JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Confidence in the Flesh

How does "confidence in the flesh"show up in your congregation?

Can't think of any current examples right now,but I'm sure it exists.

Have you ever stuggled with it?

Yes,all the time.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say that I see much confidence in the flesh at my church. I don't know their hearts as God does, but what my eyes see, is a church totally dependent on God and looking to Him for His direction!! I on the other hand

may sometimes fall into this trap. But it doesn't take me but a minute to realize that "I can't" only God "can". And knowing that the burden is on Him and He alone, then releases me to trust in, rely on, and totally look to Him for His direction, and His plan and purpose. Because God never fails, I rest in the assurance that whatever He is doing, I am but His instrument, and the work is accomplished as He would have it. My own endeavors fizzle, God's

always come to pass!!! Thank God!! Because He is! And He knows what He's doing!

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, confindence in the flesh does show up. I do think that happens because we are of the flesh. But my job is to over come trusting in the flesh and keeping my eyes firmly on Jesus Christ. For this reason, My family has started our own little home church. The church we were attending couldn't follows its on bylaws, One or two people did what they thought was the right thing to do. Which, I'm so sadden to say, is because there was trusting in the flesh. That the laws was put aside. So, I had to put aside what feeling there are, and truly trust in my Lord God.

• 1 month later...

When we think and act as man does then we're acting in the flesh. It shows up in my congregation when our own desires are put above Christ's and yes, it does happen. My own struggle is not keeping focused on Christ daily, not walking in faith daily, but looking at what's around me. I struggle to keep the focus.

CONFIDENCE IN THE FLESH SHOWS UO IN THE CONGREGATION WHEN WE START PUTTING TRUST IN OURSELVES IN THE WORK WE DO FOR GOD.WE PUR MORE EMPHASIS ON RELIGIOUS EFFORT THAN ON INTERNAL FAITH.WE CANT SATISFY GOD BY JUST WORKING HARD DOING HIS WORK.WE MUST HAVE A LOVING RESPONCE TO WHAT OUR CONGREGATION DOES.YES,I AM SURE THERE HAS BEEN MANY TIMES I HAVE STRUGGLED WITH THIS.I USED TO THINK I WAS PLEASING GOD BY BEING IN CHURCH FIVE TIMES A WEEK.ALL I DID FOR MYSELF WAS GET TIRED,AND WASTE A LOT OF GAS GOING UP AND DOWN THE ROAD.I CAME BACK HOME SPIRITUALLY EMPTY.iT IS GOOD TO BE IN CHURCH,BUT WE NEED EQUAL BALANCE,GOD NEEDS US IN OTHER PLACES ALSO.BLESSINGS LINDA :P

• 1 month later...

I'VE ATTENDED MANY CHURCHES OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS WHERE THEY PLACED THEIR CONFIDENCE IN THE FLESH . IN ONE PARTICULAR CHURCH YOU WERENT ALLOWED TO WEAR PANTS OR CUT YOUR HAIR OR WEAR MAKE-UP IF YOU WERE A FEMALE.THEY WERE VERY RELIGIOUS AND IT LOOKED GOOD ON THE OUTSIDE BUT THEY WERE CONDEMNING AND JUDGING OTHER LEADERS AND OTHER DENOMINATIONS AND EVENTUALLY THE HOLY SPIRIT PROMPTED ME TO LEAVE .

I'VE STRUGGLED WITH PUTTING CONFIDENCE IN THE FLESH MANY TIMES. I DO THIS WHEN I TRY TO ANALYSE AND FIGURE THINGS OUT ON MY OWN AND NOT TRUST GOD FOR HIS GUIDANCE AND NOT SEEK HIM IN PRAYER FOR ANSWERS.I'M GETTING A LITTLE BETTER AT TRUSTING HIM THOUGH......GOD BLESS......

• 9 months later...

In our church confidence in the flesh rears it's ugly head daily, mainly by responding to and attempting to deal with situations of our own, not being lead by the Holy Spirit. The result is discord. As for myself, I die daily.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (3:2-6) How does "confidence in the flesh" show up in your congregation? Have you ever struggled with it?

This is a big one for me...churches that brag about being commandment keeping churches as mine does...fall into the trap that is what saves them. The practice of "religion" is of the flesh in many ways. It's such a fine line, we know Christ and what to do and what not, yet we question our own motives for why we do it and onme can begin to doubt their own motives. I remind myself when it comes to that choice of questioning my motive, I rather be obedient and I work out the rest later. Our flesh doesn't want to do God's will, never has, never will. In my church it shows up through putting doctrine ahead of Christ. Don't get me started I could go on for hours on this subject

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Q1. (3:2-6) How does "confidence in the flesh" show up in your congregation? Have you ever struggled with it?

If I do all the right things and dress the 'right way' then somehow I feel like I am ok.

Or if I volunteer for all the right committees and donate to all the right causes.....

I probably have struggles with it because it seems more controllable then just trusting & believing God to save me.

"If I do all the right things then God is obligated to fill His part of the deal."

• 3 weeks later...

Q1. (3:2-6) How does "confidence in the flesh" show up in your congregation? Have you ever struggled with

None of us will ever find enlightenment by "following the rules" or by works alone. It takes a truly heartfelt commitment to the Lord. I tithe, I do works, ( Bible Study and lawn maintenance) but they are useless without my belief in God and my willingness to serve him with my whole heart in whatever way he choses for me. In the church that I have recently began to attend half of the congregation left 5 years ago because they could not resolve their differences, almost none of which were spiritual. This pettiness still surfaces to this day among a few of our members. This is not how Paul would have us conduct ourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (3:2-6) How does "confidence in the flesh" show up in your congregation?

