JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q47. Unjust Steward

Q47. (Luke 16:1-13) In what way is the dishonest steward supposed to be a positive example to disciples? How does one “lay up treasures in heaven”? Why is the quality of our work of very small things so important to God? What is he waiting to see in us? What happens to people in the church who are promoted beyond their spiritual growth?

• 5 months later...

Q47. Parable of the Unjust Steward (Luke 6:1-13)

In what way is the dishonest steward supposed to be a positive example to disciples?

ANSWER: The Parable of the Unjust (dishonest) Steward is a positive examples to disciples because it teaches us to work hard, to take seriously that we will give an account, to prepare for the future; to value the narrow window of time to use  our Master’s resources, and to use money to make eternal friends. At the end of the parable of the unjust steward, Jesus said, “I tell you, make friends for yourselves by means of unrighteous wealth, so that when it fails they may receive you into the eternal dwellings” (Luke 16:9). “Unrighteous wealth” refers to earthly wealth. It’s called unrighteous not because it’s evil, but because it belongs to the world. Fear the Lord and serve Him in sincerity and in faithfulness. Put away serving money and serve the Lord. In other words, we should use our earthly wealth to help spread the gospel so others can become Christians.

How does one “lay up treasures in heaven”?

ANSWER: It means believing God's promises and identifying with God's people despite the sure affliction that will follow. Why this is a good idea to store up “treasures in heaven” … First of all, it’s a matter of obedience. Second, treasures in heaven are clearly treasures that last. Third, the right kind of treasure-seeking moves us in the direction of material modesty and single-minded fidelity to the Lord. It also includes living for God's glory and the good of others.

We must understand that storing up “treasures in heaven” does include giving to your local church, nonprofits, and those in need. There's more to laying up “treasures in heaven” than giving away our money and possessions.

Why is the quality of our work of very small things so important to God? ANSWER: The small things in life matter more than we realize. Little things are important, not because of what they are in themselves, but because they can be part of something greater. God accomplishes His work through the small things. He perfects our inabilities, our brokenness, and our lack of enough to make a difference. He pours His power into our littlest and our least and our inadequacies and failures. God definitely delights in the small things; for it is there that His glory shines brightest.

Christians who desire to live every moment for God's glory cannot overlook the importance of the little, seemingly mundane experiences and activities of life. These form the building blocks of character and faithfulness.

What is He waiting to see in us?

ANSWER: There are three things God wants to see in us: justice, kindness, and humility. To act justly is to treat people fairly and respectfully. God wants us to love showing mercy to others. God requires us to walk humbly with him. And when we walk humbly with Him, the natural outgrowth is humility toward others.

What happens to people in the church who are promoted beyond their spiritual growth?

ANSWER: Promotion doesn’t come from the Church. Your promotion comes from God. If one is promoted beyond their spiritual growth, rejection sets in, bitterness takes over, offenses pile up, and soon the believer’s soul is filled with pain, anger, and even hopelessness. Your promotion is not in other people’s hands. The truth is that the Church is not responsible for your destiny or for your promotion. God, and God alone, humbles one person and raises up another. God alone is responsible for lifting you into the place He has ordained for you. God alone is responsible for promoting you into your destiny, and God alone knows the time and place that He has ordained for your promotion to occur.

A47.

I still struggle with the fact that Jesus described the dishonest steward as shrewd despite Pastor Ralph’s wonderful explanation.

I believe that as disciples, we should be transparent, honest and be accountable for whatever we are entrusted with knowing that we will render account of our stewardship to the Lord God one day.  

Seculars (non-Christians) don't have a heavenly Father on which to lean, so they make their way through the world with their elbows. The best of them justify their behavior toward others by saying things like, "It's a zero-sum universe and I'm just getting my share for my family ..." I'm far too familiar with this world, unfortunately. But now that I'm in the Christian realm, I'm rather shocked at the way Christians are taught to lean on God rather than take on the world and win. In this season of warring, it seems imperative that Christians figure out how the "enemy" thinks and OUTTHINK him. Yes, we can rely on God; Yes, there are times when we stand there covered with our spiritual armor and let God fight for us. 

BUT ... there are also times when God asks us to fight, too, that it's more of a partnership (between grossly unequal partners) that requres us to DO something. And when they reach this point, many Christians find themselves weakened by passive and pacific faith. They've been weakened NOT by God or even by their faith in His provision and care, but by avoiding the smaller battles of life.

We need to be strong. Valiant. Soldiers for Christ. There's a balance between a wily, engaged, shrewd way of approaching our secular opponents and an attitude of total dependence on God to do everything for us. Every situation is different. Sometimes we have to depend on God wholly. God's part in this historic drama is different for each of us. I don't claim to have a formula, but as an observer, I believe that the fulcrum needs to be moved, a bit, toward our wise and shrewd engagement with the world.

in this way, then, we're to be like the dishonest steward -- never dishonest, but wily, aggressive, plotting and shrewd

--

The only treasures that matter are those of which God approves; those that take labour, prayer, tears, sweat and suffering to achieve. Most of these treasures are not earthly, but have to do with character.

