JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Power

I find Pastor Ralph's observation that they were "just' praying in the upper room, as if that was insufficient, until the power of the Spirit came upon them. How often I've prayed without power!  Probably most of my prayers are insipid and powerless, I confess.

But what KIND of power did they get? I'm not sure, but whatever it was, it had a witnessing effect. Before, they prayed: after the Spirit came, they proclaimed, witnessed ... were martyred.

The identity of martyrdom and witnessing frightens me. Spreading the gospel should be costly, not easy. It could cost my life.

When the Spirit came upon them, they scattered. The usual explanation is that the diaspora was a consequence of persecution, but maybe they were just obeying the Spirit who told them to leave, run, move-house, and go to new places. Why? To witness. To die there.  

But the blueprint is this -- once the Spirit comes upon a new Christian, he/she will feel compelled to witness AND witness to groups of people who had never heard the gospel message. 

Do I fit in this? Yes. I am waiting for His commission or sending, eager to do whatever He wants me to do abroad or at home. I simply wish He'd speak in a clear though whispery voice, "GO TO INDIA (or wherever) and TELL PEOPLE ABOUT ME AS YOU ...."  The people in the upper room were clearly empowered and sent. I pray for such clarity in my own life. 

• 1 month later...
  • The Holy Spirit gives us power to witness, that is the power to testify to the Lordship of Christ, the power to convince people of their sinfulness and a need to live a more purposeful and worthwhile life, and the power to effect a change in our hearers. 
  • The verse summarizes what will happen in the Acts. The effective workings of the Holy Spirits through the Apostles and subsequent believers resulting in the Gospel spreading to "the end of the earth"
  • Believers of today must continue to witness and spread the Gospel wherever we find ourselves by what we say and do.

• 3 weeks later...

You will receive the power to witness Jesus, for the people who believe and of the world. God's power and only God's power enables us to exhibit love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, kindness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control, which reveal the character of Christ in us.

• 1 month later...

Q2. (Acts 1:8) What kinds of power does Jesus offer us in the Holy Spirit? In what ways does Acts 1:8 function as an outline or blueprint of the Book of Acts? Where do you and I fit in to fulfilling Acts 1:8?

1. Jesus offres us the power to be witnesses wherever we are. I think this the opportunity to make disciples.

2. Acts 1.8 functions as an outline or blueprint because it describes how the gospel of God would be extended to the rest of the world.

3. Every believer who is born again by the word of God and the Holy Spirit, receives the power of the Holy Spirit to be witness.