New / Special
Way of the Cross
St. Patrick's Day
New Year's Day
Steps to Peace with God
Year of St. Paul
Dr. Wilson's Books
Christian Articles Archive
Here you'll find lots of Easter materials.
Easter Short Stories
"Michael Archangel, Reporting," Joyful Heart, April 8, 2020. A monologue by the Archangel Michael, reporting on the events of Holy Week from the perspective of the Head of Security for the Kingdom.
"Peter and the Resurrection," Joyful Heart, April 3, 2012. Peter's whipsaw experience of both the crucifixion and the resurrection.
"The Thief on the Other Cross: A Monologue," The Joyful Heart, April 2, 2007. How could the penitent thief on the cross have so much faith? This short story considers one option.
"Easter Morning after the Storm, a story of Mary Magdalene," The Joyful Heart, February 10, 2007. A retelling of the resurrection story from Mary Magdalene's perspective.
"Eyewitness to Palm Sunday," The Joyful Heart, March 20, 2005. Tells the story of the Triumphal Entry on Palm Sunday from the viewpoint of a boy whose donkey or ass Jesus borrowed to ride on as Messiah and King into Jerusalem."Malchus, the Slave Whose Ear Was Cut Off," a Good Friday story that probes the life of the high priest's servant, whose ear was cut off in the Garden — and healed by Jesus.
"Feed My Sheep," an Easter story of Jesus appearing to the disciples on the Sea of Galilee following his resurrection. The Joyful Heart, April 8, 2004.
"The Jericho Connection". The Joyful Heart, March 27, 1999. Explains how Jesus is the "Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world."
"Learning Faith from Doubting Thomas," Joyful Heart, April 12, 2003. A short story of St. Thomas's struggle with disbelief, his confession of faith, and his later years as Apostle to India.
"Galilean Teacher Seen Complicit in Own Execution," Joyful Heart, April 14, 2001. Eyewitness reporter describes Jesus' arrest and shocking words.
"I Have Seen the Lord," Purpose, April 3, 1988. An Easter story about Mary Magdalene's life and witness to Jesus' resurrection. A Chinese language version of this article is also available (187K Gif image).
"The Lord Needs It." Musings on the donkey that Jesus chose to ride into Jerusalem on Paul Sunday.
The Day Peter Ran, a short story of Easter based on John 20:1-9. The Joyful Heart, Issue 13, April 6, 1998.
"A Companion Along the Way," Evangel, April 3, 1988, pp. 4-5. A recounting of the Easter story on the road to Emmaus.
"A Soldier's View of the Tomb," The Helping Hand, March-April 1995, pp. 13, 16. Appeared in a Norwegian translation as "En soldats betraktninger om graven," Visjon, Number 3, 1996. The story of the resurrection told through the eyes of the centurion in charge of the crucifixion.
Inspiring Resurrection Articles
A Broken Chrysalis, Standard, April 6, 1986, p. 8. A brief Easter piece comparing a butterfly emerging from its chrysalis to Jesus' resurrection.
The Cosmic Significance of the Cross, Joyful Heart, March 25, 2019. Considers what happened in heavenly places when Christ died on the cross, destroying Satan's work and disarming principalities and powers.
Psalm for Easter Morning, Joyful Heart, April 16, 2017. Meditation of the women discovering the open tomb and Christ's resurrection.
The Bold Intimacy of Gethsemane, Joyful Heart, March 19, 2016. Meditation on why Jesus was so deeply troubled at Gethsemane, and what the cross cost Jesus and the Father.
The Amazing Story -- an Easter Meditation. Joyful Heart, March 13, 2013. Reflections on what Easter is really about.
"What Difference Does Easter Make?" Evangel, April 11, 1993, p. 8. Also in Message of the Open Bible, April 1993, p. 20. Contrasting Mary Magdalene's experience of Easter with the current emphasis on Easter bunnies. Portuguese translation.
"Resurrection? Prove It to Me!" International Pentecostal Holiness Advocate, April 1995, pp. 2-3. The evidence for the resurrection, stated briefly.
"The God-Man," Acorns, April 4, 1993, pp. 1-2. Pondering the paradox: if Jesus is God, how could he die? And if he is man, how could he rise?
"The Parable of the Butterfly," a hint of Jesus' resurrection.
"Is Easter a Pagan Holiday?" A look at the word-derivation and content of Easter.