--

God tests us with the wee things before he moves us to the next level. He seems to push us to the point of incompetence or failure, and then pull back as we muse and grow past our mistakes. I think this is called the Peter Principle in the corporate world -- this is the theory that people get promoted to the point where they're ineffective and "over their head." The difference between God's testing in wee things and the Peter Principle is that the Peter Principle was deterministic, assuming people would reach an ability peak and NEVER be able to grow beyond it. With God, in contrast, all things are possible. We grow until we die. There's no ceiling with God.

God is waiting to see growth in us before He tests us again in a new, more challenging environment.

--

People who are promoted on the basis of natural qualities/connections/luck and not spiritual growth will find themselves trapped in the Peter Principle. They'll rise to the point where they are marginally incompetent/competent and then tend to hire less capable people because they're threatened by quality and character. The organization for which they work eventually stymies and declines. Organizations with incompetent leadership quickly develop rules and regulations because the people at the top can't neither be trusted nor will grow -- Max Weber called this "bureaucratization." 

This is what's happened to our government. Layers of rules and regulations now substitute for quality and character. It's tragic, and, in my wee opinion, will require a disaster or revolution to correct.

The Parable of the Unjust steward teaches disciples to be honest when mandated to carry out tasks which God has mandated them to do irrespective of how small or big the assignment that God has given us. Disciples are to conduct themselves with integrity and have moral principles in upholding good values and sticking to the Word of God and not trick people by doing something contrary to the Will of God.

Laying up treasures in heaven means you take care of the poor and not expect them to reciprocate in any manner. The Word of God says whenwe take care of the poor, we are lending to God. It is therefore important to know that God has blessed us in order to be a blessing to other. We are not supposed to hoard things while a number of people go hungry.

God sees our hearts and when we do small things and not tell the whole world what you have done, pleases God. There are people who always blow their trumpets when they have assisted poor people and want the public to know what they have done. When God entrusts us in taking care of the needy, He will surely enlarge our territory.

God is waiting to see our obedience and how trustworthy are we in carrying out small assignments. You do not have to wait to be too wealthy and start giving alms but with the little that God has given you, you must share with others. The English saying says from humble beginnings come great things.

People that have been promoted beyond their spiritual growth are a danger to themselves and to those they serve. Spiritual growth needs maturity in order to discern what is right and what is wrong. These are people who will act like the steward and ask debtors to be dishonest in their dealings. God has entrusted us to take care of His properties and resources, therefore, we need to be spiritually matured to carry out God's assignment honestly and with integrity.

He is a positive example to do good to others even though you've done wrong. 

We can lay up for ourselves treasures in heaven by doing good, and seeking heavenly things. 

God does truly look at the little things we do, for He tells us that if we will be faithful in the few things, He will make us rulers over many.

God wants to see us faithful in the small things, and humble ourselves, and do good to others and love others just as He loves us. 

If a person is promoted beyond their spiritual growth that person could stumble or fall

Q47. (Luke 16:1-13)

In what way is the dishonest steward supposed to be a positive example to disciples? How does one "lay up treasures in heaven"? Why is the quality of our work of very small things so important to God? What is He waiting to see in us? What happens to people in the church who are promoted beyond their spiritual growth?

The point Jesus is making is that we can learn a valuable lesson from this unfaithful steward, who is wiser than many “sons of light,” in that he saw what was coming, and he used what had been entrusted to him while he could to prepare for the future. Meaning that ungodly, unregenerate people show more wisdom in providing for their future in this world than true disciples show in laying up treasures in heaven. A faithful steward (disciple) must use their Master’s (God’s) money shrewdly to provide true riches for eternity. God’s ways are higher than our ways (Isa 55:9), especially when it comes to money matters. Perhaps we need to change our attitude toward money. We need to follow God’s way to true riches rather than the world’s way to deceptive wealth and ultimate, eternal poverty. To secure our eternal future we should be using our money helping others, winning souls for our Lord Jesus. Jesus tells us that we need to use our worldly possessions to “gain friends for yourselves” (16:9). Meaning that the people we have helped will be in heaven to welcome us there. They will be our heavenly reward. Everything we spend helping others is immediately banked in heaven waiting for us to arrive to collect the rewards we have earned. The steward had only temporary rewards and a temporary home, but ours is eternal. We are to be shrewd stewards of our wealth, now while here on earth, before it is taken away from us when we die. God knows that we are faithful in our stewardship of the small things here on earth, then we will be faithful in handling the important things, the spiritual treasures of heaven. God waits for us to realise that we are His stewards, and to act accordingly. Knowing that the wealth of the world is His means that there is a greater responsibility on us to manage His wealth with honesty, with truth, with wisdom, with integrity, with pure motives, with an attitude of worship to God, and with service to the body of Christ. Bringing glory to our Heavenly Father. To sum up, nothing that we possess on earth is our own, it is entrusted to us for temporary use (1 Chron 29:14), and we shall be rewarded by real and eternal possessions (1 Peter 1:4). People who are promoted beyond their spiritual growth will find it difficult to live according to the Lord’s standards. They will put their trust in wealth. Using it to justify themselves before others, even buying themselves positions of honour in the church. There is no love in their hearts, no love for others, only love for self. Their hearts are filled with pride and hypocrisy which God hates. Whereas, we as true disciples do not have to impress others with how spiritual we are – it should be visible to all. We live openly in the sight of God, seeking always to please Him. It is all about submitting ourselves to His authority and not to following a bunch of outward standards.

