JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

9. Healing - Capernaum

3. Which was the more important motivator for Jesus: compassion or duty? Did they ever conflict? Jesus was truly concerned for the afflictions and needs of these people, but His highest priority was the Father’s will. Because of His compassionate heart, it was probably difficult for Him to leave without healing everyone who sought His help. He relied on the Father’s perfect directions even more than the important compassion He felt. Obviously this is a clear conflict. But it’s also a clear example of the importance of choosing what is best over what is good. The right choice will always be the Father’s will rather than self-determination.

• 2 months later...

1.      What does Jesus’ ministry of laying on of hands for healing teach us about him? It shows us that He was a personal God and healer and He wants to have a personal relationship with each person He is healing. He chose to reach out those who were outcasts and call them His own because He knew that society did not welcome them in. For with God there are no outcasts He welcomes everyone no matter what. He is no respecter of persons because He wants everyone in His kingdom. 

2.      How did Jesus treat the sick people he encountered that afternoon and evening in Capernaum? He treated each family with compassion and love and grace and He did not turn them away at all knowing that it was the Father's will for Him to give them the spiritual food that they needed. 

What kind of example does that set for us to followA leadership example that is the high priest example of perfection where we have no excuse to say we can't do it or we are unable to do it. 

3.      Which was the more important motivator for Jesus: compassion of duty? I believe it was always compassion because even when He fed the crowds He was moved with compassion as well. 

4.      Why is it so hard to maintain a Quiet time? What have you found that enables you to set aside this time? For me, I have a hard time concentrating due to lack of sleep, and distractions. When these two affect me I tend to have issues focusing on the Bible. Waking up early and setting aside for God. 

Any tips to share with the rest of usMake God your #1 in your life. If He's not #1 in your life as a priority everything else will not as planned. Get your priorities in order!

• 1 year later...

1.What does Jesus' ministry of laying on of hands for healing teach us about him? That He cared about the people. That he wanted to impart blessings to them. He wanted them to know He thought of them more than just a number but a person in need of healing.

2. How did Jesus treat the sick people he encountered that afternoon and evening in Capernaum? What kind of example does that set for us to follow? He touched each one personally and spoke words over them. We are to do the same with people we know. We are to take the time to get to know them and touch them personally. We are to go one on one with people in order to bring them to Him.

3. Which was the more important motivator for Jesus: compassion or duty? Did they ever conflict?

They both were important to Him. He knew that in order to bring people to the kingdom He had to take care of their illnesses and infirmities. He had to show compassion for them. Then when they were fed and healed, he could preach to them, and they would willingly listen to Him. The two-go hand in hand. You must take care of people's needs before you can give them the word of God.

4. Why is it so hard to maintain a Quiet Time? What have you found that enables you to set aside this time? Any tips to share with the rest of us? It is hard because distractions can occur. Like kids or spouses interrupting. Or phone calls or someone coming over or household chores to do. I sometimes have trouble staying awake to spend time with God. I usually have to get up early and sit in the kitchen and read my Bible. I do scripture writing from an online site. I also read devotionals and spend time praying about things and people I know. It helps to have a journal or notebook to write down your thoughts or prayer requests.

• 4 months later...

What does Jesus' ministry of laying on of hands for healing teach us about him? He cared at an individual level. 

How did Jesus treat the sick people he encountered that afternoon and evening in Capernaum? What kind of example does that set for us to follow? I see the true meaning of ‘the kingdom of heaven is at hand’ in this. God delivering the confort, healing, and well-being to the poor, downtroden average people. Not a select upper crust group.  

Which was the more important motivator for Jesus: compassion or duty? Did they ever conflict? The example of both while carrying out his assigned ministry. Personal wishes are ruled by our values, compassion, and desires. I remember well the counseling that you pray the amount of anointing the Holy Spirit desires to impart, not the whole truck load that may be available. As I grow in understanding and acceptance that Father has the divine plan fully worked out, and it is our job as good stewards to be obedient, not willful.  Extreme case, Jesus on the Mount of Olives, Luk 22:42  Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.   So too should we walk through our days in obedience to the Fathers wishes and goals. For in God’s plan enough here go to the next is the best for all, not our desire to complete what we desire in the natural.

Why is it so hard to maintain a Quiet Time? What have you found that enables you to set aside this time? Any tips to share with the rest of us?  The enemy is quite adept at distraction. His orchestration of the world about us is quite good at showing hurry hurry emergency signals to us. In directions far from God’s will for us. Time wasters. Also the self life of setting our own agenda is difficult to break. Once ingrained in our schedule, the distractions try, but habit, practice and understanding the necessity of Quiet Time to our very stability is paramount gives far more success. I have not found the struggle to stop for long.