JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Giving to the Poor

On 12/19/2007 at 10:33 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q2. (Matthew 5:42 and 6:1-4) How does Jesus' teaching here and in 5:42 on giving to the needy influence you and your attitudes towards the poor? What will you do differently as a result? What keeps us from giving more to the poor? Is that a good enough reason?

To give generously.

To never turn away someone in need.

Trying to hold on to tightly, no it is not a good reason, there is no good reason.

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does Jesus' teaching here on giving to the needy influence you and your attitudes towards the poor?

It encourages one to continue giving.

What will you do differently as a result?

Try not to doubt the one asking/begging. Not judge.

What keeps us from giving more to the poor?

I think ones hesitancy is because there are those who abuse the gift and use it for alcohol and drugs. It is almost wiser to give food. Even there one has seen the food accepted and dumped in the nearest bin, as that was not what was wished for.   Sometimes one does feel it is better to give to a charity organization .... but often the real needy are too proud/scared to go there. .... 

One time I know we were asked not to give anything to street children as they were being encouraged to go to a shelter. 

Is that a good enough reason?

I guess we need to be wise in the where and the how of giving. Be sensitive and obedient to the prompting of the Holy Spirit.

I just read the answer from "AngelOnLine" - What they do with it is not our problem, let God take care of it.