New / Special
Way of the Cross
St. Patrick's Day
New Year's Day
Steps to Peace with God
Year of St. Paul
Dr. Wilson's Books
Christian Articles Archive
Common Participants at the Tableby Dr. Ralph F. Wilson
Jaume Serra, "The Last Supper" (1370-1400), Tempera on wood, Museo Nazionale, Palermo Larger image.
"Is not the cup of thanksgiving for which we give thanks a participation in the blood of Christ? And is not the bread that we break a participation in the body of Christ? Because there is one loaf, we, who are many, are one body, for we all partake of the one loaf. Consider the people of Israel: Do not those who eat the sacrifices participate in the altar?" (1 Corinthians 10:16-18, NIV)
One word stands out because it is repeated again and again — the Greek word koinonia, "participation" (NIV) also translated as "communion" (KJV) or "sharing" (NRSV). It means sharing something in common with others, common participation in something with other people.
Now available as a modestly-priced e-book and printed book. Why don't you purchase a copy today. Learn more.
- We participate in the body and blood of Jesus, sacrificed for our sins. When we partake we confirm again their saving power on our behalf.
- We participate, in a sense, in the altar of sacrifice. The Jewish priests sacrificed upon an altar in the temple. But the "altar" upon which the Lamb of God was slain is the cross. By eating the elements of the Lord's supper we participate, in a sense, in the cross itself. We affirm that we are crucified with Christ.
The Lord's Supper is a remembrance. It is also a participation with Christ himself and with all others who follow him.
Note: The root word of koinonia, "participation, sharing" is koine, which means common in contrast to private or sacred — common ground, common pastureland, communal property, a couple's community property. When it refers to people it means "participants, fellows." The idea is that which is shared in common with others. (Friedrich Hauck, "koinonos, ktl.," TDNT 3:789-809)
Copyright © 1985-2014, Ralph F. Wilson. <pastorjoyfulheart.com> All rights reserved. A single copy of this article is free. Do not put this on a website. See legal, copyright, and reprint information.
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 2 Corinthians
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- Lamb of God
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