JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

5. Temptation

1. Is temptation only merely inevitable, or is it necessary to our growth as disciples?Temptation is a part a all believer's lives because of the enemy constantly opposition against us because of our Lord Jesus Christ. Temptation is necessary to test out faith and see if we are going to come out pure as gold as refined in the refiners fire. 
  2. What is the essence of the first temptation, to turn stones into bread? Which temptations we face are similar? Hunger. This first temptation dealt with out physical needs such as hunger. hunger. We face every possible temptation that the Israelites faced as well.
  3. What is the essence of the second temptation, to attain power and splendor? What similar temptations do we face today? It is to overthrow the kingship of the Lord Jesus Christ and he is jealous of the Lord because He knows that he never will be able to have the power to fully conquer and rule the world like the Lord will. But also that in the end every knee will now and every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. That means whether or not these people worshipped and truly believed in Him they still will have  to bow down and confess it.
  4. What is the essence of the third temptation, to throw oneself down from the temple? How do we face this temptation today? This temptation deals with seeking riches and fame with strings attached. Most people who see this now don't see how this one is being used or manifesting itself in the world now. I know that one of the main ways it can be seen is in megachurches! Where there is multiple locations; multiple pastors even campus where the sermon is heard through a tv. However the one thing I have noticed recently about that is this many people in these situations are getting into situations where their faith becomes compromised. We as believers need to be leary of anyone who speaks the Gospel and yet can't live it out.
  5. Did Jesus have any special powers at his disposal to resist temptation that Christians today don't have? What lessons about how to resist temptation does Jesus teach us disciples in this passage? No He only had the Holy Spirit at the time for the ability to keep Him strong; To pray to God when we are tempted and also to use the Word of God to defend ourselves against the enemy

• 1 year later...

1. Is temptation only merely inevitable, or is it necessary to our growth as disciples?
Temptations are like changing the lure to get a bite. The enemy is a master fisherman. Deception, its not that bad, ok it’s only a little.  Lie Lie Lie. Deception is the heart of temptation and we must come to recognize it. Quite necessary in my book.

2. What is the essence of the first temptation, to turn stones into bread? Which temptations we face are similar? Often we may need and not see the provision of God on its way or yet to arrive. We forget about the great cloud of witnesses. Trusting God while He allows our circumstance to draw the cloud of onlookers and knowing He will always be in time takes a few repetitions of victory. Then it becomes habit.

3. What is the essence of the second temptation, to attain power and splendor? What similar temptations do we face today?  Showoff your self vs do your job. Two young Marines ran across the grinder to the custom coffee cup stand. The Captain was getting incensed at their condition. I asked him to let me handle the sale, and he did so. Each wanted their name, rank on one side. Marine emblem on the other. And the words…Without me,  The Pride, Doesn’t ride.” Thanked me and double time ran back toward the motor pool to complete the needed repairs on a 5 ton truck. This on the 4th of July.
I served on 3 steam turbine powered aircraft carriers in the Gulf of Tonkin where the temperature below in the boiler operation spaces reached the 100+ range every day, day in and day out.  The should have had the motto, ‘ no steam, no dream’; for the pilots and crew could do nothing if the hot dirty work out of site deep below of making the great ships go.  That is not my role evil one, is forever the answer. 

4. What is the essence of the third temptation, to throw oneself down from the temple? 
Satan always asks you to prove because he is unable to take on that contest himself.
But we have ‘the name’ above all names of our first born brother, the Lamb of God, and permission to use it.  

5. How do we face this temptation today? With the word. “My God shall supply all my needs according to His riches in glory.”

6. Did Jesus have any special powers at his disposal to resist temptation that Christians today don't have? Perhaps we may grow closer, When I asked the Holy Spirit for the anointing Jesus had as he spoke to the Pharisees..”I only do what I see my father doing, I only say what I hear him saying.” The tests began immediately to show me what had to be conquered. Tongue in my case James 3, he had me listen clearly to what I was saying when caught in traffic jams.  Blessing and cursing from the same mouth. Should not be. Not if we expect trust of the Holy Spirit to obey God in our use of His power.

7. What lessons about how to resist temptation does Jesus teach us disciples in this passage?  Use the word, which means read, study, meditate upon it daily. The more the spirit of the word becomes ingrained within us the better we handle the sword, shield and buckler.

• 5 months later...
  1. Is temptation only merely inevitable, or is it necessary to our growth as disciples?
    Temptation is both inevitable and necessary to our growth as disciples. Temptation measures our spiritual maturity and how trusting and reliant we are on God’s word for godly living. 

2. What is the essence of the first temptation, to turn stones into bread? Which temptations we face are similar? The essence of turning stones to bread is trusting in our own means, our strength and our power and resources to satisfy our appetites and needs in life (instead of trusting, relying and waiting on God to supply our every need according to his will). Any human appetite that we crave or hunger for can be similar i.e. the hunger and thirst for love, affirmation, affection, friendship, intimacy can be sought after through ungodly or illegal or unrighteous avenues. 
  3. What is the essence of the second temptation, to attain power and splendor? What similar temptations do we face today? The essence of the temptation to attain power & splendor could lead a person to use ungodly tools to obtain power via  i.e. manipulation, stealing, killing, lying. Basically, using whatever means it takes to obtain power, position and the splendors that are attached to power. These individuals will seek promotion and elevation by any means necessary: e.g. lying, cheating, discriminating, disenfranchising voters, misrepresenting one’s credentials (resume), sleeping with someone, bribing someone, the list goes on and on. 
  4. What is the essence of the third temptation, to throw oneself down from the temple? How do we face this temptation today? We are told in Romans 12:1 ….to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. Our bodies is the temple for God’s Holy Spirit. God would not want us to do anything to the body that would cause it harm. To do so by throwing oneself down from a temple (or anything reckless, dangerous and foolish) would tempt God. Deut. 6:16 states thou shall not tempt (test) the Lord God. Also in Matt 4:7 Jesus states it is written thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
  5. Did Jesus have any special powers at his disposal to resist temptation that Christians today don't have? Jesus had the Holy Spirit and the word of God, prayer and the ability to fast (self control) to help him resist temptation. 

6. What lessons about how to resist temptation does Jesus teach us disciples in this passage? Jesus teaches us to Live our Lives by EVERY WORD of God. That requires us to study (the Word) to show ourselves approved, a workman that needed not be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. Also, we must fast, stay alert, and be prayerful so that we can discern the wiles of Satan when he comes as an Angel of Light (partially quoting scriptures, misinterpreting scriptures, questioning who we are, and trying to get us to focus on ourselves, our personal problems and our pressing needs (appetites). instead of focusing on God, His Word, His Will and the Ultimate Eternal Purpose vs the petty, carnal, temporary, compromises of sin (i.e. the **** of the eyes, **** of the flesh and the pride of life).