JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Bearing Our Punishment

:wub:

Sin = Death = Damnation = without God = Eternity of Torment.

Having God's Spirit in me, through me, all circumferenced about me is the only reason I LIVE. In the Flesh we believe we are living and to the fullest... yet God shows us Death is not only imminent, but Forever... a tormenting death forever. Death to the Flesh now, while in Christ brings such Liberty (Freedom) in Him. His death in sacrifice on the Cross gave to me a Liberty in Him I would never know otherwise. Victorious over Death = Sin = Damnation = Without God = Eternity of Torment. Each time I have communion with God... I chew slowly the bread to which I eat... reminding me of the Body of Christ Crushed and Broken... I allow the wine/juice to sit on my tongue and think about His blood flowing out and over Him. Such Cleansing. And each time I remember how He saved my soul... gave to me Life Eternal... and know that anything I endure on Earth is never Equal to What He Endures for US. Oh, what Glory. Thank You Jesus... The Lord Endureth Forever. Amen Sunshine

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q4. The Servant also bears the punishment deserved by sinners. In what sense, if any, did Jesus bear the punishment due you when he died on the cross? Exposition

:) A baseball pitcher pitches 8 innings and his team is losing momentum, the game is going to be lost unless the coach substitutes a new pitcher. The new pitcher comes in at the bottom of the 9th and pitches 3 up and 3 down. At the end of the game when the stats are compiled the substitute pitcher is credited with a "save".

In contrast to my life, I was the first pitcher. Struggling and working by own power and abilities, and despite by best effort I was losing. God knew that if He did not put someone in my place, the game was lost. Christ comes in at the bottom of the 9th inning of my life, I deserve to lose but He strikes out the enemy, the power of sin, the penalty of sin, the defeat by sin, 1,2, 3 strikes their out. He gets the save, I escape the agony of defeat.

I deserve to suffer the consequences of my sin. But God loved me and you so much that He sent and allowed His Son to suffer the punishment that was rightfully due me. When Christ went to the cross, it was for me that He went. Only two scripture verses needed here, John 3:16 and Rom. 5:8.

Just as if the first pitcher would have stayed in the game he would have been "separated" from a victory that could never be recovered, it would forever be counted as a loss. It is the same sense with my life, the penalty for my lost soul would have been "separation" from God forever. My God, My God, why hast thou forsaken me?, takes on a whole new meaning when you consider that Christ suffered/experienced that separation judgement on the Cross, so that when I came to the Cross I came into victory by merit of His sufferings. Now that's Love. That one would substitute himself for anothers eternity.

:wub:

Jesus stood as a substitute in our place and suffered the death that we deserved. Sin's punishment is eternal death.

He was pierced for our transgressions

He was crushed for our iniquities

By His wounds we are healed

We have sinned against a holy God and deserve to be punished. Howver, since none of us would be able to stand up under or even survive the punishment we so justly deserve, Jesus accepted the punishment in our place.

The Servant also bears the punishment deserved by sinners. In what sense, if any, did Jesus bear the punishment due you when he died on the cross?

Jesus stood up under the violent wrath inflicted upon him by his killers--a picture of the violent wrath that God has for sin. He endured being forsaken by God--a feeling that must have left him utterly without hope. We always have God to turn to to help us with our problems, but if we lose God than what hope do we have? Jesus bore this terrible punishment to give us hope, joy, and an abundant, eternal life. Praise God!

Q4. The Servant also bears the punishment deserved by sinners. In what sense, if any, did Jesus bear the punishment due you when he died on the cross?

Jesus bore the punishment I deserved in every sense. Otherwise, wouldn't His sacrifice be incomplete? Furthermore, my peace wouldn't be complete -- shalom means nothing missing, nothing broken, right?

He bore my punishment. He freed my body from the effects of sin, my soul from the devastating wounds of sin, my spirit from the separation of sin.

I'm no theologian, so please take my ponderings with a very large grain of salt. ;)

I view this "freeing" like I do salvation. We are saved...and we are continually being saved. (Past work with a present continuing working out.) I am healed from sickness...and I am continually being healed from sickness. Patience (and everything else) is a continuing work in me. I am free from the effects of sin...and I am continually becoming more and more freed from the effects of sin in my life. Thank You, Lord.

Q4. The Servant also bears the punishment deserved by sinners. In what sense, if any, did Jesus bear the punishment due you when he died on the cross?

I deserved to be punished for my sins, to go to hell and never have a relationship with Father God. I deserved to be beaten and scourged and ridiculed. Not Jesus. He took my punishment, even when His Father forsook Him on calvary, because He knew that I could never bear this.

:(

• 3 weeks later...

Jesus died for my sins. He was my substitute on the cross -- dieing for my sins. He -- who was sinless -- died for me -- the sinner.

