JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. Psalm 117

Q3. (Psalm 117 and Lamentations 3:22-23). Why are love and trustworthiness so important as the bedrock of the Old Testament faith? What kinds of terms does the New Testament use to talk about these characteristics? Can you think of any New Testament verses that speak of these themes?

Because the Old Testament saints needed to know that they could count on God. They needed to know that God loved them even if they failed or sinned. Ones like Abraham needed to know and believe this when he was waiting for the promised heir and when he offered up Isaac on the altar. Over and over God proved His love and trustworthiness to Israel through delivering them. Israel could not have escaped from Egypt like they did if God had not proved to them that He cared and could be trusted to do what He says. Because of this people like Moses, Isaiah, and Jeremiah could persevere through trials and hard times knowing that God could be trusted and that He loved them.

In I Corinthians chapter 13 charity is used to describe love. The kind of love that God has for us and that we should have for others.

And in I Corinthians 1:9 (Amplified Classic) it says that God is faithful (reliable, trustworthy, and therefore ever true to His promise, and he can be depended on.)

Also in 2 Corinthians 1:18 it says that As surely as God is trustworthy and faithful and means what He says (Amplified Classic).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q3. (Psalm 117 and Lamentations 3:22-23). Why are love and trustworthiness so important as the bedrock of the Old Testament faith? What kinds of terms does the New Testament use to talk about these characteristics? Can you think of any New Testament verses that speak of these themes?

The love and trustworthiness of God are so important because they needed to know that God would not abandon them even when they failed and did wrong and didn’t do what they were supposed to do. But also it proves that God doesn’t change from age to age at all. He stays the same.  Charity in I Corinthians 13 is used to describe the kind of love God has for us. Which is the same kind we should have for others. Other scriptures that talk about trustworthiness is 1 Cor 1:9 and 2 Cor 1:18 God is faithful (reliable, trustworthy, and therefore ever true to His promise, and He can be depended on); by Him you were called into companionship and participation with His Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amplified Classic The first verse states that the Lord is faithful, reliable, trustworthy and ever true to His promises. That means what He says He will but in His timing. As surely as God is trustworthy and faithful and means what He says, our speech and message to you have not been Yes [that might mean] No. Amplified Classic The next one states how God is faithful and says what He will do.

After listening to Blessed Be Your Name by the Newsboys and 10,000 Reasons by Matt Redman I wrote this Psalm:

Oh God, I lift you up in praise

Forgive me for worshipping idols

When you deserve all the glory

You deserve all the honor

I will bless you in the morning

I will bless you at night

I bless you for your goodness

I bless for your mercy

I thank and praise you for your faithfulness

Even when I forget to worship

When I forget to be thankful

Your love never ends

I praise you with all I am

And all that I have

I magnify your name

I extol your greatness

You lift me up when I am down

You carry me when I cannot walk

You are always near

Oh God, forever reign!

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

It was His love towards the nation of Israel that brought the children of Israel from their bondage in Egypt, even though the nation had long forgotten their God. It was His love that sustained the nation throughout. In spite of their unfaithfulness time and time again, God proved Himself to be faithful and trustworthy to save them and lead them through. We see the psalmists extolling His love and trustworthiness, we see Moses exhorting the nation of His love and trustworthiness and the prophets too speak of the same. It was His love and trustworthiness that laid the foundation of the relationship between God and the nation of Israel. He is a sure foundation indeed and an unshakable one at that.

The New Testament speaks of love, grace, faithfulness, mercy, redemption. We being translated into His kingdom was made possible because of His great love and amazing grace towards us.

Verses abound in the New Testament, but I am sharing what is coming to my mind right now. We love Him because He first loved us (1 John 4:19). God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life (John 3:16). For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels nor principalities, nor powers nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Love (Romans 8:38-39).

• 4 years later...

I have difficulty truly believing God is loving and faithful … toward me. I can see, however, His love and faithfulness to the Israelites/Jews – their apostacy and restoration cycle was endless because God kept reaching out and pulling them back toward Him. What I am struggling to do is believe that he loves me too. The Spirit needs to drill these two sentences into my mind as I cannot truly believe them on my own:

-- God loves me.

-- I can trust Him

The terms used in the NT are the same as those in the OT. Note that it is GOD’s love for us and OUR trust in Him. 

Great is His love toward us. His faithfulness (toward us) never ends.

Praise the Lord.

• 4 weeks later...

Q3. (Psalm 117 and Lamentations 3:22-23).
Why are love and trustworthiness so important as the bedrock of the Old Testament faith?

• The men and women of Old Testament faith were firsthand witness of God's love at the Red Sea, Jordan River, the lion's den and so much more. God's delivering hand for them increased their faith in God that He is trustworthy always in the valley or on the mountain.

What kinds of terms does the New Testament use to talk about these characteristics?

• faithful, compassionate, loving, gracious.

Can you think of any New Testament verses that speak of these themes?

• 1 Corinthians 1:9 God is faithful../  Psalms 25 8:15 Good and upright is the Lord/ Psalm 36:5 'Your faithfulness O Lord reaches to the skies