JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

4. Baptism - Anointing

1. What do you think Jesus was saying to the Father as he was praying after his baptism? (verse 21)

I believe that He was thanking His Father for the “open heaven” because His father said He was pleased with Him, and this was like his anointing for his ministry.

1. Why would Jesus be baptized along with all the sin-laden people at the river that day?

He wanted to demonstrate he was fully man and man was required to be obedient to God as other men were. Although Jesus was sinless, He became the perfect man, the               pattern for all men.

Wasn't he in danger of mis-communicating to them who he was?

Not at all, He did not communicate anything, it was His Father who declared that  “ You are my Son, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.”

1. Why do you think God staged the dove to descend in a visible way? (verse 22)

God staged the dove because it symbolized the spirit of God Himself.

4. What was the significance of the Holy Spirit descending upon Jesus at this time in his life?

The significance of the Holy Spirit descending upon Jesus at this time in his life was to identify and to endue Jesus with the power of God.

5.   How did Jesus interpret the Voice that sounded from heaven?

I believe Jesus interpret the voice from heaven as a stamp of approval from His Father

• 2 weeks later...

No, Jesus was already the Messiah and divine right from the womb. At birth he was given the name Emmanuel, God is with us. It was decided he would come from Heaven to earth and shed his blood for the remission of sins. He did not ceased to be God, he put aside his divine attributes and took on human form, and was dependant on the Holy Spirit whilst going about the Father's business on earth.

• 2 months later...

M1. What do you think Jesus was saying to the Father as he was praying after his baptism? (verse 21) I believe that the Lord Jesus Christ was talking to His Father because He knew that He couldn't do it without the help of His Father knowing that He was doing the very will and plan and purpose of His Father for us as the part of humanity. He knew that His ministry's whole mission and end led up to one thing which was the cross at Calvary. The trial by the Pharisees and scribes and even Pontius Pilate all led up to the ultimate of that God had in mind which was salvation and redemption by the blood of Jesus Christ. 

Why would Jesus be baptized along with all the sin-laden people at the river that day? Wasn't he in danger of mis-communicating to them who he was? The number one reason the Lord chose to get baptized by his cousin John the Baptist was both to obey the Lord, His Father in heaven but also to identify with the sinners in the Jordan river. I don't believe  He was in danger of mis-communicating his identity to them.

Why do you think God staged the dove to descend in a visible way? (verse 22) What was the significance of the Holy Spirit descending upon Jesus at this time in his life? To show to the News that His Son was truly was the Messiah and Anointed One that had been previously prophesied about in the Torah and they didn't understand was His true reason for coming to be on the earth and living among us. They thought that He would deliver them from the Roman rule however the Lord Himself spoke to Pilate saying that, " My kingdom is not of this world. The significance of it was a sign to show the sinners that the Savior of the World had finally come and He was in no longer afraid of them as they thought but instead He longed for a relationship with every one of them personally.

How did Jesus interpret the Voice that sounded from heaven? Did Jesus become the Messiah at this point? Or become divine? Or how do you understand this decisive event? I believe that the Lord knew that His Father was blessing Him for being obeying Him and choosing to become baptized by his cousin. I believe that He was always divine however the Lord's divine nature was hidden  from public view until He went into ministry and chose to get baptized. This is I believe was the moment when He let the world know that He was not just the carpenter's son anymore but the very Son of God.

• 1 year later...

1. What do you think Jesus was saying to the Father as he was praying after his baptism? (verse 21)… He was organizing (coming to understand) the role change after completing the assigned task. The steadily reoccurring step in our believers walk. Did we hear, check. Dig we go, check, did we do, check. Further instructions please. As minister, teach, pray for, do as lead, then depart quietly this job is finished.

2. Why would Jesus be baptized along with all the sin-laden people at the river that day? Wasn't he in danger of mis-communicating to them who he was? Jesus life on earth was designed from the beginning to be the light of men. “ Jer 1:5  Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations. ”His dna and God given giftings were an exact fit for his earthly purpose in God’s plan. That is also true of us if we truely seek to walk out our exact placing in God’s plan in our time on earth. The prophecies of the messiah (anointed one) the son of man as well. This is a statement in action that he is a natural man as we are are. Washing before anointing. Be clean to enter in. Repeats again and again.

