JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Dealing with Ephraimite Arrogance

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gideon asks the Ephraimites to help him in the capture and destruction of the remain of the Midianites' troops. The Ephraimites were angry with Gideon because he didn't call them before to join him against the Midianites.

When we learn to humble ourselves and to give the glory to God we will be able to show to others that our merits belong to the Lord, by humbling himself in front of the Ephraimites Gideon was able to calm them and to convince them in helping him in the pursuit of the Midianites.

Question 2

Gideon was asking the Ephraimites to join in and seize the waters of the Jordan ahead of them as far as Beth Barah. In so doing they killed the Midianite leaders Oreb and Zeeb and took their heads to Gideon.

The Ephraimites were initially angry as they strongly felt that they should have been included at the onset of the attack on the Midianite camp. To put it bluntly their noses were put out of joint through Gideon not asking for their help.

I find Gideon's reply to be a good standing for our own spiritual journey with Christ and this reminds us that whatever we do in His name should be for His glory and not our own. As we see in Gideon's case, on the one hand he could have boasted to the Ephraimites about his victory over the Midianites and made them even more angrier. However he chose to minimise his part in the battle and bring praise to the Ephraimites for their own accomplishments with the gleaning of grapes as opposed to the grape harvest of Abiezer. We must always remember that we are not the victor throughout our journey and that we must humble ourselves wholely to our Saviour in all that we do.

:lol: With daylight Gideon knew that his small army could not handle the fleeing Midianites so he asked the Epheaimites to help them. The Epheaimites were very angry because Gideon had not asked them to help in the original attack but this was not according to God's plan. It would not have shown God's power if this large army had been in on the attack and they would probably not have listened to Gideon and his plan anyway. Gideon demonstrated to me that it is not important who gets the glory as long as the plan is successful. He did not demand the credit for the victory because he knew God was the victor and not man. He put the continuing blessing of God ahead of the momentary glory he deserved for the great victory.

I just read a commentary from the Life Applications Study Bible I have to share as it is so applicable to this topic. "Engineers and millionaires may design and finance an elegant bulding, but it is the brigklayers who get the work done. Pride causes us to want recognition. Are you content to be God's bricklayer of do you resent the work God has given you!" (Life Application Study Bible; Tyndale House Publishers, Wheaton, Ill. Copyright 1988). I must congess after all of my years as an active Christian pride still tries to creep in to the things I do as unto the Lord.

+ Gideon need the Ephraimites to prevent the Midianites from crossing the Jordon River and escaping. Obviously the Jordon played a part in what was yet to come.

+ The anger of the Ephraim army led to the death of two Midianite leaders. Their anger seems to be that they were not part of the original group to attack the Midianite camp. :angry:

+ Gideon reassures the leaders that God was with them, Gideon's wisdom saves the day by downplaying his part in the plan. :mellow:

Gideon ask the Ephraimites to seize the waters of the Jordan ahead of them as far as Beth-Barah. In which they did.

They were angry because Gideon didn't call for their assistance earlier.

I learn a lot from Gideon's approach to the Ephramites' arrogance. Gideon could have has a bragging party, but he was gracious. He didn't get angry because the Ephraimites were angry. Instead of focusing on his acheivement. he turn the focus on what the Ephramites had acheived. Gideon knew that it was God who was in conrol and not he alone who defeated the Midanites. All the praise, honor and glory to God almighty.......

I didn't see the importance of this question until I read some of the other replies. Isn't it amazing how ever verse is there for a reason? Of course it is a lesson in humbleness and also a reminder that we are to lift others up even when they are acting kind of low. I guess they were jealous of Gideon's accomplishments...instead of being grateful, they chose to criticize him. Gideon showed great wisdom and restraint by comending them ....and he also got their cooperation.

blondesmiley.gifGideon asked the Ephraimites to capture the watering places from the Midianites. The Ephraimites complied, but were angry, feeling they were left out of the more important task...the battle. Gideon assured them the task they completed was even more important than what he accomplished. God shows us through Gideon's example how to assuage hurt feelings and to bring the focus back on Him.

Q2. What does Gideon ask the Ephraimites to do? Why are they so angry? Who do you learn from Gideon's approach to the Ephraimites' arrogance? (7:24-8:3) See exposition

Gideon asked the Ephraimites to come down against the Midianites and seize the waters of the Jordan ahead of them as far as Beth Barah. They also captured two Medianite's leaders Oreb and Zeeb and brought the heads to Gideon after killing them. :angry: The Ephramites became angry with Gideon,they complained loudly.Gideon did not call them earlier because they "grumble"! They are jealous of the spoils of victory.They criticized Gideon sharply. :o

If you approach people in the right way,explaining,you could not accomplish what they did.You had a big part of what was done.Kind of builds up ones self esteem.Allowing them to know they were a great help.

Gideon told them <"God"> gave the Medianite leaders into their hands,and there was nothing he could have done compared to that.So their anger subsided.

We! as christians have to work together.We are Gods army also!We pray to God for each other in our missions and callings from God.We stand by each other and build the church. We are the church and God Is Our Shelter.Blessings to all today. Linda <{{><

>>Gideon asked the Ephraimites to come down against the Midianites and seize the waters of the Jordan ahead of them as far as Beth Barah.

>> They are so angry because Gideon does not inform them earlier of his plan to attack Midianites.

>> I learn humility and calmness from Gideon in dealing the Ephramites. Once a person obey God, his obedience produces love and wisdom and this two will produce humility. If Gideon will react to the Midianites arrogance and anger negatively, it will do no good to both of them.

