JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q13. Blessings to the Church

Q13. (Ephesians 1:22-23) When we neglect to be an active part of a local congregation, what particular blessings do we miss out on according to Paul in this verse? How do we, by our absence, withhold this blessing from others? 
When we neglect to be an active part of a local congregation we miss out being a part of the body of Christ. No relationship could be closer than that of the head and the body; Christ and the church. They are one in vital union and indwelt by one Spirit. The church is a company of people saved by grace, and given the unique privilege of being the body of Christ. It is in the church that we work together doing Jesus’ work on earth, glorifying our heavenly Father. By our absence we withhold others from blessings that our Lord has given the church as a whole to share.  

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since there is an article before "church" which makes it ONE or THE church, does it not refer to the more mystical meaning of church since every particular church, such as the one I attend, would make the word plural? Also, the idea of one body under His headship seems mystical. 

I guess I read this verse quite differently, as a statement about Christ nature and character. Christ is over everything -- ALL things, including the church. So the church, as His earthly body, is only part of the "fulness of Him who fills everything in every way." I suppose this could be interpreted as more of a statement about the church, and not Christ, but it's still amazing that Christ fills everything in every way ... everything!

--

Regarding my individual church, it's just one among the thousands of churches in the world. I agree that fellowship is important, and to the degree that church engenders fellowship, it's important to attend, but still wonder if the way we "do church" today needs to be re-considered as it has been every generation.

By not being an active part of a local congregation we miss out his fullness because the fullness of Christ is the body the entirety, the church the totality of the called out ones....we are severed from what flows from the head down to the body.

Ephesians 4:8, 11-16 (KJV)  Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

We rob the body it's fullness and perfection

By not being an active part of a local congregation we miss out his fullness because the fullness of Christ is the body the entirety, the church the totality of the called out ones....we are severed from what flows from the head down to the body.

Ephesians 4:8, 11-16 (KJV)  Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.
And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:
From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

We rob the body it's fullness and perfection

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2006 at 9:22 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q13. (Ephesians 1:22-23) When we neglect to be an active part of a local congregation, what particular blessings do we miss out on according to Paul in this verse? How do we, by our absence, withhold this blessing from others?

We miss fellowship with other believers all having gifts given to us from God and to being blessed by other members in the Body of Christ.  We are the Body of Christ here on earth, His hands and feet, to do His work.

We are not to be an island unto ourselves by staying home and not having fellowship with the body when we do, we withhold a blessing to others.  We all have something to give and share even in helping and loving one another and to doing His work and sharing His Gospel.

We miss out on all the spiritual resources that Christ has given to the church. I can testify that the church has been my mentor since I was a baby.   My parents covenanted me to God and dutifully brought up in the Christain faith. Plus I went to a good Christain college to be further mentored in the faith.   Christ THINKS FOR THE CHURCH, the CHURCH ACTS FOR CHRIST.  What a profound power from heaven that has been given to the church.  Truly an immense pentecostal union between believers; Paul is beckoning the Ephesians to experience more of the full measure of the Father's mighty power wrought in Christ.

Not being with the brethern, we miss out on expository preaching  of the Bible and the exhortations that we need very much.  During this time of Covid,  this social Isolation has made problems for believers--especially for young converts.  They need to rub.shoulders with seasoned believers.   Internet has its place but nothing can compare being with the saints.  Those who are stalwart believers cannot be fruitful if they continue to isolate themselves; the gifts of the Holy Spirit are for the edification of the  church.   

• 1 month later...

1.  When we neglect to be an active part of a local congregation, what particular blessings do we miss out on according to Paul in this verse?

When we neglect to be part of a congregation, we miss the blessing of fellowship, as well as being truly filled in Christ and being part of His body and working as a member of His body into whatever He has told/called you to do.

2. How do we, by our absence, withhold this blessing from others?

When we neglect to be part of a congregation, we could be withholding the blessing of fellowship from others because we might be the only person they feel comfortable talking to but we might also be hindering whatever they were called/told to do because sometimes for one member to do one thing, another one has to do something else first.

THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

When we neglect to be an active part of a local congregation we are missing out on the blessings that God has for us. By out absence we are withholding this blessing from others because it is great to be with other believers. We can relax and just take in the love.

• 1 year later...