1 Joh 4:10 says

"AND THIS IS LOVE, NOT THAT WE LOVED GOD BUT THAT HE LOVED US, AND SENT HIS SON TO BE AN ATONING SACRAFICE FOR OUR SINS."

I like to substitute "MY SINS" for "OUR SINS". It helps me remember that it was for me He died.

At our Church on Good Friday we have a special service that concludes with each worshipper driving a nail into a wooden cross. This is a powerful reminder that Jesus died for each of us!

The Servant also bears the punishment deserved by sinners. In what sense, if any, did Jesus bear the punishment due you when he died on the cross?

:P

By the world's standards, I am not such a bad person. However, after getting to know God I can see my sin. God sees me and without Jesus He sees no good thing in me. I have to agree with God, because I see no good thing in me either. I was lazy, selfish, embittered, envious, complaining, gossiping, etc. I did not like what I saw in me. Jesus gives me hope for me. He can make me someone that I like and respect. He can change all of me and my habits into someone God sees as good and deserving. My first step was realizing who I was without Jesus, and my second step was asking Jesus to change me. Now, I take it one day at a time .. Prayer and bible reading and fasting are truly helping me to be the person God meant me to be. Jesus bore my punishment by giving me a second chance, so to speak. My punishment was to remain forever the person I was without Jesus.

• 3 weeks later...

A couple of points not yet made re: Jesus and his suffering. Unlike the sacrificial lamb in the OT who died a quick and relatively painless death, Jesus sacrifice was far from that. Most of us know the gory details and have to block them out should just the thought of them be too much for us to bear. Also, yes, he suffered on the cross. But the Suffering Servant's suffering was not limited to the cross. How about 40 days in the desert with wild animals and no food, Satan nipping at his heels? This was just for starters, to prepare Him. He often went hungry, without a place to lay his head, rejected by many, lost close friends to death and on and on. All to prepare Him for His ultimate suffereing.

Thank you Lord Jesus. I can only repay you with my love.

• 9 months later...

One day a while back, a man, his heart heavy with grief, was walking

in the woods. As he thought about his life this day, he knew many

things were not right. He thought about those who had lied about him

back when he had a job. His thoughts turned to those who had stolen

his things and cheated him. He remembered family that had passed on.

His mind turned to the illness he had that no one could cure. His

very soul was filled with anger, resentment and frustration. Standing

there this day, searching for answers he could not find, knowing all

else had failed him, he knelt at the base of an old oak tree to seek

the one he knew would always be there. And with tears in his eyes, he

prayed:"Lord- You have done wonderful things for me in this life. You

have told me to do many things for you, and I happily obeyed. Today,

you have told me to forgive. I am sad, Lord, because I cannot. I

don't know how. It is not fair Lord. I didn't deserve these wrongs

that were done against me and I shouldn't have to forgive. As perfect

as your way is Lord, this one thing I cannot do, for I don't know how

to forgive. My anger is so deep Lord, I fear I may not hear you, but

I pray that you teach me to do this one thing I cannot do - Teach me

To Forgive."

As he knelt there in the quiet shade of that old oak tree, he felt

something fall onto his shoulder. He opened his eyes. Out of the

corner of one eye, he saw something red on his shirt.

He could not turn to see what it was because where the oak tree had

been was a large square piece of wood in the ground. He raised his

head and saw two feet held to the wood with a large spike through

them.

He raised his head more, and tears cam e to his eyes as he saw Jesus

hanging on a cross. He saw spikes in His hands, a gash in His side, a

torn and battered body, deep thorns sunk into His head. Finally he

saw the suffering and pain on His precious face. As their eyes met,

the man's tears turned to sobbing, and Jesus began to speak.

"Have you ever told a lie?" He asked?

The man answered - "yes, Lord."

"Have you ever been given too much change and kept it?"

The man answered - " yes. Lord." And the man sobbed more and more.

"Have you ever taken something from work that wasn't yours?" Jesus

asked? And the man answered - "yes, Lord."

"Have you ever sworn, using my Father's name in vain? "

The man, crying now, answered - "yes, Lord."

As Jesus asked many more times, "Have you ever"? The man's crying

became uncontrollable, for he could only answer - "yes, Lord."

Then Jesus turned His head from one side to the other, and the man

felt something fall on his other shoulder. He looked and saw that it

was the blood of Jesus. When he looked back up, his eyes met those of

Jesus, and there was a look of love the man had never seen or known

before.

Jesus said, "I didn't deserve this either, but I forgive you."

It may be hard to see how you're going to get through something, but

when you look back in life, you realize how true this statement is.

Read the following first line slowly and let it sink in.

If God brings you to it - He will bring you through it.

Lord I love You and I need You, come into my heart, today. For

without You I can do nothing.

worry.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Because God is a God of Love, He cannot allow us to be separated from Him for eternity. He sent Jesus to die on the cross as an atonement for my sins. Jesus bore my punishment by experiencing the separation from God that I would have experienced. I have the choice

• 4 weeks later...

Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death," I am a sinner and have broken GOD's laws therefore I deserve death. The verse also reads, "but the gift of GOD is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." (NIV) Jesus paid the penalty for my sins when He suffered and poured out His blood on the cross.

As Charles Wesley wrote, "AMAZING LOVE! HOW CAN IT BE THAT THOU, MY GOD, SHOULDST DIE FOR ME! What amazing love that He was willing to take my place and suffer that which I could not to pay for my sins.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Since the wages of sin is death, by willing taking up my sins, the Servant also willing paid the price for my sins by dying on the cross. The punishment that was meant for me, Jesus bore it on the cross so that I can live. He died so that I can live and by His wounds I am healed!

• 5 months later...

In all senses.

He was the King of Glory, He left angels and throne and a higher position just for me sinner and dust.

He is worthy because no one ever could be able to take my sin and put it, carry it and take the pushinment for me, He's my Lord and Saviour

He deserves everything I am and all that I have. I'm in debt with Him for ever.

I exhalt you and honor and lift up your Name above All names

Jesus may Lord and Saviour.

Thank you with a greatful heart.

Mayra

• 3 weeks later...

I am from the Philippines (a Filipino) who is interested in knowing more about the Bible and the reflections or thoughts of others about "The Lamb Who Takes Our Place." Now that it's Advent Season we are reminded of Jesus, the Messiah, God Incarnate, and the Savior of the world. In the New Testament, it was John the Baptist who said, "Behold, the Lamb of God that taketh away the sins of the world." If anyone thinks that he is in need of a Savior, then Jesus, the Lamb of God, will take his/her place. Actually, Jesus died for all of us at the cross---still the sacrificial Lamb who was sacrificed. I believe with anyone who says that Jesus took the sinner's place at Calvary, and I am one of them. I praise God for Jesus' ministry and mission to the world.

• 5 months later...

WHEN JESUS DIED ON THE CROSS,HE WAS BEING PUNISHED FOR EVERY LIED I'D EVER TOLD,FOR EVERY WRONG I'D EVER DONE, OR WOULD DO.HE TOOK ALL SINS OF MINE-- PAST, PRESENT AND FUTURE UPON HIMSELF FOR SOMEONE WHO DIDNT DESERVE IT.HOW VERY UNSELFISH AND MERCIFUL IS OUR LORD.I THOUGHT I WAS A PRETTY GOOD PERSON TILL I MET JESUS CHRIST AND FOUND OUT THERE IS NO ONE REALLY GOOD EXCEPT HIM..I'M SO THANKFUL HE'S BEEN SHOWING ME THE JUNK IN MY HEART SO I CAN HONESTLY REPENT AND HAVE A CLOSER, DEEPER WALK WITH HIM...GOD BLESS.

• 2 months later...

I am a sinner, I deserve to die, and don't deserve eternal life but because Christ died on the cross on my behalf I have a life in fellowship with God the Father now, and will have eternal life later. Thanks be to God!

• 3 weeks later...
Q4. The Servant also bears the punishment deserved by sinners. In what sense, if any, did Jesus bear the punishment due you when he died on the cross? Exposition

:( ( Romans 6;23 ) For the wages of sin is dealth, but the gift of God is eternal Life in Christ Jesus our Lord. :P

( Romans 6;21-23 )The pleasure and profit of sin do not deserve to be called fruit,Sinners are but ploughing iniquity , sowing vanity, and reaping the same. Shame came into the world with sin, and is still the certain effect of it. The end of sin is dealth. Though the way may seem pleasant and inviting, yet it will be bitterness in the latter end. AMEN

• 2 weeks later...

View Mail Go To Page...Web Mail HomeINBOXComposeAddressesFoldersSearchOptionsHelp

Next | INBOX

Move message to...INBOXSpamDraftsSentTrash

Show Full Headers | Printer View | Add Sender To Address Book

To: "Lorraine Wright" <lewright@netscape.com>

Subject: Lorraine, Lamb: Lesson 2, Q4

Date: Wed 08/31/05 07:19 AM

Attachments

Name Type Save View

Message text/html Save

Behold, the Lamb of God

A JesusWalk Bible Study

www.jesuswalk.com/lamb/

by Dr. Ralph F. Wilson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have been set free from our slavery to sin. "God in his gracious kindness declares us not guilty. He has done this through Christ Jesus, who has freed us by taking away our sins. For God sent Jesus to take the punishment for our sins and to satisfy God's anger."

His sacrifice brings pardon, deliverance and freedom

• 2 months later...

:o

Jesus received the punishment due me when he hung on

the cross and took my sin upon himself,God who cannot look upon sin, turned away from him for a time. But Jesus being a perfect sacrifice,God could turn to him again as

soon as the payment was complete. If Jesus had not done that I could not be saved and would be separated from God forever. I am so thankful Jesus loved me and took my place.

• 4 months later...