Lenten Bible Study Books
Meditations and Devotions for Holy WeekWatching Holy Week Unfold, with 160 paintings by James J. Tissot of the Life and Passion of Christ, Good Friday, and the Resurrection.
Stations of the Cross for Protestants and Catholics can be a helpful devotional exercise on Good Friday.
Artwork. Links to some of the best paintings of all time depicting the passion of Jesus Christ.
- Easter, Good Friday, and Holy Week Artwork
- The Passion of Christ Illustrated by James J. Tissot
- Resurrection Artwork
- Palm Sunday Artwork
- Lord's Supper Artwork
|Please bookmark this site so you — and many others — can find it easily.|
Easter Songs and Hymns
Holy Week Bible Expositions
These Bible passages will be a big help to preachers and teachers during the season prior to Easter. These come from studies in the JesusWalk Bible Study Series.
- The Triumphal Entry (19:28-40)
- Weeping Over Jerusalem and Cleansing the Temple (19:41-20:8)
- Judas' Betrayal (21:37-22:1-6)
- The Last Supper (22:7-20)
Chronology of Jesus' Crucifixion
- The Greatest among You Serves (Luke 22:21-30)
- Simon, Strengthen Your Brothers (22:31-34)
- New Provisions for the Future (22:35-38)
- The Garden of Gethsemane (22:39-46)
- Jesus' Arrest (22:47-54a)
- Peter's Denial (22:54-62)
- Before the Sanhedrin (22:63-71)
- Before Pilate and Herod (23:1-25)
- Father, Forgive Them (23:26-38)
- The Thief on the Cross (23:39-43)
- Darkness and Death (23:44-49)
- Burial in Joseph's Tomb (23:50-56)
- The Resurrection (24:1-12)
- Appearance on the Road to Emmaus (24:13-35)
- Jesus Appears to His Disciples (24:36-46)
- Mission and Power (24:47-49)
- Ascension (24:50-53)
- Anointing at Bethany and Triumphal Entry (11:55-12:22)
- Washing the Disciples' Feet, Love One Another (13:1-38)
- Jesus' Prayer for His Disciples (17:1-26)
- Jesus' Arrest and Trial (18:1-19:16)
- Jesus' Death and Burial (19:17-42)
- Jesus Appears to Mary Magdalene (20:1-18)
- As the Father Sent Me, So I Send You (20:19-31)
- Feed My Sheep
Lenten Bible Studies
We're offering several Bible studies to prepare you for Resurrection Day. We recommend you select only one, since they're kind of intensive.
Seven Last Words of Christ from the Cross is a week-long devotional e-mail Bible study that begins any day you like. It will help prepare your heart to appreciate Christ's sacrifice for you. Sign up today.
Resurrection and Easter Faith is a series that looks at resurrection from the dead in the Old Testament prophecy, Jesus' teaching, Jesus' own resurrection, proofs of the resurrection, and the resurrection of believers at the Last Day. Sign up today.
Other Easter Resources
- Readers Theater based on John 20:1-18 (NIV)
- Calculation of the Date of Easter
- Simple Harmony of the Crucifixion Accounts (NIV)
- Stations of the Cross
- A Possible Harmonization of the Resurrection Accounts (after George Eldon Ladd)
- Parallel Accounts of the Resurrection (NIV)
In-depth Bible study books
You can purchase one of Dr. Wilson's complete Bible studies in PDF, Kindle, or paperback format.
- Songs of Ascent (Ps 120-134)
- 1, 2, and 3 John
- 1 Peter
- 2 Peter & Jude
- 1 & 2 Thessalonians
- 1 & 2 Timothy
- 1 Corinthians
- 2 Corinthians
- Apostle Paul
- Abraham, Faith of
- Christ Powered Life (Romans 5-8)
- Christmas Incarnation
- Colossians and Philemon
- Conquering Lamb of Revelation
- David, Life of
- Glorious Kingdom, The
- Great Prayers of the Bible
- Holy Spirit, Disciple's Guide
- Jacob, Life of
- Jesus and the Kingdom of God
- JesusWalk: Beginning the Journey
- John's Gospel
- Lamb of God
- Listening for God's Voice
- Lord's Supper
- Luke's Gospel
- Moses the Reluctant Leader
- Names and Titles of God
- Names and Titles of Jesus
- Rebuild & Renew: Post-Exilic Books
- Resurrection and Easter Faith
- Sermon on the Mount
- Seven Last Words of Christ