JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q3. (Psalm 51:10-12) How is it possible to have a "pure heart" after great sin? What does a "pure heart" consist of? What is the relationship between a "pure heart" (Psalm 51:10) and a "united" or "undivided heart" (Psalm 86:11)? Who purifies the heart? What is the process?

A pure heart is only possible if we make a clean break from sin , if we deeply desire to be clean, renounce any idol. The other part is to receive the forgiveness through the blood of Christ. Making our confession to another Christian is Biblical, James 5 for a real healing to take place. Meditation on the power of Christ's blood over our sin, taking communion. In some church traditions being washed with "holy water" can be very effective, particularly if demonic oppression is involved. Ultimately it is God we have sinned against and He has to give us His absolution through the Blood of the Covenant.

An undivided heart is one which is totally devoted to God and no longer turned towards an "idol".

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to the Adam Clarke Commentary on the Bible it says this on Psalm 51 verse 10-12 Mending will not avail; my heart is altogether corrupted; it must be new made, made as it was in the beginning. (Clarke, A. 2105) This means that David is looking for purity of heart from his sin. It means that He wants to be free from his sin and closer to God. According to the Adam Clarke Commentary on The Whole Bible it states this: ruach nachon, a constant determined spirit;  called Psalm 51:12 ruach nedibah a noble spirit. A free, generous, princely spirit; cheerfully giving up itself to thee; no longer bound and degraded by the sinfulness of sin. (Clarke, A 2015) What this means is that we need to be willing to confess our sins and learn that sin causes a breach between us and God because our heart is unclean and not pure. Continuing on with the theologian Adam Clarke says in His Commentary about this Psalm. He is asking God not to be banish him from the House of the Lord and its ordinances. He also says I know I have sufficiently grieved it to justify its departure forever, in consequence of which I should be consigned to the blackness of darkness, - either to utter despair or to a hard heart and a seared conscience; and so work iniquity with greediness, till I fell into a pit of perdition. While the Spirit stays, painfully convincing of sin, righteousness and judgment, there is hope of salvation; when it departs, then the hope of redemption is gone. But while there is any godly sorrow, any feeling of regret for sinning against God any desire to seek mercy, then the case is not hopeless; for these things prove that the light of the Spirit is not withdrawn. (Clarke, A. 2015) This shows that God was disappointed in David for His grave sins that he committed and was very serious about them and what he wanted David to do to seek forgiveness. In verse 12 it goes on to say that it is an awful prayer because he lost the joy of his salvation and he lost it by sin. That is how most of us lose it. A pure heart consists of one free of sin and one that is not marred by divided attentions as well. In Psalm 86:11 it says this join all the purposes, resolutions and affections of my heart together, to fear and to glorify thy name. This is an important prayer. A divided heart is a great curse; scattered affections are a plague. When the heart is not at unity with itself; the work of religion cannot go on. (Clarke, A 2015) What this means is that the heart must be fully pure and also undivided as well in order to be used by God.

Q3. (Psalm 51:10-12) How is it possible to have a "pure heart" after great sin? What does a "pure heart" consist of? What is the relationship between a "pure heart" (Psalm 51:10) and a "united" or "undivided heart" (Psalm 86:11)? Who purifies the heart? What is the process?

It is possible when you are truly sorry and repentant for what you did. When you ask God to forgive you and pardon you. Then He will grant you forgiveness and cleanse you and make you new again.

A pure heart consists of someone who acknowledges that he or she has sinned against God and others. A person who is sorry not only for what they have done but for the harm it has caused others and how it has created a rift between he or she and God. The person with a pure heart is ready to confess their sins and make things right.

The relationship between a pure heart and an undivided heart is that of loyalty and devotion. Believers who have a pure and undivided heart depend and trust in God to carry them through. They do not waver or go back on what they said they were going to do. People with pure and undivided hearts have only one focus and that is God. All their love and devotion are centered on Him. They are single minded and stay on one track. They do not go off in all different directions or waffle in their decisions. People with pure hearts focus their attention on God and what He wants or requires. Their minds do not wander all over the place but stay in one place. People with pure and undivided hearts pour all their hearts out before God and long to be men and women who after God’s own heart. They have lost all desire for living for self and long to promote or give God glory instead.

It is God working in the believer who purifies the heart with the help of the Holy Spirit. For people cannot do it on their own. They need God’s Word inside of them to show them the way and they need the Holy Spirit to nudge them and point them in the right direction.

First people must admit or confess that they have sinned. They must be willing to ask God for forgiveness. They must be willing to set aside their pride and stubbornness and let God take over. They must be willing to admit that they cannot do it on their own; that they need Him. They must totally forsake their old ways and come to Him. Like David they must be broken and come to the place where they know they need help. Then like David they must ask God to show them mercy and compassion. They must come to the place where they stop making excuses and admit they are to blame; only then can God begin to work in them and cleanse them or wash away their sins. Only then can he grant them forgiveness and peace and joy again. Then with the help of the Holy Spirit they can start over and live for God instead. They can choose to read, pray and meditate on His Word and truly become people with undivided or pure hearts.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

God is able to blot out our sin when we confess them because of the finished work of Christ on the cross. So even though Jesus had not died at the time when David sinned, He was the Lamb that was slain before the foundation of the world. His sin was rolled over to the cross and thus it is possible for God to create a pure heart in David.

A pure heart is a willing heart to obey God and fulfill His commands. It is a heart devoted to God and steadfast upon Him.

A pure heart is steadfast on the purposes and the will of God. So is an undivided or a united heart. A divided heart is one that has varying interests and divided attentions. Whereas an undivided heart is united in its single minded devotion to be waiting on the Lord, to know what He requires of us. It is a heart that is completely surrendered to God alone.

God alone can purify the heart. David couldn’t create a clean heart himself for we don’t have the power to change our hearts which is required to create purity in it. But we can change our minds and if I change my mind God will change my heart. But He won’t change my heart until I change my mind. This requires repentance on my part, confession of my sins and seeking His forgiveness.

• 4 years later...

What we experience and feel on earth isn't mirrored with what goes on in heaven. In heaven, our sins are forgiven and the opportunity for a pure heart is ours again. On earth, a "pure" heart is elusive --  to ask for a "pure heart" is like asking for something that is yet, but not yet ...

It is quite true that God forgives my sins, that they are blotted out of the book of life and as far from me as the east is from the west. That's the heavenly perspective. Here on earth, however, I have to deal with the consequences of Forgiven sin. Since the consequences of sin linger, a pure mind is impossible. The mind is troubled by the memory of sin. Impure, that is.

I'm not sure any Christian can have a pure heart this side of heaven. We can have a heart that is being purified by Jesus, the process of sanctification, but because we have sinned and suffered the consequences of our sins, the innocence and purity that could have been ours has been destroyed. We are forgiven, but not pure.

I know this isn't the answer Pastor Ralph wants to read.  

"How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!" (Hebrews 9:14)

This verse is not in the past tense. The Spirit has not cleansed our consciences (a completed act) is in the process of, cleansing our consciences. He's cleansing us now. Such cleansing won't be complete until we're dead. Thankfully, we can serve God with  partly cleansed conscience. Though our sins are totally forgiven, we are damaged and chastised by the consequences of forgiven sin which cause our consciences to suffer.