JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q6. The Assurance of the Spirit's Presence

Q6. (Romans 8:15-16) How does the Holy Spirit inspire us to pray "Abba, Father"? What is the significance of us referring to God as our Dad? What happens in our lives if we don't have some kind of personal assurance of our salvation? How do we receive this kind of personal assurance?

Because it is the very Spirit of God who is communicating with your spirit. You are talking to the highest of the highs who has claimed you as one of His children.

If we don’t have that assurance, it is time to seek God in a determined way. He is easy to find if you are earnestly looking for Him. It is through faith we receive that assurance just like salvation itself is found through faith in God and what He sent His Son to do and what His Son did (for us).

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q6. (Romans 8:15-16) How does the Holy Spirit inspire us to pray 'Abba, Father'? What is the significance of us referring to God as our Dad? What happens in our lives if we don't have some kind of personal assurance of our salvation? How do we receive this kind of personal assurance?

The Holy Spirit residing in us is the very one who tells us that God is our Heavenly Father and we are able to call him Daddy. The significance of this is that He is our Creator. We start doubting our salvation and wondering if we are really saved. Through being sealed by the Spirit.

• 4 months later...

Q6. (Romans 8:15-16) How does the Holy Spirit inspire us to pray 'Abba, Father'? What is the significance of us referring to God as our Dad?

When we come to Christ for salvation, the Holy Spirit comes to dwell within us. He reveals to us the person of Christ, God’s compassionate love for us, and our adoption as beloved children. He confirms with our spirit that we are related to God now, not as enemies, but as beloved children. As a child in my earthly family, home was a place where I felt safe, loved, accepted, protected and cared for. My father’s arms were both strong and gentle and his countenance welcomed me to come near. Addressing God as “Abba, Father” expresses significantly this new relationship I have through Christ, one of intimate belonging, love and security.

What happens in our lives if we don't have some kind of personal assurance of our salvation? How do we receive this kind of personal assurance?

There’s no rest or ease in a relationship where I’m always wondering, “how does this person feel about me?” and “where do I stand?”. Personal assurance of my salvation allows me to fully enjoy God’s presence and friendship. I understand there’s nothing I can do to have Him love me more or less. Even in discipline, I know I am loved. If we are truly saved, we have been sealed with the Holy Spirit and are assured we belong to Him. Our sense of assurance may falter at times, but I must rely on His unchanging promises and character, and ultimately the cross that settled my debt. As I grow in knowledge and understanding of God’s covenant love for me and my life exhibits love and obedience to Him, I am assured of my adoption.

• 1 month later...

(Romans 8:15-16) How does the Holy Spirit inspire us to pray "Abba, Father"?

The Spirit we have received is One that produces sonship. So we can call out Abba, Father.

The Spirit bears witness to the fact that we are children of God; it provides supporting evidence by testifying to this fact. There is no need to be in bondage to fear anymore. 

What is the significance of us referring to God as our Dad?

A Dad is one who protects, one who cares, one who loves, one with whom I can have a close relationship. GOD IS all that and more. 

What happens in our lives if we don't have some kind of personal assurance of our salvation?

We doubt and fear takes over. 

How do we receive this kind of personal assurance?
We can receive this assurace by reading God's Word, by prayer, by close fellowship with God. 

Walking with and talking to HIM

• 2 years later...

I just finished reading a bio of Martin Luther. Luther, in his early life as a monk, was plagued by doubt as to whether God had forgiven every sin he had committed. He spent hours recalling sins ... never sure he had them all!

In the Anglican liturgy, before the communion, we confess sins "known and unknown." Many of our sins are unknown ... a sobering thought! Now, Luther arrived at the point where he could claim that grace, God's unmerited love and regard for him, covered his unknown and unrecalled sins. He had nothing to worry about. Jesus' death on the cross covered all his sins.

Until Luther arrived at this point, his salvation felt insecure to him. He had to believe that Christ's death covered all sins, known and unknown, before he could rest in God's grace. Grace gave him the "right" to call God "abba." To regard God as benevolent. To approach God fearlessly.

---

We all have to get to our own "grace moment" many times in life. It's not a one-time deal. We need to be reminded that our approach to a paternal God is unlimited, not because we're good or good enough, but because of grace.