JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

1. Who in our society are treated like lepers were treated in Jesus' day? Who sometimes feels like a leper in the presence of Jesus? The homeless and the people in poverty are often ignored and overlooked. People think they should be hidden from sight instead of helping them. I think the people who have sinned the worst sometimes feel like that. The thieves and murderers and prostitutes don't feel they should be in His presence. While the more religious think they do not need Him.

2.Describe the kind of faith it takes to act and speak as this leper did. What level of belief was required of him? It took boldness to cry out to Him and come near Him. It took grest courage to come out of hiding in front of all the people. Especially knowing that he might be beaten for it.

3. What is the difference between believing God can do something for us and believing that he wants to do something for us? Would you call the difference faith? or knowledge? or both? I would call it faith. Faith to believe that not only can Jesus do something but that He is willing to help us. Knowledge is knowing that God can do something but not stepping out and asking Him to do it. Where faith says I know He can and that He will do it for me.

4."I will. Be clean!" is pretty strong. Can you think of any place where Jesus indicates that he isn't willing to heal those who are sick? Yes, in Mark 7:26-29 Jesus refuses to heal a Greek woman's daughter at first. Saying that the children should be fed first and then the woman says that even dogs eat the crumbs under the table that fall. Then he says because of what she said that her daughter is healed. He wants to see if she has enough faith to believe.

5. A few weeks ago we studied Luke 4:42 about Jesus going to a solitary place. Since then, have you made progress toward establishing a Quiet Time of your own? If not, what steps are you making to establish this Jesus-trait in your life? I have a quiet time in the morning in my kitchen. I have my Bible, my journal and devotionals that I read.

• 4 months later...

1. Who in our society are treated like lepers were treated in Jesus' day? Who sometimes feels like a leper in the presence of Jesus?  Spent teen years in Holy Toledo. Seven distinct neighborhoods by race, wealth, or cultural heritage. You did not cross boundaries at night.  There were every sort of prejudice imaginable. My answer is the lepers are those your ‘caste’ real or imagined sees as untouchable.  With biblical abominations defining certain behaviors reaching out to them in this day is required in love. That takes special guidance and holy spirit wisdom. Like the woman at the well, telling all done wrong yet generating no rejection of the person, and more so the run into town to announce this” Joh 4:28  The woman then left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and saith to the men,

Joh 4:29  Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?

Joh 4:30  Then they went out of the city, and came unto him.”

We are to free the captives. Bring sight to the blind. Do our best to rescue those that oppose themselves. Yet do do in such a manner to cause hope in Christ to arise not driven off by another condemnation.

2. Describe the kind of faith it takes to act and speak as this leper did. What level of belief was required of him? The Holy Spirit must be dealing with such as he. Bringing not just thoughts but confident driving trust that one of God’s promises is mine if I obey God. For faith is not having read that God said but knowing with assurance that the scripture beginning to burn in your sole is truly a promise from God and he pays no favorites game.

3. What is the difference between believing God can do something for us and believing that he wants to do something for us? Would you call the difference faith? or knowledge? or both?

4. "I will. Be clean!" is pretty strong. Can you think of any place where Jesus indicates that he isn't willing to heal those who are sick? No. But willing yet unable because of unbelief. Mar 6:1  And he went out from thence, and came into his own country; and his disciples follow him.

Mar 6:2  And when the sabbath day was come, he began to teach in the synagogue: and many hearing him were astonished, saying, From whence hath this man these things? and what wisdom is this which is given unto him, that even such mighty works are wrought by his hands?

Mar 6:3  Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him.

Mar 6:4  But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, but in his own country, and among his own kin, and in his own house.

Mar 6:5  And he could there do no mighty work, save that he laid his hands upon a few sick folk, and healed them.

Mar 6:6  And he marvelled because of their unbelief. And he went round about the villages, teaching.

5. A few weeks ago we studied Luke 4:42 about Jesus going to a solitary place. Since then have you made progress toward establishing a Quiet Time of your own? If not, what steps are you making to establish this Jesus-trait in your life?  Reordering my day to develop a specific time for prayer and meditative study. Usually early AM. Late night sudden wide awake I get up and pray.