"confidence in the flesh" show up in my congregation as agendas and programs are made and leaves no room for the manifested power of God to move. Too much is done because of traditions.

Have you ever struggled with it?

Yes, I've struggled with "confidence in the flesh," but I pray God that I would overcome such transgressions and completely turn everything over to Him.

• 4 weeks later...

i'd be a fool to say nope, not me, uh-uh, no way. it tries to raise it's ugly head all the time. i see it when people praise god yet their words are empty. their lifestyle says differently. i see it on tbn all the time. where most of the teaching says look at me,it's about me. i see it in religion. where there is scripture quoted and memorized, but where is the Holy Spirit?

• 1 month later...

Confidence in the flesh shows up in my congregation in people being self-righteous, smug, and religious. Yes, I have struggled with this in the past. However, by the graciousness of God, He has moved me through that phase of my spiritual development. Praise God. I have no confidence in the flesh, but I glory and have hope in Jesus Christ:)

• 6 months later...

I definitely do struggle with confidence in the flesh, and I know that everyone in our church does too. It's so hard to expect God to take control when we have so many resources at our disposal. It's no wonder that the church is growing very fast in South America, Africa, and Asia --- because those people have very little material wealth compared to us in N.A. We also spend all our days (but Sundays) doing all we can to the best of our ability - to raise children, make money, entertain, and exercise. All of these things are done 'in the flesh'. After all, does God drive that truck? Does he clean the house? No...we do, and we're pretty good at it, right? And then, for some reason, on Sunday, we're supposed to turn our lives over to Jesus and let him have control. Fat chance, eh?

Of course, I also struggle with it personally. I might even say "that was a pretty good paragraph I just wrote." HAHA. Anyways, the way I try to deal with it, and I'm not sure if I have it right, is to "walk in step with the Spirit" as far as I can tell in my daily life. If the Spirit wants me to work hard, then I had better work hard. If the Spirit wants me to be casual and hang out, then I had better chill. The trouble is, I need to eliminate the sinful habits, thoughts, and attitudes in order to be able to sense the Spirit at work, and those parts of my life are still under construction. So, in the meantime, I'll journey along with everyone else.

There are people in church who believe they are more important because they have been attending the church for 20 years. They sit in the same spot every Sunday. They give off a signal that they are better than others.

There was a time I might have been guilty of this but I ask God every day to help me love all people(especially his church) as we all have to work together for good.

• 3 months later...

We are a small country church that doesn't try to please man but to glorify the Lord. We all work together to acomplish what we can for the Lord with his help. There is a sweet spirit in our church that many visiting people have commented on. We praise God for this and give him the glory. I live in a town that has many large churches but the Lord led me to this church many years ago and I continue to go there.

• 3 months later...

Bosting and braging about what "I" have and have done rather than what God has done for me and through me . Misleading children of God, making one self seem to be more important and independent of God through His Son Christ Jesus. Teaching the law and leaving the True Gospel out, the true history of Jesus Christ. For it is worshiping God with our spirits that keeps us connected to the True Vine.

Yes, each day I find some struggles trying to turn me around, but I know that I glory in what Christ Jesus has done for me and through me. I realize that I am helpless with out Him over me and this life He has given me, so I have all hope, trust and all faith that God through His Son Christ Jesus my Savor and Redeemer will handle any and all struggles that comes my way as long as I stay connected to the True Vine.

• 6 months later...

Interestingly enough this is the only church of which we've been members, where I don't see this. Before individuals may serve, they must become members, and serve in training roles as a test of where the heart is. The "microphone grabbers, and limelight servers" are quickly weeded out. Amazing church filled with true humility, love and servants hearts.

As a new believer I struggled with the concept of allowing God to serve/ operate through me, and I felt a great deal of pressure to perform...even nausea when leading groups because of my inadequacy....which served me well! That's how I learned that I must rely on Him for everything. I'm writing a book that He's called me to write, and I have moments where I say to Him "I can't do this!" Then He reminds me that is true and to surrender to Him and He'll write through me so it has the impact He desires!

• 2 months later...

Q1. (3:2-6)

How does "confidence in the flesh" show up in your congregation?

Our salvation and Christian walk is dependent upon the grace of God, and because we live by grace, we attach no importance to confidence in the flesh. The

• 7 months later...

"Confidence in the flesh" shows up in may areas among those I worship with - education (the type of degrees they possess) - kinship (relationship to specific people) - the office or position that is held - financial status - just to name a few. . .

Yes, I have - and I am confident that I will have plenty more opportunities to struggle with it as long as the world exist or as long as I live in it. . . As I said, the struggle or temptation will always be there but I feel that my success in overcoming the temptation and being victorious in the struggle is in my determination to remain humbly submissive to God and walk in agreement with His Word. . .

1 Peter 5:6 (KJV)

6 Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time:

Philippians 2:1-5 (KJV)

1 If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies,

2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind.

3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves.

4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

B)

• 3 weeks later...

We always try to do things ourselves.

In my first church, they were so hypocrite.

Most of those people (gereformeerden) only go to church on Sunday - and see this as their part of the job, something that they need to do.

The rest of the week they didn't behave as christians at all.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Yes, I have seen people in the church who have put their “confidence in the flesh”, they go to church every Sunday, and are very proud that they never drink or go to dances, they appear outwardly to be one of the “circumcised” but their lives did not heed the warning Paul was teaching the Philippians, the importance that the Christian who are of the conversion, those who have been grafted into the covenant God made with Israel, but their lives do not exhibit to the world that they have been “spiritually Circumcised”, are a Christian who are “confident in the flesh” (their outward works) while their lives reveal a "stiff necked people", sad to say, yes I have seen this in a congregation of believers.

I am happy to say, “no I have never struggled with the legalism of mans laws”.