Liv.Bible- nothing will be able to separate us from the Love of God, ... for our Lord Jesus Christ died for us.]

Edited by Omie

Q2. How are we to obey the commandment to "Honor your father and your mother" in the kind of situation Gideon finds himself? What justification does Gideon have for his action? (Matthew 10:37).

Gideon's father wasn't following God at the time, and at the time that God entered into the relationship with Gideon would have became his father. So when Gideon obeyed God he was honoring his father in Heaven. Gideon's earthly father didn't tell Gideon to stop, so Gideon wasn't disobeying him either. As already presented here by others, God receives the honor first above all, then we fall back and honor our parents. The justification that Gideon has for his action is that God, whom he tested to make sure it really was God, had told him to do this and he was obeying God Himself.

Yes we are to honor our parents however God comes first in everything we do At that time his father wasnt a Godly man after all he took care of the idles Our parents raise us and we are to respect them and their wishes but we are responsiable for our salvation and by Gideon making the first move his father may follow .Put nothing before God

We have to obey God first, Gideon was not dishonoring his father as his father was not serving God at that time.

We are to love God more that anything in our lives. He is ALWAYS to be put first.

We have to obey God first, Gideon was not dishonoring his father as his father was not serving God at that time.

We are to love God more that anything in our lives. He is ALWAYS to be put first

>> Gideon although there was a bit of worries in his actions, he found himself obeying God. Gideon knew that we have to fear our Creator rather than to fear his father whom God created. I would do the same and put my trust in Him. Gideon believes that God is aware of his concern and and he believes in His power to change one's heart. That God can change his father's heart's desire. This is what God did to Gideon's father that if we put our trust in him, He will fulfill His promise......he will never leave us and He.will give us a reward that nobody could offer except Him and that is everlasting life.

"Though the fig tree does not bud and there re no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD. I will be joyful in God my Savior." (Habakkuk 3:17-18)

May our God helps us to resist the world and to put Him first before anything else. In Jesus name, Amen.

:rolleyes:

How are we to obey the commandment to "Honor your father and your mother" in the kind of situation Gideon finds himself? What justification does Gideon have for his action? (Matthew 10:37).

If there is a conflict between what our parent(s) would want us to do and what God has clearly told us to do, then we must follow God first. Gideon put God first and was right in doing so. He showed that he loved God more than his father.

It sounds like his father was completely surprised by Gideon's actions--that Gideons didn't discuss what he did/was going to do with him. Either there wasn't time or Gideon didn't out of fear. It may have upset his father to be in the dark. Thankfully in this situation the father wised up and realized that God was the one they should be giving honor too. His son's action must have put him to shame once he realized how he had endangered his family by disobeying God. It doesn't always happen that way though, and we must be prepared to put God first no matter what--even if our family disowns us and never speaks to us again. :(

Gideon, in order to honor his father, must take courage and do the very thing which would seem to bring dishonor to his father. Tearing down the Asherah pole and the altar to Baal which Joash had apparently endorsed, would be "disobedient" and "disrespectful." And in that culture, doing something so unpopular in the town would also bring the disapprobation of the entire city, and shame on the head of Joash.

However, Gideon focused on pleasing God rather than man (either father or townspeople), and became the mature one in his family, challenging Joash to behave honorably as Gideon's actions drew out the godly man which Gideon knew dwelt inside Joash.