JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q43. Pruning

• 5 months later...

Q43. (John 15:1-3)

How does skillful pruning increase the fruitfulness of a grapevine?

By pruning off the pieces of the vine that have withered or died, it allows the vine to put all of its energy into the good branches. By pruning out the overgrowth it keeps the fruit from being shaded too much or too crowded which would produce less than desirable fruit.  Pruning is a necessary and tedious job.  

How are we pruned or cleansed by exposure and obedience to Jesus' words?

The closer I get to Jesus and the more I read His Word, the more I am aware of sin around me.  There are so many things I used to see as benign that I have now removed from my life because I recognize them as thorns and weeds in my life.  We are told to be careful what we listen to, what we allow our eyes to see, what we expose ourselves to.  I only listen to Christian music, we have removed any access to live TV from our house, I only read God's Word and studies based on His Word.  These are things I have implemented into my life because I feel it's what God has asked me to do.  At first, these things were a sacrifice for me.  I loved my HGTV, and I loved my country music.  But now, when I do see a modern TV show or hear a modern country song, I am shocked at what I see and hear.  What seemed benign to me is not benign at all.  What we expose ourselves to shapes us.  I have chosen to expose myself to God and His Word and I have seen it shape my life in a way He wasn't able to shape me before.  He had to prune the world out of my life so He could flow through me without resistance.

According to John 8:31-32, how does obeying Jesus' teaching bring cleansing and freedom from sin?

We are His true disciples when we abide in His Word.  God's love language is obedience.  When we abide in His Word and obey what it says, we are proclaiming our love for Him... our allegiance to Him... we show ourselves to be His disciples when we follow Him in submissive obedience.  We are washed by His Word... His Word cleanses our hearts and makes them new.  His Word transforms us from the inside out.  When we follow Jesus' teachings, we find freedom from our sin and eternal life through His perfect Life which He allowed to be a sacrificial offering for us.

How does skilful pruning increase the fruitfulness of a grapevine? How are we pruned or cleansed by exposure and obedience to Jesus' words? According to John 8:31-32, how does obeying Jesus' teaching bring cleansing and freedom from sin?

Only fruitful branches are pruned. Diseased, damaged, or unfruitful branches are removed. Pruning stimulates growth, allowing the vinedresser to shape the vine for maximum use of light, and to produce the best quantity and quality grapes. We are pruned or cleansed by the Word of God. Pruning can sometimes take place by disciplining us; resulting in spiritual growth as our character and faith are strengthened. Cleansing gets rid of the worldly things that cling to us. We are no longer ruled by sin; or bound by the values of the world; and are being changed into the image of Christ. By obeying the teachings of Jesus, we work in the light, and are led by the Holy Spirit. As we get to know the truth, we are cleansed from the bondage of ignorance, sin, law, and superstition.

Q43. Parable of the Vine and the Branches (John 15:1-3)

ANSWER: The key to effective Christian living, and powerful, fruit-producing lives is not how much of the Bible you know, or how long you pray, or what church you go to. The key to being used greatly by God is abiding in Christ. Just like trees need pruning from time to time to remove dead branches or areas where there is overgrowth or no growth, you and I need to be pruned or reshaped at different times in different areas of our lives. God wants us to be so rooted and grounded in His love that nothing can shake us so we’re able to bear good fruit in even the hardest, most difficult seasons of life.

God prunes His children so that: we will bear more fruit, we will become more dependent, in order to assure us that we are truly saved, so that He is free to answer more of our prayers, and so that we will glorify Him. Pruning is vitally important for us to grow in our walk with God. Even though it’s uncomfortable, the best thing you can do is let God prune you.

How are we pruned or cleansed by exposure and obedience to Jesus’ words? ANSWER: The effect of obedience and "holding to" Jesus' teaching is freedom from the slavery to sin, and separation from evil  (John 8:31-34). God's Word, when received, has a washing, cleansing, pruning, and faith-producing effect on us. When we abide in Christ (walk in obedience), He bears fruit in our lives. This glorifies Him and blesses us and those around us. 

According to John 8:31-32, how does obeying Jesus’ teaching bring cleansing and freedom from sin?

ANSWER: To find freedom we must abide in Jesus' Word. Jesus is the Truth. Knowing the Truth will set one at liberty - free from sin, free from condemnation, and free from death. Jesus came to proclaim liberty to the captives. When God’s Words takes root in our heart it cleanse us. As we delight in His Word and meditate on His truth, God’s Word cleanses us. God’s Word helps us understand our true thoughts and attitudes. God’s Word reflects our obedience or disobedience. Finally, God’s Word sets us free.

The skillful person only prunes the branches that will yield fruit and cut only the dead branches. As children of God, we also need that so that we can proclaim the word of God to all the nations. It is only through the Word of God that we allow it to teach, rebuke, correct and train us for righteousness. God says He chose us and we did not  choose Him, ordained us so that we may go and bring forth fruit.

We are not to be confused as children of God but must have an ear of hearing the Word of God as He speaks to us. We must have a revelation of the Word of God as we obediently walk with Him and do as He instructs through His Word and fellowshipping with other brethrens. As we abide in Christ, we will bear much fruit because without Him, there is nothing that we can do.

Obeying Jesus according to John 8: 31-32 states that we need first to believe in Jesus and be prepared to read the Word of God daily because growth comes when you understand the Word of God and practice it. We get cleansing when we confess our sins and repent sincerely. When we have done this we will know the truth and it will make us free. Freedom from all the false prophets and idolatry and serve the Living God only.

When I was done reading this section I couldn't figure out what pruning had to do with abiding in Christ. i think of abiding in a more passive sense, as sticking close to or being very near someone or some place. But here, we're talking about pruning! That's cutting off, not digging closer! I hope the next sections clarify this for me ... sorta dumb, here!

How does skillful pruning increase the fruitfulness of a grapevine?  Pruning always seems to help the plant ... in the LONG TERM. I've pruned overgrown roses which then looked horrible for a year or two, but became beautifully full and tall. When pruning roses, like grapes, the plant is reduced to it's strongest vines or canes. Instead of dozens of canes, there will be two or three big ones stretching upward. These ones are strong because they're not sharing their space or the plant's energy with lesser canes.

How are we pruned or cleansed by exposure and obedience to Jesus' words? The few canes that remain after pruning become very fruitful or covered with roses. Perhaps the analogy is this -- that as Christians, we shouldn't spin off into many directions, dissipating our energy, but only put our effort into the two or three things God is calling us to do. OUr pruning may not be just of sinful and diseased parts, but of distracting and superfluous aspects of our personality.

One way Jesus prunes us is by putting us in isolation or solitude. Alone, by our river Cherith (Elijah reference) we have nothing to do but watch the river flow past. In that solitude, we grow, however. Our ONE cane that's left, watching the river, is the only one that can grow. So, pruning in the Christian life may refer to those times of emotional and social drought when God removes all distractions and, frankly, joys, and leaves us alone, quiet and pondering, staring as life seemingly passes by.

According to John 8:31-32, how does obeying Jesus' teaching bring cleansing and freedom from sin? Holding onto his words sets us free -- that's the verse. Somehow, we're not supposed to know the words, but cling to them. Holding on implies effort and tenacity. We tell people to "hang on" when they're going through rough times. Here, Jesus is telling us to Hang On to His words, so we can be cleansed and freed from sin. So His actual words have the power to free us.

A43.

Skillful pruning of grapevine for more fruitfulness is achieved by the elimination of dead or diseased branches. This action leads to the development of new shoots coming up and producing new branches and this results into much more fruits.

As we hear the word of Jesus and obey by the help of the Holy Spirit, we would live lives that are fruitful. This would be evidenced by our good deeds and good relationships that attract others to Jesus.

Skillful pruning takes away the dead branches so that they won't be using up the nutrients that the good branches need to bear fruit. 

When are are exposed to the words of Christ, receiving them and being obedient to His words; the word cleanses us from the impurities of sin making us clean.

Jesus tells us that if we hold to, or keep His teachings, then are we truly His disciples. Then shall we know the truth, and the truth will set us free. When we are truly obedient to the teachings, the words of Christ, then that word, or teaching is able to cleanse us and set us free from sin. 

Q43. (John 15:1-3) How does skillful pruning increase the fruitfulness of a grapevine? How are we pruned or cleansed by exposure and obedience to Jesus' words? According to John 8:31-32, how does obeying Jesus' teaching bring cleansing and freedom from sin?

1. It is increased by the dead branches being taken away such as being cut to allow stoppage of dead or diseased branches because it can hinder the good branches.

2. Receiving the word of God will wash, clean, and prune us. When we obey God, it strengthens the fruit in our lives. 

3. We are to keep his word within us and not let go (obey). That will bring us cleansing and freedom from sin. 

Q43. (John 15:1-3) How does skillful pruning increase the fruitfulness of a grapevine? How are we pruned or cleansed by exposure and obedience to Jesus' words? According to John 8:31-32, how does obeying Jesus' teaching bring cleansing and freedom from sin? 

Skillful pruning enables the grapevine to put energy into new growth.  Jesus' words prune us and cleanse us as we follow them and develop new habits to walk in.  In John 8:31-32, Jesus tells us that if we hold to His teaching we are His disciples, THEN we will know the TRUTH and the TRUTH will set us free.  Jesus is the TRUTH and the Holy Spirit works life in us. 

It is a skill and not done in a haphazard manner. It’s done in a manner to instill good health to the grapevine and the maximum yield of healthy grapes.

The actions/habits in our lives that don’t produce fruit are pruned by the Lord. We learn about what these actions and habits are by praying and reading God’s word. God brings conviction to us about things in our life that don’t line up with His word and will.

Jesus says, “If you love me you will obey my commandments.” John 14:15 Obeying Jesus, (confession of sins)gives us all we need to be free of sin, forgiven of sin and cleansed from sin. 1John 1:9                              
Trust and obey.