Q47. (Luke 6:1-13) In what way is the dishonest steward supposed to be a positive example to disciples? How does one "lay up treasures in heaven"? Why is the quality of our work of very small things so important to God? What is he waiting to see in us? What happens to people in the church who are promoted beyond their spiritual growth?

Well first of all, not because of his dishonesty, but for shrewdness in his business dealings with his master’s debtors. He was able to secure significant payment for debts owed his master as well as ingratiate himself to the same debtors for future favors for himself. Thus padding his unemployment.

I guess that there are many thing I could list to do, but if you truly love God and your neighbor, your proactive in your faith, God will produce in you good fruit that will last and will become treasures in heaven.

If we are attentive and diligent in the small things then we will be likewise in the larger things. Our track record.

That we are committed to Him, His trustworthy servant.

Some times they fail in the capacity in which they were placed. Often times a person sees something in them that’s not  fully there or they believe that God can equip and grow them into that position. And often times God does if they are fully relying on God’s strength an not their own. 

Q47. (Luke 16:1-13) In what way is the dishonest steward supposed to be a positive example to disciples? How does one “lay up treasures in heaven”? Why is the quality of our work of very small things so important to God? What is he waiting to see in us? What happens to people in the church who are promoted beyond their spiritual growth?

1. To obey your master, use what you have wisely, and believe that you will have to give account of what you accomplished.

2. Take care of the poor, do good to others, and obey God in everything necessary.

3. It is how we handle small things so that we can be trusted with much more. It lets God know that we are trust worthy and appreciate what little we have or dealing with.

4. He is waiting to see that we will obey him and are trust worthy with everything pertaining to us physical and spiritually.

5. That is a very destructive situation because they will have pride. Disrespect for themselves and others will appear along with failing.

In what way is the dishonest steward supposed to be a positive example to disciples?

The steward recognized his future and prepared for it accordingly.  Look around you.  The people who are living secular lives, depending on their wealth to get them through their future, are constantly in the books and stock market.  Constantly watching and preparing.  They are focused on their goal.  Christians?  Not so much.  We, as disciples, need to think about our future and prepare for it accordingly as well.  What are we doing with our time now?  Are we assuring we will be welcomed into eternal dwellings?  Are we preparing for eternity or living for today?  We need to be about the business of our Father in Heaven... some think, "as long as I'm saved I don't have to worry about anything or do anything... I've got my ticket, that's all that matters."  If this is your attitude towards the sacrifice Jesus made for your soul, I'd have to argue that you have never met Your Savior.   For, if you had, you would be so filled with gratitude and thankfulness that you would never ever think to refer to your salvation as your "ticket" into Heaven.  My goal is to hear, "well done, my good and faithful servant".  Not because I want or need a pat on the back for my efforts but because I love my Savior and want nothing more than for Him to be pleased with my life.

How does one “lay up treasures in heaven”?

We lay up treasures in heaven by earning jewels for our crowns.  These jewels are earned when we step aside and allow Jesus to continue His ministry through our lives doing good in the world around us.  Ironically, it's not our work, but His that earns these treasures.  For nothing good comes from us.  If any good is coming from me, it is only because I have allowed my own will to die that His Will may live through me.  As I have mentioned before, this is why we will lay these jeweled filled crowns at the feet of Jesus... because, it was His Work, not ours, that earned those jewels.  My biggest fear is to come face to face with my Savior with an empty crown in my hands showing I chose to live my life for me instead of for Him. 

Why is the quality of our work of very small things so important to God?

Because we show our faithfulness and our love through obedience and works.  They do not earn our salvation, but they prove our love for Him.  We would never entrust our future estate to someone who couldn't handle their own bills... why would God entrust the future of His Kingdom to one that cannot control their own tongue, or their own impulses? He tests our faithfulness continually.  With each test we pass, we are given more.  