3. And 4.  Why do you think God staged the dove to descend in a visible way? (verse 22) There were always those of the jewish faith that had an elevated relationship, closeness, anointing with their God. Prophets in particular. An open showing of the spiritual power arriving denoted a tremendously more significant anointing and relationship with God by the Holy Spirit. Anointing after cleansing.

4. What was the significance of the Holy Spirit descending upon Jesus at this time in his life?

5. How did Jesus interpret the Voice that sounded from heaven? As any of us do when we hear from God. It flows through our being like a wave of power and light. It is an exact word.

6. Did Jesus become the Messiah at this point? Or become divine? Or how do you understand this decisive event? Jesus is the word of God. By the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. Therefore Jesus is the living word which is openly the abundance of God’s heart. The trinity is One God. Indivisible. Was, is, ever shall be. God sees the end from the beginning. Jesus is the messiah at every instant. Scripture says he renounced his heavenly honors, position, place with the Father to walk the ‘son of man’ walk, say the believers walk.. And demonstrate has power to forgive sins, heal the sick, cleans the lepers, cast out demons, raise the dead. Demonstrate the ministry we are to fulfill under his authority and guided by the holy spirit.  Messiah is a roll beyond the walk on earth. To become the redemption price for mankind's sins and iniquity no sin could be found in his earthly life. He became fully the messiah when he took seat at the right hand of the Father. Where he now flows as Messiah, fully completed in earthly mission, death, hell, and grave events. And is rise taking back the authority over this world lost by Adam holding the keys of hell, death, and grave. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 8/18/2020 at 9:06 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Please share your thoughts on one or more of the questions in this lesson. 

1. What do you think Jesus was saying to the Father as he was praying after his baptism? (Luke 3 verse 21): I believe Jesus was praying & asking his Father to show him his glory and to testify of him amongst those being baptized - that he was indeed his son, who was sent from heaven. He also prayed for a visual confirmation from his Father. Which came in the form of Heaven opening up and God the Father sending His Holy Spirit down to earth (like a descending dove, but in a bodily form). Which landed physically and spiritually on and in Jesus. What a sight that must’ve been! I believe Jesus also prayed and asked for an audible confirmation from the Father - one that could not be denied but heard audibly by everyone as the voice of God! Therefore, even unbelievers in attendance could not dispute nor deny or even explain away, the ordination & confirmation and the anointing service that took place at the Jordan river. In summary, what took place after Jesus prayed - was God’s response or answer to Jesus prayer. 
  2. Why would Jesus be baptized along with all the sin-laden people at the river that day? Wasn't he in danger of mis-communicating to them who he was? I believe Jesus was baptized with all the sin-laden people because of Philippians 2:6-8 6)Who existing in the form of God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, 7) But emptied Himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in human likeness. 😎 And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to death—even death on a cross. His actions was one of humility and it was to show that he was human & divine. It was to fulfill scripture and to address the sin nature (though he was sinless) that was within his human/physical body. 
  3. Why do you think God staged the dove to descend in a visible way? (verse 22) I believe it was an answer to Jesus prayer and to show everyone there without a shadow of a doubt that Jesus was God’s beloved Son the Messiah. 
  4. What was the significance of the Holy Spirit descending upon Jesus at this time in his life? I believe the descending of the Holy Spirit at this time in his life was the divine timing for Jesus to start his earthly ministry. Just like in Acts 2 on the day of Pentecost when the Holy Spirit fell on Jesus disciples it was their divine timing to start their earthly ministry. 
  5. How did Jesus interpret the Voice that sounded from heaven? Jesus knew that it was his Heavenly Father answering his prayer. He knew it was the voice of the Father because he was accustomed to hearing his voice in Heaven (prior to emptying himself and being made in human likeness). 
  6. Did Jesus become the Messiah at this point? Or become divine? Or how do you understand this decisive event? I believe his divinity and understanding matured as he matured as a human being. I believe the decisive events that transpired where like his graduation or ordination/anointing ceremony.