:rolleyes:

Q2. What does Gideon ask the Ephraimites to do? Why are they so angry? Who do you learn from Gideon's approach to the Ephraimites' arrogance? (7:24-8:3)

Help him to defeat the remaining Midians. The Ephraimites felt cheated being asked to help at the end of the battle and not being able to share in the spoils. Gideon assured the Ephraimites that their contribution was just as great. They captured the generals and separated them from being united with their armies.

In Christ Jesus,

John

#4 Q2. What does Gideon ask the Ephraimites to do?

Basically to mop up the Midianite stragglers.

Why are they so angry?

One of the main reasons for the Ephraimites to be angry may well have been because they envisaged themselves as a more favored tribe with a greater status in the hierarchy of the tribes of Israel. Gideon

Gideon asked the Ephraimites to assist him in pursuing the remnants of the Midianite army to the Jordan River and as far as Beth Barah. The Ephraimites did this and even captured two of the Midianite kings, They were angry that Gideon did not ask them to join in the fight at the beginning of the battle as it deprived them of the spoils of victory. However Gideon mollified them by playing down his own part in the victory and praising their part. We should follow Gideon's humility in this difficult situation: He was fully aware that God should be given the credit for their success and so he did not claim any merit for his part.

Gideon now called on the Ephraims to cut off the midianites to the South for the others

were cutting them off from the north and west, the Emphraimites were angry for they did not understand why they were not told of this before but we know the reason for God wanted the men to be fully aware that the victory was not of them it was of God.

Gideons approach is the approach we all should take one of humbling ourselves.

Fooling the Midianites at night is one thing; pursuing them in the light of day (and they were still 15,000!) it would seem to be harder to defeat them. So, Gideon asks the Ephraimites for help in this job. They are miffed that they weren't asked earlier to the battle. It's pride and arrogance.

Gideon shows tact and diplomacy.

"Pride goeth before the fall". Always. I/we can learn to have humility, to appreciate everyone who contributes, to be gracious in asking for help and to remember to finish the job, even if it means others won't help. If God calls me to do something...and others as well...it matters not if the others refuse, I must be true to God's calling. And that is often very difficult.

Ephraimites were asked to seize the waters to keep the Midianites from escaping. They were upset because they weren't called before this, I believe God told Gideon what to do and who to use for each thing and he did just that as we all should be following Gods directions. Graciousness, humility and I(we) must be true to God whether anyone else is or not.

What does Gideon ask the Ephraimites to do?

Judg 7:24

24 Gideon sent messengers throughout the hill country of Ephraim, saying, "Come down against the Midianites and seize the waters of the Jordan ahead of them as far as Beth Barah."

(from New International Version)

Why are they so angry?

Judg 8:1

8:1 Now the Ephraimites asked Gideon, "Why have you treated us like this? Why didn't you call us when you went to fight Midian?" And they criticized him sharply.

(from New International Version)

I can think of a couple of reasons for their anger. First is pride; I think they were upset that they had not been asked to be a part of the initial attack. Second is they felt left out; to the victors go the spoils.

What do you learn from Gideon's approach to the Ephraimites' arrogance?

Gideon used much wisdom in the way he approached the Ephramites. Gideon built up the Ephramites and what they accomplished while downplaying what his small army did. I also think it is interesting that Gideon did not mention that he was only doing what the Lord commanded and that the Ephramites were not a part of the plan.

The lesson I learned is that in order to counter pride in others, I must be humble and build up the other person. I also believe I need to follow the Lord without making a "big deal" of it. I should give the Lord credit, not take it myself, but in a pride-centered conflict, be gracious and use wisdom when responding.

Gideon asked the Ephraimites to cut off the Midianites at the Jordan River.

They were angry because Gideon did not include them in the original battle with the Midianites; hence, they were precluded from the spoils of victory.

Gideon takes the high road here, instead of engaging them in argument; he humbly compliments them on their achievements including the capture of the Midianite leaders, Oreb and Zeeb. His words depict Ephraimites as the greater and Gideon

Gideon asks the Ephraimites to seize the waters of the Jordon River so the enemy can't escape across.

The Ephraimites are angry at Gideon because he hasn't asked for their help before now.

Gideon refuses to be drawn into an arguement. He compliments them on their capture of two Midianite leaders. By downsizing his own acomplishments, Gideon shows great wisdom and restrant.

2. Gideon asks the Ephraimites to come down against the Midianites and seize the waters of the Jordan ahead of them as far as Beth Barah. They took the waters of the Jordan as far as Beth Barah and captured two of the Midianite leaers Oreb and Zeeb.

Why are they so angry? They wanted to know why Gideon had not called them earlier. They criticized him. Gideon may have been afraid that if they helped that they would try to take over.

Gideon's approach to the Ephraimites arrogance - He asks them a question. "Aren't the gleanings of Ephriam's grapes better than the full grape harvest of Abiezer?" He shows great wisdom and restraint. That is how we as christians should just be calm and don't get mad and act ugly. Act like a christian should. God was in it.

Q2. What does Gideon ask the Ephraimites to do? Why are they so angry? Who do you learn from Gideon's approach to the Ephraimites' arrogance? (7:24-8:3)

To help in the capture of the Midianites - to "take" the waters of the Jordan, so that the Midianites can not cross over.

They are angry because Gideon did not ask they to battle earlier.

Gideons humble response shows wisdom and restraint, when he praises them for capturing the two leaders.

:):lol:

Gideon asks the Ephraimites to cut the Midianites' escape route through the Jordan river. The Ephraimites are angry because Gideon did not include the tribe in his battle against the Midianites.

Gideon handles this by playing down the importance of his accopmlishments, thereby soothing the Epraimites ruffled feathers.

I learned that in conflict, a cooler head will prevail. Instead of acting defensively in certain situations, its best to let the Holy Spirit take over and allow us to respond diplomatically. The alternative is to become angry and cause a major rift. :rolleyes: