JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Confidence in the Flesh

Q1. (3:2-6) How does "confidence in the flesh" show up in your congregation? Have you ever struggled with it? 

As a safeguard, Paul reviewed the basics with these believers. The Bible is our safeguard both morally and theologically. When we read it individually and publicly in church, it alerts us to corrections we need to make in our thoughts, attitudes, and actions.

These “dogs” and “wicked men” were Jewish Christians who wrongly believed that it was essential for Gentiles to follow all the Old Testament Jewish laws, especially submission to the rite of circumcision, in order to receive salvation. Many in church are were motivated by spiritual pride. Because they had invested so much time and effort in keeping their laws, they couldn’t accept the fact that all their efforts couldn’t bring them a step closer to salvation.
Paul criticized the Judaizers because they looked at Christianity backward—thinking that what they did (circumcision—cutting or mutilating the flesh) made them believers rather than the free gift of grace given by Christ. What believers do is a result of faith, not a prerequisite to faith. This had been confirmed by the early church leaders at the Jerusalem council 11 years earlier. The Judaizers of our day are those who say that people must add something else to simple faith. No person should add anything to Christ’s offer of salvation by grace through faith.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q1. (3:2-6) How does "confidence in the flesh" show up in your congregation?

Answer: I notice that in the music ministry, some groups the practice is being done only in the morning right before the worship service, some members of the music ministry has not been gone to practice yet during the worship proper they play the instrument.

Have you ever struggled with it? 

Answer: Yes, when there are times when I boast because I felt better that the other brethren.

• 9 months later...
On 4/18/2005 at 11:52 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (3:2-6) How does "confidence in the flesh" show up in your congregation? Have you ever struggled with it?

I think for my church, to much confidence in the flesh when they focus on being "Religious" and not on our Savior.

Yes I have, when I try to do everything myself instead of trusting God.

• 5 years later...

Pastor Ralph asked this question with reference to church, not individual even though it would be a lot easier to answer as an individual Christian.

I used to be -- and my heart is still -- Anglican, a denomination that puts a lot of emphasis, unfortunately, on the exterior appearance, wealth and habits of worship. I think this denomination knows, deep inside, that only "circumcision of the heart" matters, but sometimes acts as if it's congregants have to queue in time to the circumcision of the flesh, to just do the rituals.

It's quite possible to be truly circumcised in the heart while displaying some of the fleshly symptoms too. We have clay feet. individuals, like churches, are both worshipful in it's true sense while damaged and sin-bound. So, of the three evidences that Pastor Ralph of true circumcision, I think even my old Anglican church had some of them some of the time.

1. Sometimes worship was by the spirit of God. Is this supposed to mean Holy Spirit led? Are the gifts supposed to show up, here?

2. Often worship exulted in the glory of Jesus. The liturgy does this, actually -- an argument for liturgy! -- because it was written by some of the deepest, most spiritually mature Christians, long ago. It's hard to wreck the service of a liturgical church.

3. Rarely did the sinful nature of congregants go directly and overtly against God, particularly in worship. Though I wonder what certain individuals were thinking during the service, as a whole, the service was directed as planned and certainly not against God.