JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

20. Foundation

• 6 months later...

1. Con men continue to trick people and take advantage of them. How can you tell them, according to Jesus' teaching?

We judge a tree by the kind and quality of the fruit it bears. Jesus teaches us that in the same way we can judge a person by the kind and quality of the fruit they bear – by their fruits we shall know them. This will tell us what they are on the inside, and this is more important than anything they will ever say. For what a person is in their inner being comes to expression outwardly, especially in words and deeds. We can be sure, the con men may be able for a little while to deceive people, and to hide their real face behind a mask of seemingly pious words and deeds, but this cannot last. “Nothing is more difficult than to counterfeit virtue” (Calvin). The fruit will ultimately show their true character. These con men will water down the truth and only say what you like/want to hear. They claim to speak for God, and therefore, should be tested by the Word of God, for if they do not speak according to the Word, it is because there is no light in them (Isa 8:20). Some of the untruths we will hear are: sin is a sickness – get rid of your guilt-complex; the God of love will not punish anyone eternally; we are not responsible for our own so-called sins – the blame rests on parents/society; Satan is a myth; heaven and hell are myths; things have changed what was considered sin is not that at all – extramarital sex and many other evils; and on and on. We should be on our guard against those who distort the Word of God for their own selfish purpose. Though their speech may be ever so smooth and oily, they constitute a real peril against which believers must arm themselves (Eph 6:10-20). They prey upon the immature, the unstable, and the gullible giving the appearance of being true believers, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves (Matt 7:15). Their licentious lives and destructive teachings betray them. Their greed shows no limits!

2. How does what you say when you're angry indicate what is in your heart?

Anger is an emotion that can bring out the worst in us, always threatening to leap out of control, often leading to violence, emotional hurt, increased mental stress, and spiritual damage. We often says things we don’t mean when we are angry, but Jesus reminds us that what we say actually reveals what is in our heart. A person’s heart acts as a reservoir, or inner storehouse, and a heart filled with goodness will be evidenced by words of grace and righteousness, while a wicked heart expresses itself in blasphemy, bitterness, and abuse. The good man from his good inner storehouse brings out what is good, and the evil man from his evil treasure brings out what is evil. In Luke 6:45, Jesus says that people can be judged by what they say and do because these things reveal what is really inside the person: “A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.” Listening to what comes out of a person’s mouth is a good indication of what is on the inside of a person. If a person is angry, rude, lewd, or immoral on a regular basis, we can be assured that this is what they are like on the inside. In the same way, if a person is consistently kind, encouraging, and polite, then we can be sure that is what they are like on the inside. A person might be able to hide their true character, but eventually what is inside will come out - the mouth speaks out of the abundance - the overflow - of the heart.

3. What areas of your life where you AREN'T following closely has the Holy Spirit been convicting you about?

Jesus is our Lord, our Master, and it means He has complete authority over our lives, that we belong to Him, and that we are obligated to do whatever He says. We cannot merely acknowledge His lordship and don’t do what He says. If we really love Him we will want to obey Him in all things. True love and faith involve obedience - “If you love Me, keep My commandments” (John 14:15). Jesus also said, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbour as yourself” (Matt 22:37-39). We must serve the Lord in humility and not out of duty, but because we love Him (John 14:23). There are two areas in my life where I feel I’m not doing enough out of obedience to Jesus. We are commanded to go and make disciples. It is not an option but a command to all who call Jesus "Lord." We are not all evangelists in the formal sense, but we have all received gifts that we can use to help fulfil the great commission. I haven’t been passionate enough about telling others about Christ. Here there is much more that I can do – even starting with my neighbours. Then there is the command to give to the poor and store up treasures in heaven (Luke 12:33). There is so much poverty and hardships in my country at the moment. A very high unemployment level. Here I’ve been guilty of not giving generously, being more concerned with my having enough to meet my own needs, instead of trusting my Lord.

4. How can you tell if you are a true follower of Jesus? Is being "born again" a good indicator? What does "born again" mean if it doesn't affect a person's lifestyle?

Genuine saving faith always results in a life of progressive godliness. Over the years, through the hard work of the Holy Spirit, and the mercy and grace of my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, I’ve noticed a change in my life. In my new life I have noticed a growing hunger for God’s Word, for practical righteousness, for obedience, for separation from the world, for the love of my fellow believers, and a new hatred of sin.  All only made possible by the work of the Holy Spirit. I believe we should do spiritual check-ups every now and then (2 Cor 13:5), to determine if there a growing awareness of Christ’s presence and power in our lives, and are we becoming more and more like Him. If we're not actively seeking to grow closer to God, we are drawing farther away from Him. Being “born again” is not only a good indicator, it is the way we become a Christian and are admitted into the Kingdom of God.

