JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. I and the Father are One

Pastor Ralph

Jesus and the Father are one yet they along with the Holy Spirit are separate persons or a trinity.

Jesus is God's Son and God is His Father. 

Jesus is God in the flesh and He does whatever the Father tells Him to do. He came to save us from our sins and to die for us. He is the Word incarnate. God is our Father and creator. God created us and sent Jesus to save us and Jesus died for us . 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/2/2006 at 1:21 AM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q3. In what sense are Jesus and the Father one? In what way was Jesus distinct from the Father? Is Jesus God in the sense that the Father is God?

In John 10: 30 Jesus said, "I and the Father are one."  I think in claiming that they were one He was speaking of having equal power with God,  of having one mind or being in complete and absolute agreement.  They live in perfect unity. 

Jesus was distinct from the Father in several ways.  On the day Jesus was baptized a voice from Heaven was heard which said, "This is My beloved Son in whom I am well pleased."  While Jesus was on earth the Father was in Heaven.   In John 12: 49 Jesus states, "For I have not spoken of Myself but the Father which sent Me, He gave Me a commandment, what I should say and what I should speak."  Scripture also tells of Jesus praying to the Father multiple times. Jesus also said that no one can get to the Father except through Him.

In John 10: 38 Jesus said that He and the Father are 'one', and John 1: 1 says that Jesus was in the beginning with God and that He was God, which, to me, means that Jesus is as much God as the Father but with different roles.

• 6 months later...

The Greek word "ousia" means foundation. GOD THE FATHER AND GOD THE SON are of the same substance.   One would need to examine their Greek lexicon to discover the facets of "ousia".  "These three are one" (John 1: 7-8).   We are not talking about three parts of one person.  It is three persons for bearing witness to the Sonship of Jesus Christ is the whole subject of 1John 5:5-11, 13-20.  We read in the Holy Bible that God and man demand three witnesses to confirm truth.  There must be separate persons, not three parts, capable of seeing, speaking, thinking, and acting. 

Christ partakes of the same 'ousia' essence of the Father. Christ is the great 'I Am.  Yet Christ is the servant who did not grasp His glory and became man.  Christ did not try to hold on His Lordship; He became a servant and a mediator between us and God the Father.

• 1 year later...

Jesus and The Father are one because they are one God that exist and is expressed in three persons with The Holy Spirit but still one God not three. It can be hard for the human mind to wrap itself around that but it doesn't change the fact of it being true. Jesus is distinct from The Father because he is the Son not the Father but still the same God. Jesus gives us access to The Father. There is no other way to The Father except through Jesus. Jesus is God just like The Father is God. One God.

• 1 year later...

Q3. In what sense are Jesus and the Father one?
Jesus and God are one of the same with the Holy Spirit. Jesus is God in the flesh. Since God who is a spirit couldn't come to earth to take on our sin since we are flesh. He came in the flesh as Jesus to be a living sacrifice for all man kind. Taking on every sin possible to man by dying in the flesh. Then returning to heaven in spirit form. Jesus obeyed the Father and did only what he told him to do. 

In what way was Jesus distinct from the Father?

Jesus was fully man which makes him different from the Father who is spirit.

Is Jesus God in the sense that the Father is God?

I believe that Jesus is God in the flesh, He is the living word. God knew that we couldn't possible save our selfs by fulfilling the law. We needed Jesus to take on our sin so that we could be saved. God is a spirit, we needed a savior in the flesh, so God sent His son Jesus to fulfill the law. God is the Father since he created Jesus yet they are one and the same with the Holy Spirit. Who was sent after Jesus to dwell within us, so we have God in us. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/6/2006 at 2:43 AM, olori said:

Jesus is God in the flesh, God incarnate. This means they are one, the same.

Jesus is God's Son. God is Jesus' Father. This makes them distinct from one another.

Jesus and God are the same, yet different. God sent Jesus that we might live, Jesus is God in the flesh, Jesus is the Word. Jesus is the Son, God is the Father yet they are one and the same 2 parts of the trinity.

Only the second statement is correct.

Jesus is not 'God incarnate'. He is just like his Father.

Jesus also said that the apostles were one with them. (John 17)

On 3/11/2006 at 7:58 AM, pickledilly said:

Jesus and Father are one in the sense that they are two of the three persons of triune Yahweh - the one true and living God. They have different roles and personalities, yet they are the very same essence of divinity, perfect holiness, and love.

Jesus clearly identified that He obeys the Father's will, reflects the Father's glory, came to earth clothed in flesh to restore fallen man to the Father. 1 Cor.8:6 says there is only one Supreme Divinity, the Father, and that there is only one Supreme Master Owner, Jesus Christ. Yet it says that through each of them came all things and through each of them we live. They have to be the same God. Jesus said they are one.

I don't know if this is "correct", but I think of it this way. Father designed the plan of creation and redemption according to His will, Jesus Christ the Son obediently executed that plan and revealed the Father to humanity, and the Spirit implements the plan of His will throughout creation and within the hearts and lives of humanity. I AM WHO I AM, the Self-Existent One, exists as pure perfection. If any one of the three persons of the divine Trinity were missing, God would not be perfect! Jesus is identified by that name in prophecy (fulfilled and future) and by His own testimony. He is Yahweh, equally as much as Father and the Spirit.

NOTHING LIKE the words, nor the actual words 'trinity, triune' are in the Bible. 

They are words fabricated in false religions.

On 3/13/2006 at 6:17 PM, Helenmm said:

Jesus was conceived by the HolySpirit Who, described as the "Power of the Highest", "overshadowed" her. Jesus is the physical incarnation of the power of God through His Spirit.

That's EXACTLY what God's holy spirit is. Not a Third Person in a divine Trio.