JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Faith and Justification

Jesus gave His life to make us righteous before God where we are no longer guilty and can walk with peace and confidence of being accepted as a child of God (assurance of salvation).  We are made right by our faith in Jesus; we are justified and reconciled with God and we enter into the relationship of grace (undeserved favor and kindness).  With justification, we entrust our self to God (faith) and enjoy safety.  Abraham was justified by his faith in that he had the expectation that God would keep His promises - he walked by faith and was declared righteous.  We can come to God (boldly approach the throne of grace) because of what Christ has done.  Justification and faith is still the answer for people today to have peace with God and not by obeying the law.  We have entered the new era of being in God's presence and seeking His purpose for our lives.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We need to first have faith before we can be justified by God. The scripture says Abraham believed God and because of his faith, God accepted him as righteous. We, too, become righteous when we believe and accept God as our Father - then we trust and rely on God and through that we are justified. 

• 4 months later...

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, what does it mean to be justified?

It is faith that activates justification. So, since Abraham believed in and trusted in God, God absolved him from the eternal penalties he may have previously brought against himself. Justified means I can go to sleep at night, even knowing I may not awake in the morning that I have nothing what-so-ever to worry about when awakened for the resurrection. I have had run ins with the law years ago and I know the uneasiness that goes along with wondering what a magistrate is going to levy against me, but to hear the words “you are accused of no wrong doing what so ever” is like having a boulder lifted from the conscience. Knowing of the things I struggle with and used to worry about I feel like I’m 40 years younger with helium filled shoes, in fact the joy which has overtaken me sometimes keeps my awake as I’m so lost for words on how to begin thanking God although a plain, heartfelt thank you does the job but the great-fullness is overwhelming.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I memorized this verse when I was 12 and it's in front of my prayer journal. 

Romans 5:1-2 Amplified Bible (AMP)

Results of Justification

Therefore, since we have been justified [that is, acquitted of sin, declared blameless before God] by faith, [let us grasp the fact that] we have peace with God [and the joy of reconciliation with Him] through our Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed). Through Him we also have access by faith into this [remarkable state of] grace in which we [firmly and safely and securely] stand. Let us rejoice in our [a]hope and the confident assurance of [experiencing and enjoying] the glory of [our great] God [the manifestation of His excellence and power].

Footnotes:

1. Romans 5:2 In the NT the word “hope” expresses a cherished desire along with the confident assurance of obtaining that which is longed for.
Amplified Bible (AMP)

Copyright © 2015 by The Lockman Foundation, La Habra, CA 90631. All rights reserved.

• 5 months later...
On 8/15/2008 at 8:01 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified?

It was Abraham’s faith not his circumcision or obedience to the law that is credited for his justification. A key to understanding that nothing has changed in this regard, it isn’t as if God changed how things were to be, rather they are confirmed through the work of Christ. Again this helps me to see God is consistent, never changing.

praise God this also true for us, otherwise I am doomed to fail since I can never be good enough!

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Abraham believed in what God said and it was accounted to him for righteousness. He trusted that God would come through on His promise to Him. 

For us we have to believe in what Jesus did on the cross for us; that he was crucified, died and rose again. That because of what He has done; we are justified and are righteous in the sight of God. 

It means to have our sins totally wiped away and paid for by what Jesus has done for us. It means that we take on the righteousness of Jesus.

• 1 month later...

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified?

For Abraham it was accounted to him for righteous because he found the pearl of great price which was faith in the Lord. Without faith we cannot be justified by God through righteousness by faith through Jesus Christ because without faith it is impossible to please God and also find Him. To be justified means we are no longer enemies of the Lord but friends of His and also His bondservants and He is our peace.

• 3 months later...

The means to being right with God has always been the same - through faith and by grace. Abraham, like myself, were once far off, enemies of God, but by trusting completely in who God is and the provision for our sin through the sacrificial death of His Son, we are made righteous before God. 

I have always loved the analogy of the courtroom, where I am guilty before a holy God, rightly given the death sentence. But Jesus steps forward and declares, “I’ll take her place, I’ll die in her stead, take my sacrifice and free her of sin’s penalty.”  The Judge then pronounces me, “not guilty”  and receives me now, a ransomed sinner, made a child of God by the blood of His Son. 

• 2 weeks later...

Q1. (Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? For Abraham, him believing whatever the Lord told him without doubting Him, he was justified, he was found to have no blame for anything. he was acquitted. 

For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification? when you trust /have faith in this context, you receive the acquittal for anything concerning that issue. 

In your own words, what does it mean to be justified? to be justified, is to be freed from any blame

• 2 months later...

(Romans 5:1-2) According to verses 1-2, faith is a key to salvation. For Abraham (4:3), what was the relationship between faith and justification? (being made righteous) 

Abraham believed God  and it was accounted to him as righteous. 

He trusted God implicitly. 

For us (5:1-2), what is the relationship between faith and justification?

Believing something and thus declaring it to be so. 

In your own words, just what does it mean to be justified?

I am guilty before God and a punishment for that has been metered out. (death) YESHUA my Saviour and Redeemer has taken that punishment on Himself and I have been declared free.  I have been justified (made righteous) by believing that Christ has done just that (paid for my evil). 

Thank You my YESHUA, my REDEEMER, my JUSTIFIER, my SAVIOR 

• 2 years later...
On 8/15/2008 at 7:01 PM, Pastor Ralph said:

Q1. Abraham BELIEVED God!

Q2. The relationship between faith and, justification is grace.

To be justified is to be made right with God, it is because of what Jesus did for us on the cross by the shedding of his blood, He took our sins and washed them away!

• 2 months later...

Abraham, who had only experiential knowledge of God, found what he understood to be enough to trust God to lead him from his home to a new land. This is faith in action. He believed what he experienced and moved forward on this basis.

We have the Bible and thousands of years of Christian history to guide us, therefore the experiential aspect of our faith is not our only guide. This doesn’t mean we should not expect God to make Himself known to us in a personal way, but that this personal knowledge is no longer the starting point of faith, but something that grows as we mature in Him.

To be justified is to stand before a judge and hear that judge pronounce me NOT GUILTY. God has done this with my sins. God is the judge. Because of Jesus’ death on the cross, God judges me as not guilty. My faith in the validity and efficaciousness of Jesus’ death is what justifies me. My faith + His act on the cross = God’s clemency.