What is he waiting to see in us?

Obedience, loyalty, and an understanding that it's not about this life that we are currently living in. We have been given a higher purpose.  We should live with our eternal dwelling as our constant goal and reminder of what we are living for. He is waiting to see His Fruit in our lives... He is waiting for us to lay down our wills so that His Will can be Lord over our lives... He is waiting to see us put Him and others first and ourselves last. 

What happens to people in the church who are promoted beyond their spiritual growth?

For one, they are overwhelmed and frustrated.  They are unable to keep up with the ministry they are given.  Others are disillusioned and turned off by the chaos of the ministry.  We need to be careful to never volunteer just to "fill a spot" in ministry.  As Christians, we are specifically gifted and called into certain facets of ministry.  When we step into a ministry that we are not called to serve in, at the very least we steal that position from the one who God is calling, and in the worst case, we cause that ministry to struggle or even fail because we have stepped into disobedience to do something we thought was good but was against His Will.

The dishonest steward is a positive example to disciples in his shrewdness in understanding the people of the world.  Laying up treasures in heaven involves walking with God, being obedient to Him, and letting the Holy Spirit work His character in us in the area of giving--giving time, money, and talent as He directs.  The quality of our work in even small things is so important to God because it reveals are true character; He's looking to see if we follow Him when no one is watching! (And He is SO MUCH in the details!!!  Look at the intricacy of our world!!!  Things are even smaller than we can see!!!  His plan and order are amazing!!! He KNOWS details!!)  If someone in the church is promoted beyond their spiritual growth--in any area--sin will happen.

Q47. (Luke 6:1-13) In what way is the dishonest steward supposed to be a positive example to disciples? He used the available resource to enable his unemployed future.

How does one "lay up treasures in heaven"? By giving into the needs of those less fortunate. By caring with actual performance meaningfully to their need.

Why is the quality of our work of very small things so important to God? Details of great important things are small things. Small things are never unimportant. The still small voice is the Spirit of God. The clamor is the enemy. God does not yell at His obedient children. The Holy Spirit with all His power only does what the Father wants done.

What is he waiting to see in us? Maturity. Our becoming renewed to the likeness of Christ leaving behind the traits, thoughts, actions of our old self.

What happens to people in the church who are promoted beyond their spiritual growth? They flounder. And like a vessel overwhemed in a storm they take others down with them.

In what way is the dishonest steward supposed to be a positive example to disciples?  He did not become depressed by the fact that he was being demoted, but thought beyond that, in how he would cope in the new situation.  That was when he came up with the idea he had.  The disciples are not to become dejected in their situations but are to think beyond that and find some way to cope with the less.  Not being shrewd but wise,  

How does one "lay up treasures in heaven"?  By doing deeds in the Name of the Lord, for those less fortunate than us.  Not going about blowing one's trumpet because of   it,  but seeing a need and fulfilling that need.  

Why is the quality of our work of very small things so important to God?  If we can be trusted with the small things in life, the things that are not very important, in the eyes of most people, then the possibility is great that we will  also be trusted with more important things.  God sees our actions and hidden attitudes as well.  Nothing is hidden from Him.  

What is He waiting to see in us?  Honesty and integrity.  He wants to see that we can  be trusted.  

What happens to people in the church who are promoted beyond their spiritual growth?  They stagnate and fail.  They try to live up to what is expected of them but it doesn't work.  You cannot be successful in doing the work you are not capable of doing.  It brings about disillusionment and failure.

Q47. (Luke 6:1-13)

That one day they will give an account of there management," means to give a final report of where things stand and then turn over the accounting books to the master (GOD). The same verb "account" is also used of each person having to appear before God's throne to give an account of their lives.

How does one "lay up treasures in heaven"?

When someone giving alms to the poor is rewarded by God, and is a way of laying up treasure in heaven. 

Jesus rewards those who care for "the lease of these.

"He who is kind to the poor lends to the Lord,
and he will reward him for what he has done." (Proverbs 19:17)

Why is the quality of our work of very small things so important to God?

Those who are honest in the little details of inconsequential things can be trusted to be honest with large responsibilities, then GOD knows he can trust you with really large responsibilities and considerable wealth.

What is he waiting to see in us?

That we are good stewards that can give account of our management. 

We must be stewards of God's property, managers of God's resources; our finances, our time, our talents and abilities, our position in society, all of it

A misused of power will happened. Proper spiritual leading will be a short coming. The church will be incorrect display. 

• 1 month later...

The dishonest steward is a positive example to disciples because it is teaching us that we need to be careful with what God has given us. We can “lay up treasures in heaven” by donating to the poor and taking care of those who can’t take care of themselves. If we take care of the small things in world then God can trust us with a much greater thing when we get to heaven. Usually those who are promoted beyond their spiritual growth will fail.