JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q6. Whole-heartedness

Q6. (1 Kings 3:5-15) What does Solomon’s answer to God’s question tell us about Solomon’s heart at this time? Do you serve Jesus for what he can do for you or for what you can do for him? Why is singleness of heart so important to true discipleship?

• 1 month later...

Solomon's answer to God's question in 1 Kings 3:5-15 provides insight into his heart at that time: Humility and Dependency on God: Solomon's response reflects humility and a sense of dependency on God. He acknowledges his own limitations and inadequacies, recognizing that he is young and inexperienced in comparison to the great task of governing God's people. This humility is indicative of a heart that is open to God's guidance and direction. Desire for Wisdom: Solomon's request for wisdom demonstrates his understanding of the importance of discernment and sound judgment in leadership. He prioritizes wisdom above all else, recognizing that it is essential for governing God's people justly and effectively. This desire for wisdom reflects a heart that values righteousness and seeks to honour God in his leadership roleFocus on Serving Others: Solomon's ultimate goal in seeking wisdom is not self-serving but rather centered on serving God's people. He desires wisdom so that he can govern and judge the people of Israel with fairness and justice, ensuring their well-being and upholding the principles of God's law. This focus on serving others reveals a heart that is aligned with God's purposes and committed to the welfare of his people.

Regarding the question of whether we serve Jesus for what he can do for us or for what we can do for him, the answer lies in the orientation of our hearts. True discipleship involves a shift from a self-centered focus to a Christ-centered focus. When we serve Jesus for what he can do for us, our motives may be driven by a desire for personal gain, blessings, or success. However, when we serve Jesus for what we can do for him, our motives are rooted in love, obedience, and a desire to honour and glorify him. 

The following scripture explains exactly what happens when a person does that. Matthew 6:33: "But seek the Lord first the kingdom of God, and His righteousness; and all these things shall be added to you."  

Singleness of heart is crucial to true discipleship because it reflects a wholehearted commitment to Christ. A single-hearted devotion to Jesus means that He occupies the central place in our affections, priorities, and pursuits. When our hearts are undivided and fully devoted to Christ, we are better able to follow him faithfully, serve him wholeheartedly, and experience the abundant life that he offers. Singleness of heart guards against the distractions and temptations that can lead us astray and ensures that our allegiance remains steadfastly with Jesus.

Solomon’s answer is surprisingly wise for a young man – I have two twenty-something sons and am quite certain they wouldn’t ask for wisdom! That’s just not the sort of thing most young men think about. Thus, Solomon’s answer sets him apart from and above the typical male at that age, particularly considering he is a young man invested with great power. It is true that Solomon had expected to follow his father’s footsteps, to be a king. He must have been schooled by people around him including his father for the great responsibility he would assume. Still, think of all the egoistic, power-hungry, young kings … Solomon was different.

Did Solomon talk to God as David did? I don’t see him having the same sort of intimacy with God as did his father. Scripture doesn’t record everything, and perhaps the dream that he had was just the tip of the iceberg of his relationship with God. I hope so. Clearly, Solomon recognized God was speaking to him in a dream, and he did so while dreaming! That’s amazing.

God was pleased with his answer. But could he have asked for something better? I wonder what his father would have answered if asked this same question. Solomon could have asked for great faith, or the faith and intimacy of his father's relationship with God ... multiplied by ten, for example. That would have pleased God, but would it have pleased God more than his real answer? 

God was pleased for his request for wisdom enough to give him wealth and honor. He did NOT get a long life, however, because of his disobedience. It's interesting that God took this from him and not something else.

To be honest, I serve God both for what He does for me as well as what I can do for him, though I feel that what I do is insignificant. I want to serve him more. And more deeply. By this I mean I want him to speak to me as he did David, leading me and telling me clearly what I should do.

Singleness of heart is a phrase that means “focus.” Focusing on God, not myself or my needs, is very difficult when my needs are overwhelming. He is teaching me -- right now -- to not be distracted by my own desires and needs but instead focus on Him. I am trying to obey, but fear of the future loom large in my mind. It's a constant battle to focus on Him. I've learned that focusing on the tasks at hand, humble and insignificant though they may be, keeps my mind on Him.

Q6. (1 Kings 3:5-15)

What does Solomon's answer to God's question tell us about Solomon's heart at this time?

Solomon wants to please GOD. Solomon wants to serve God's people as best he can in the best possible way that pleases GOD. 

As David the father of Solomon has said to him "only do what is right in GOD's eyes" Solomon has that longing just to fulfil his fathers words. 

Do you serve Jesus for what he can do for you or for what you can do for him?

JESUS already done everything for me, I have received it as a gift and now I am HIS to do what HE wants me to do.

Why is singleness of heart so important to true discipleship?

There will be only one thing to on your heart and mind, to serve GOD with everything that is with in us. 

Solomon was truly into the responsibility of being made king after his father king David. He humbly acknowledge  his need of help to tule over this great nation .When God gave him the opportunity to ask , Solomon  Opened his heart and asked the most appropriate help- wisdom .

I serve Jesus for who He is to me , my Saviour and my Master  to obey his will  also my Provider in strength and all that I need  to fulfill his purpose for me on earth

Serving Jesus with an undivided heart leads to victory that honors his Name which we carry as his disciples on earth. 

Q6. (1 KINGS 3:5-15) 
What does Solomon's answer to God's question tell us about Solomon's heart at this time? Do you serve Jesus for what He can do for you or for what you can do for Him? Why is singleness of heart so important to true discipleship? 
A very caring heart, one that loves the Lord admitting his own inexperience, and his concern that he might not be able to rule justly in obedience to the Lord’s commandments. Also, acknowledging his dependence on God by referring to himself as God’s servant (3:7-8). He truly loved the Lord. I love to think that I serve the Lord Jesus Christ my Saviour, out of my love for Him, and not for any selfish motive. The heart of a true disciple must display an intense love for our Lord. A love that desires to obey and serve Him; to glorify His name, and a deep grief when one fails to obey.