JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

72. Forgiveness

1. Why do you think Jesus warns his disciples so strongly about not being a cause of temptation to others? Causing and/or contributing to anothers sin makes us a part and portion of their failing.   Why does Jesus use a millstone to make his point? Emphasis upon the severity of being a cause of failure as opposed to leading along the narrow path of righteousness.  Are we not to be spirit lead, saying what Jesus would say and doing what jesus would do? (17:1-2)
  1. Who are the "little ones" that Jesus seeks to protect from sin? (17:2b) Jesus picked the ‘nobdy as his diciples, not the learned. Those of low or no account including especially those who would become apostles.
  2. Why are we tempted to keep silent in the face of the sins of our Christian brothers and sisters against us? Mostly we will not wait upon the Holy Spirit to guide us what to say and not say. Why do we disrupt God's redemptive process when we fail to rebuke them when they sin against us? I see a take great care point here. My self should be upon the cross each day, anything done to orctoward mecis done to the one who sent me. I must act in an emmisaries role. The point being, we are trying to correct a trait, habit, or sign of a deep problem. Pray for them deeply, forgive the act, minister as guided. Once you have discerned the real issue to be healed within. “Fix this….” Is an impossibility until the proper understanding of the heart damage can be viewed. Then dealt with. We are to  befriend.
  3. Extra Credit. Why is it important for every Christian to be regular part of a congregation? How else will we have the abrasive encounters which as fine sand paper begin fitting us all into ‘rightly fit in our role in the  body’ If churches are filled with such sinners, why bother? As Billy Graham’s wife wrote, “every person sitting in a pew has a battle you know nothing of.”  We best not be surface christians as disciples. We best pray until we have been given a key to their heart damage to help heal them.
  4. What kind of repentance is necessary for us to forgive our brother or sister? They are free immediately with me, their sin is to the one who sent me. Their sin immediatly starts blocking their prayers. They are in dire straights. We best be exactly lead.  What are the things we're looking for in their repentance? Repentance is change direction 180 degrees. It is more fruitvof time, councel and effort than onecorrection.nWhy is it so difficult for us to confess to our brother or sister that we have sinned against them? Ego.
  5. What does it mean to forgive a Christian brother or sister who has repented of a sin against you? We are to hold no anemosity toward them. As in act onward as though it never happened. Is it possible to maintain a meaningful relationship with a person who is unwilling to repent of sin? How long is seventy times seven? . Why or why not? Are we always not in the return the wayward sheep work. Is this not the of one hundred that is missing from the fold?
  6. Isn't there a danger in forgiving a person who isn't "truly" repentant? Retibution belongs to God alone.  How repentant is repentant enough for us? How many times does the soft answer take to thay the hardened sinner.  Enough for God? Be kind, and let the glowing coals of truly in love left with them do itsxperfect work.
  7. Why does Jesus add the "7 times" and the "7 times 70" part of his teaching? Nevercrun out of patence with the 1 constantly lost or willful sheep. The great cloud of wittnesses is learning from his/her lessons done in love. What is his intent? That our dealing with the problem person not drive away others who need ministry through their maturing time as well.
  8. Why do the disciples balk at this by asking for more faith? They have yet to receive the teaching to put self on the cross daily. Theyvhavent had the Acts 2 and Acts 2:31 events in theirvlife. What does Jesus' answer about the mustard seed and the mulberry tree mean? Itvtakes timecto have resilient mature vrowth. What is his point? Give your efforts with them time. It is a small seed you plant, water it it prayer, do not uproot it.