JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q4. Love Casts Out Fear

4a)An unbeliever fears  God’s judgement because does not have sure hope for their future& may put off thinking about their actions&existence of hell, unaware of their eternal fate.Those who profess faith in Jesus have no need to fear God as through Christ,he has taken our sins on himself we are redeemed and forgiven.

b)Fear of eternal punishment in us is extinguished by believing in Christ and his sacrifice for us&us gradually maturing realising the depths of his love for us,Us experiencing God’s love in us.When we love others out of our respect,honour&obedience to God &His word,His power,Christ’s love is being made perfect,gradually maturing in us.Our fear of judgement is overcome with the power of his love for us,and His grace shown to us.

c)In Christ we should look forward to Jesus return with the hope,in confidence on judgment day,that Jesus has provided the way through to our Father for eternity with Him. 

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fear that is referred to is respect.  We respect our Heavenly Father. We love and fear our Heavenly Father and look forward to life eternal with Him. Because he loves us and we respect Him and love him the fear of the unknown is gone.  I am waiting with great anticipation to future judgment.  All pain is gone, and the God I have read and preached and lived for will soon be a reality!

• 6 months later...

Our fear toward God should be similar to that of our fear of our earthly father : one of respect and awe. We have no need to be "afraid" of God, just be supremely reverent of Him. A lack of reverence, in my opinion, shows a lack of true faith. We really need not fear anyone or anything, even though we all do. However, God's love in us allows us to be confident about Jesus' return, and our hope for eternity.

• 1 year later...

What kind of fear should we have towards God? What kind of fear is extinguished by his love perfected in us? What kind of attitude should we have towards future judgment?

We should always have a healthy fear, respect and sense of reverence toward the almighty God.   We should not have terror.   We should anticipate Jesus' return and the judgement with the healthy fear - wanting to be ready - but not with terror, for we are protected by the blood and sacrifice of Jesus.

What kind of fear should we have towards God? What kind of fear is extinguished by his love perfected in us? What kind of attitude should we have towards future judgment?

We should always have a healthy fear, respect and sense of reverence toward the almighty God.   We should not have terror.   We should anticipate Jesus' return and the judgement with the healthy fear - wanting to be ready - but not with terror, for we are protected by the blood and sacrifice of Jesus.

• 9 months later...

What kind of fear should we have towards God?

The fear we have towards God is a version of the Greek word meaning reverence, honor, or to be in awe of Him

What kind of fear is extinguished by his love perfected in us?

The type of fear talked about here is a fear of punishment, or something to be dreaded.

What kind of attitude should we have towards future judgment?

We should not be afraid of the judgement but should actually look forward to it. Jesus said He brings His rewards with Him. If we are in Him and He in us we have nothing to worry about but quite the opposite when Jesus comes to gather His people together.

• 1 year later...

Q4. (1 John 4:11-18) 
What kind of fear should we have towards God? 
What kind of fear is extinguished by His love perfected in us? 
What kind of attitude should we have towards future judgment?

The only fear we should have towards God is one of reverence. This is because we have experienced God’s love, and it is His perfect love that expels any fears we might have had. I am assured of the Lord's love first of all, because He sent His Son to die for me. Secondly, I know He loves me because He indwells me at the present moment. Thirdly, I can look to the future with confidence and without fear. If there is any anguish in us about our future judgment then we have not been made perfect in love, and God’s love has not been allowed to take control of our lives. It is when we come to Him in repentance and receive the forgiveness of sins that all fear is driven out and we have complete peace and confidence in the future. 

• 1 month later...

Q4. (1 John 4:11-18)

Q. What kind of fear should we have towards God?

A. Reverence fear

Q. What kind of fear is extinguished by his love perfected in us?

A. Fear of of being punished as a result of sin

Q. What kind of attitude should we have towards future judgment?

A. Anticipation of the Lord Jesus Christ return as our legal solicitor who will represent us at judgment and plead our case of innocence as He has paid for our sin

• 3 years later...

Q4. (1 John 4:11-18) What kind of fear should we have towards God? What kind of fear is extinguished by his love perfected in us? What kind of attitude should we have towards future judgment?

Our fear towards God should be the fear of respect, amazement, and awe. When you admire and love somebody you can only have this kind of fear, not fear of dread.

The fear of condemnation, punishment, and wrath are extinguished by His love perfected in us. He bring peace, comfort. and confidence in our hearts when we have a loving relationship with Him. This is achieved by accepting Jesus Christ as your " rescuer" and being drawn to God through Him, and having the Comforter , Holy Spirit within us.

We should have an attitude of living our lives according to how we are told to and expected to as Christians, and walk in the light , having the knowledge we are saved by grace, praise Jesus for this .

• 2 months later...

I'm not convinced that the fear we have of God is reverence and awe, though that is part of it. God can do what He wills to do, and that may be fear inducing. When He willed to send the Israelites into slavery, they were full of fear -- many died. When He appeared to Paul in the NT, Paul was blinded -- he must have been afraid. Our fear is due to the difference between our nature and His. We cannot comprehend love as God loves. We see cruelty or even capriciousness -- some seem to die (all the apostles except John) and one lives (John). Why? We don't know, so we fear what God chooses, for whatever He wills comes to fruition.  We see only through darkened glass. Imperfectly. Without clarity. And what we cannot understand terrifies us.

So the fear we have toward God isn't tempered by love, but by the knowledge that we're impotent in His hands, that what He wills happens, and we cannot understand the mind of God. I think of God like a hurricane that both destroys and recreates in its aftermath. It's like being caught up into something bigger than my comprehension.

Perfect love may cast out fear, but fear is also the beginning of wisdom.

Fear is good, then. It is never extinguished, which is a good thing.  It's being humbled by ignorance and smallness, being Job-like in the tempest He causes in our lives. A fearless person is not a deep Christian but an egoist before Him.

We know that His judgment of us is positive because of Christ. There's a security in the after life that doesn't exist in this life. God will judge us well. After death. But in life, in our daily existence, we may be tortured and killed and rightfully fear such.

"Whom shall I fear?"

God Himself.

--

"Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God."  I Peter.

• 6 months later...

(1 John 4:11-18) What kind of fear should we have towards God?

The type of fear that is defined as: "reverence, respect, awe in the presence of God.”  Not that we are afraid of God, but we want to remain in awe (the presence of) God’s love.

What kind of fear is extinguished by his love perfected in us?  

The fear that is defined as “afraid.”  Afraid that we will miss out on eternal life, afraid of losing a place in God’s kingdom, and afraid of spending eternity in the lake of fire.

What kind of attitude should we have towards future judgment?  Once loved by God, we are loved forever (unless we take some type of action to renounce God). We longingly await the return of Christ and our trip to our forever “home.”