JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 3 months later...

I'm not sure Christ's imminent return would change the way we live. (I'd probably not bother to do laundry! ) Seriously, as I think about it, I would change nothing in my life. I'd still be praying and studying as I do and going about doing the menial things God has put before me. I strive to live a godly life now (not successfully).

It's interesting that the word "hope" is preceded by the word "blessed" in that verse because the modifying word "blessed" is not needed to make the sentence meaningful: "... To live godly lives in this present age while we wait for the blessed hope."

Paul added this word. He wanted to describe the hope as blessed, not empty, scary, undefined or meaningless ... but it's a good hope. A blessed hope. 

• 3 weeks later...

If we were convinced He would return soon, we would reorder the priorities in our lives, I would think.  Retirement and status are not so much included in our long term goals.  we would hopefully, study the Bible more and ACT on those things emulating Christ (seriously, I should be doing more of that now since the Rapture could occur any time and we can track the prophesies about His coming day by day!).

This hope is blessed because for the believers, it is a wrap up of what we have to deal with today.  It is not only a reuniting with our families but also with Jesus.  It will be a privilege to be in the audience!

Christ's return will bring all the host of heaven with Him.  He will be portraying His royalty and His true power unshackled as He was on earth.

Knowing that Christ would soon return will make us live with joyful expectation and be ready  that blessed hope.

Blessed hope is expecting something  very  special we’ve been waiting for a long time to happen.

Christ return will fulfill all His promises for eternal life to those who have been faithful waiting for Him in the way it was said He would come back in glory and power.

Jesus' imminent return should be our greatest motivator for change; living by the fruits of the Spirit, using self-control to say "No" to the enticements of this age. Grace teaches us to expect and prepare for our blessed hope.

That hope is not heaven or glory, but Jesus Himself. 

Grace teaches that the first time He came to save the soul of man. Our hope is that in His second coming is to resurrect the body.

Grace teaches that He came the first time to save the individual. Our hope is in the second coming He comes to save society.

Grace teaches us that He came the first time to a crucifixion. Our hope is in His second coming that He will come to a coronation.

Grace teaches that He came the first time to a tree. Our hope is in His second coming He will come to a throne.

Grace teaches that He came the first time in humility. Our hope is in His second coming He will come in His glory.

Grace teaches that He came the first time to be judged by men. Our hope is in His second coming He will come to judge all men.

Grace teaches that He came the first time and stood before Pilate. Our hope is in His second coming, Pilate will stand before Him.

Q1. I should be writing that I would not change anything in my life if I was convinced that Jesus was soon to return. But I know that my life is not as perfect as it should be. My priorities would be different if I lived daily in expectation of Jesus return. The daily routine of life so often distracts from these more important things to come. We have a blessed hope , which means that we are especially favoured, with an expectant hope that Jesus is coming back as He has promised to take us home to live in His presence for eternity. When Jesus was born , He came quietly and lived in humble circumstances, but His second return will be different. All nations and people will be aware of His return, no one will miss it. The last trumpet will sound and His glory will be seen by all. There will be  hosts of angels with Jesus as He appears in the clouds. No one will be in doubt about His power, majesty and strength. 

If we were convinced that Jesus would return soon for some it would probably not make a difference for they do no believe that hell is real or that Jesus would let them go to hell.  They are convinced that they can continue to live according to the ways of the world, do anything they want to do, and treated others as they please, be disobedient  to God, and disrespectful to Him and still go to heaven, because they do not believe the Word of God.  Others would probably seek forgiveness and mend their ways, while others would probably continue to live in obedience to the will and commands of God because they strive to live each day as if it is there last.  They are some among us who seek to live lives that are pleasing in the sight of God and daily pray for forgiveness even of unknown sins because they are waiting with great anticipation of the Lord's return. They not only believe and hope but live as becomes that faith and hope in this present world but also as expecting another that is better.

This hope is blessed because it is eternal glory and happiness which Christ purchased for us on Calvary and is laid up for us in heaven.  Christ is our hope and He is the hope of glory.  When we will have perfect knowledge of God and Christ, be in communion with them, and conformity with them, free from all evil  and in possession of all that is good.

Christ's return will exhibit His glory for He will come in the glory of His Deity, in His glory as a Mediator, a judge invested with power and authority from His Father, in the glory of His human nature, and in His Father's glory being attended all His mighty ones.  The Saints will be raised from the dead and with the living ones will appear with Christ in His glory and makeup the bride, the Lamb's wife having the glory of God upon her.  The glory of the great God and our Savior will break out as the sun.  He will appear as the son of man , yet He will be declared to be the Son of God.  His divinity which was veiled while He was on earth will shine out then as the sun in its strength.   Our comfort and joy are that our Savior is the great God and He will gloriously manifest Himself at His second coming.  Power, love, majesty, and mercy will all appear together in the highest luster.  It will be terror and confusion for the wicked but rejoicing for  the godly.

Q1. (Titus 2:12-13) If we were convinced that Christ would soon return, what effect would that have on the way we conduct ourselves?