Q43. Skilful pruning helps the fruitfulness of the vine by preventing it from becoming too overgrown and allowing the sunlight to get through. It prevents disease developing in the vine. It produces better quality grapes.  It cuts away all broken and diseased branches so that nutrients are channeled into the right areas of the vines. 
When we study His word and follow the Lord closely we are shown how to live as Jesus wants us to and as we gradually do this, we are being cleansed and more like Jesus. 
If we hold to His teachings, we will know the truth and the truth will set us free. That means we will learn about our sins and repent and know that Jesus died on the cross for us. His forgiveness of our sins will set us free. Set us free from being enslaved  to sin.

How are we pruned or cleansed by exposure and obedience to Jesus' words?

According to John 8:31-32, how does obeying Jesus' teaching bring cleansing and freedom from sin?

The energy of the plant is not wasted on unfruitful or diseased branches if these are cut off  before the new season of growth starts.  It is focused on the fruitful ones, which have also undergone pruning.  The reason for the pruning is that the vine does not grow wild and that there is enough sunlight for the plant.  The harvesting of the grapes is also easier if it is not so clumped up together.  So the purposes of the pruning is to stimulate growth, to shape the vine,  protect against mildew (there is enough light on every area), and to produce maximum yield without breaking the branches, with too many clusters.  

If we read and hearken to the Word, that too will stimulate growth eg., we read in the Word to do all things without grumbling or complaining.  If we act on this we change in ourselves and produce the fruit of joy.  By so doing our lives are shaped into being more Christlike.  Just so with other character traits.  The old is pruned or cut off and new  is produced.  If we read the Word and act on it, we stay in the Light.  If we then do sin, the Light will reveal this and then we learn from the Word that we are to confess our sins and He is faithful and just to forgive us our sin and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.  Thus the mildew (sin) is cut out of our life and not allowed to spread more.

By abiding in His Word, we learn and know the Truth.  The Truth will set us free.  There is no double dealing, no hiding, no two-facedness, no hypocrisy.  To abide in His Word, we obey His Word.  Obeying His Word brings freedom from sin, as illustrated above with the example of the grumbling and complaining being exposed and then changing and bringing the fruit of Joy instead.  By obeying His Word we repent and confess our sin, so we are cleansed (1 Corinthians 6:11) by the "washing of the Word".

The fruitfulness comes from the canes, shoots, or spurs that grow from these woody cordons. Pruning takes experience and skill  how to removing unfruitful branches, and pruning the fruitful ones.

How are we pruned or cleansed by exposure and obedience to Jesus' word?

He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes (katharizō) so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean (katharizō) because of the word I have spoken to you.

According to John 8:31-32, how does obeying Jesus' teaching bring cleansing and freedom from sin?

The effect of obedience and "holding to" or abiding in Jesus' teaching is freedom from slavery to sin and separation from evil. 

God's Word, when received, has a washing, cleansing, pruning, faith-producing effect on us.

Q43. (John 15:1-3) How does skillful pruning increase the fruitfulness of a grapevine? It concentrates the energy of the root and vine to the new yield.

How are we pruned or cleansed by exposure and obedience to Jesus' words? That which is unfruitful can be cut free.

According to John 8:31-32, how does obeying Jesus' teaching bring cleansing and freedom from sin? To obey is as worship. It is as the bride adjusting the value system of her husbands culture and family. Becoming one. Holding each other in covenent relationship. Jesus is ‘The Word’ in person. The word, received,  makes us clean.

• 2 weeks later...

Q.43 (John 15:1-3) The only person who is skillful to help us increase in fruitfulness is Jesus. Jesus is the True Vine, we are the branches and the Father is the gardener, the one who tenderly cares for the vine, cutting and pruning us so that we may produce the maximum amount of fruits possible. The Father will cut off the branch that will not produce fruit. It is like when you go get a hair cut, a women ends will be cut so that new growth will bring new growth.

the effect of obedience and holding to or abiding in Jesus' teaching is freedom from slavery to sin and separation from evil.

According to (John 8:31-32) "If you abide (meno) in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 11:47 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q43. (John 15:1-3) How does skillful pruning increase the fruitfulness of a grapevine? How are we pruned or cleansed by exposure and obedience to Jesus' words? According to John 8:31-32, how does obeying Jesus' teaching bring cleansing and freedom from sin?

I did have roses and had to prune them to stay healthy.  I would first cut off the dead branches, so the life of the vine would go into the other ones.  Then I would look at the branches that would be producing new nodes and cut above the node so they would produce new flowers and healthy ones.  

We are pruned and cleansed by the Word of God.  It keeps us from sin and sinning and keeps our mind on God and the things of God.  I find that staying away from God's Word puts you into the carnal realm and being pulled into the things of this world.  

As we get into the Word, the Lord can speak to us, we can acknowledge our sin and repent bringing cleansing and freedom from sin.

• 3 weeks later...

The skillful pruning increases the fruitfulness of the grapevine by cutting off that branches that are not producing. This makes it so that those that are producing will produce more. We are pruned when we suffer. This makes us more sensitive to what the Lord wants to do. John 8:31-32 tells us if we know the truth it will set us free.