ANSWER: What a way to live, every single day, waiting for the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ. Titus 2:13-14 teaches us

1. to be zealous for good works; and
  2. the connection between grace and godliness.

God has saved us through Jesus, to be a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works. Your good works gives glory to your Father in heaven. If Christ were to come back today, we pray that He would find us zealous for good works, as we’re waiting for His appearing.

Why is this hope "blessed"?

ANSWER: This hope is “blessed” because as Christians we are to be,

denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly (self-

controlled), righteously, and take God seriously (godly) in the present age,

looking for the blessed hope (living in  active expectation of the return of

Jesus) and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ.

We are to expect and prepare for our blessed hope. That hope is not heaven or glory, but Jesus Himself, face to face, closer than ever.  It important for Christians to consider:

1. He came the first time to save the soul of man; He will come a second time to resurrect the body. 
  2. He came the first time to save the individual; He will come a second time to save society.
  3. He came the first time to a crucifixion; He will come a second time to a coronation.
  4. He came the first time to a tree; He will come a second time to a throne.
  5. He came the first time in humility; He will come a second time in glory.
  6. He came the first time and was judged by men; He will come a second time to judge all men.
  7. He came the first time and stood before Pilate; He will come a second time and Pilate will stand before Him.

In summation, our hope is to be Christian believers who wants to live godly and upright lives. As Believers we are looking forward to a "blessed hope." This hope is the appearance of the glory of Christ.

In what way will Christ's return exhibit His glory?

ANSWER: Christ's coming will be seen all over the earth in glory, the last trumpet will sound, the dead in Christ will rise from their graves, Christ will judge the world, and reign forever with his saints, you and me.

Q1. (Titus 2:12-13)

If we were convinced that Christ would soon return, what effect would that have on the way we conduct ourselves?

Waiting expectantly with pure mind and separate (set apart) us only for HIS purpose.

Why is this hope "blessed"?

It is the DAY of the LORD. The hope, the expected waiting turn into the face-to-face physical presence (a glorious moment) of our LORD JESUS CHRIST.  

In what way will Christ's return exhibit his glory?

The Son of Man will appear in the sky, and all the nations of the earth will mourn. They will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of the sky, with power and great glory.

We would pursue the higher life with more zeal.  Denial of ungodliness, denial of worldly lusts.  A zeal to live a serious Christian lifestyle that is pleasing to God.  In this present world, we give testimony to our belief in our great God and our Savior Jesus Christ.   This would be crucial for the believers in Crete.   If they lived as true Bible believers, their neighbors would be attracted to Christianity.   The testimony of their lives would be clarion calls to repent and get baptized.

Truly a joyful doctrine! A blessed hope because we are the bride of Christ.  We are the holy nation and royal priesthood, a peculiar people sanctified for the Master's use.   We have been WATCHFULL in our walk with the Lord; we have put on Christ at our Baptism.   No more serving the world, the flesh and the devil.

It will be a worldwide phenomenon.   Christ Will come back in great glory.   His return will not be a quiet affair.  Apostle John described the Parousia in great deal.

Q1. (Titus 2:12-13) If we were convinced that Christ would soon return, what effect would that have on the way we conduct ourselves? Why is this hope "blessed"? In what way will Christ's return exhibit his glory?

A1.

Wisdom suggests that we should be ever ready given that we do not know the time Jesus would return.

This hope is blessed hope because our hope for eternal life in heaven would become a reality at Jesus' return.

Christ return would will exhibit his glory because he will be accompanied host of angels revealing his power and glory.

Christ is coming soon and I hope that I am conducting myself in that manner. This hope is “blessed” because we have something to look forward to. This world is not all that there is and I am planning on going to the new earth. Christ is the King and that is what exhibits his glory.

Q1. (TITUS 2:12-13) 
If we were convinced that Christ would soon return, what effect would that have on the way we conduct ourselves? Why is this hope "blessed"? In what way will Christ's return exhibit His glory? 
If we truly believe Jesus is coming soon, this will have an effect on all that we do. A believer who truly loves Christ, and who is convinced and understands these things will want to live a godly life. Knowing what Jesus has done and why He has done it, we look forward to His return, and will not want to disappoint Him. On the other hand, ungodly living in a believer is a clear sign that they do not fully understand what is going on, or even that they don’t actually believe in Christ’s Second Coming. As sinners, we had no hope beyond the grave, but all who die in Christ will be raised from among the dead. This is our blessed hope, the appearing of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, and the fact that we will be taken home to heaven to be with Christ and to be like Him forever. It is blessed because of the blessings that come with it. One commentator calls the blessed hope “the link between our present and future.” At His coming we shall see Him in all His glory - His perfection. When one thinks of the glory of Christ, we are reminded about His great love and the great work He has accomplished for us, His disciples. His glory is completed as His enemies are made His footstool, and He is surrounded by His chosen ones. He who has been exalted to the right hand of God, will return in glory for the judgment of all mankind.