Jesus Himself said, “no-one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit (John 3:5). Physical birth is not enough. There must also be a spiritual birth if one is to enter the kingdom of God. This spiritual birth is produced by the Holy Spirit of God when a person believes on the Lord Jesus Christ. We become a new creation – old things are passed away; behold all things are become new (2 Cor 5:17). Not our old nature altered, reformed, or re-invigorated, but a new birth from above. We are made partakers of the divine nature (2 Pet. 1:4). We have passed out of death into life (John 5:24). Our lifestyle changes radically and we find the Holy Spirit empowers us with His own goodness.

Thankyou Pastor Ralph for a very challenging and fruit producing study in Luke.  I have not been able to answer questions lately due to hectic schedule and taking care of family,  but I plan to spend next week in Review.  Then next Friday I am going to the Jesus Coffee House here in Spokane and I hope to begin speaking,  sharing,  and testifying!  Please pray that the door is opened to me. What I have been most grateful about this study is how the questions forced me to look at my life and talk about it.  I saw things I didn't realize and that will be used in my testimony I hope to be able to share. Thankyou.  God bless you,  Lisa Daley

Whatever is stored in your heart will overflow into your speech. For a while you might call a bluff but it won't take long before there is a slipup and that what is inside will come out or overflow into words. 

3. What areas of your life where you AREN'T following closely has the Holy Spirit been convicting you about?

Being calm at all times and letting God sort out when someone tries to manipulate the way you are caring for someone placed in your care. Trying to keep them safe and not go into areas that are not safe to be in because of the Pandemic currently around. Knowing the person does not follow protocol and therefore trying to keep them in a safe environment. I need to stay calm about this and find it very difficult. 

4. How can you tell if you are a true follower of Jesus? Is being "born again" a good indicator? What does "born again" mean if it doesn't affect a person's lifestyle?

By practicing (doing) what He says to do. My lifestyle must follow His teaching. In John 3 we read of Nicodemus' encounter with Jesus. Jesus says clearly unless a man is born again (born from above, born anew) he cannot ever see / experience the kingdom of God. Again Jesus says unless a man is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 

It must affect your lifestyle because the inside gets cleaned out to make space for the new nature. 

• 3 weeks later...

1.    Con men continue to trick people and take advantage of them. How can you tell them, according to Jesus' teaching?

By their words and action because out of the abundance from their hearts will lead them to say or do things that show their real evil identity or motives

2.    How does what you say when you're angry indicate what is in your heart?

Anyone that pours out venom has stored up venom in his heart just as a person with seasoned words has stored up seasoned Word of God in him. 

3.    What areas of your life where you AREN'T following closely has the Holy Spirit been convicting you about?

Looking back, God has graciously been transforming me significantly. But I am not fully there. I still wrestle with hard rebuke or treatment of others and pray that the Good Lord God Almighty will deliver and polish me thoroughly.

4.    How can you tell if you are a true follower of Jesus? []

By the degree of total obedience and compliance to His Word. I am not 100% compliant. So help me Lord to totally comply.

Is being "born again" a good indicator?

Being 'born' again should be a good indicator of a transformed life. But there are so many out there who do not  really follow the Lord as seen by their bad actions 

What does "born again" mean if it doesn't affect a person's lifestyle? Nothing!!!

• 1 month later...

Con men continue to trick people and take advantage of them. How can you tell them, according to Jesus' teaching?

A. You can tell a con man by what he is saying. He is trying to sell you his idea and talk you out of your money.

How does what you say when you're angry indicate what is in your heart?

A. It seems like when you are angry you are letting everything that has been bugging you get out into the atmosphere.

What areas of your life where you AREN'T following closely has the Holy Spirit been convicting you about?

A. I have found that I have been wanting to know more about God and only the Holy Spirit can convict me about that.

How can you tell if you are a true follower of Jesus? Is being "born again" a good indicator? What does "born again" mean if it doesn't affect a person's lifestyle?

A. Being “born again” means that you have thrown off the old and put on Jesus. So you being “born again” is a good indicator. Being “born again” does affect a person’s lifestyle because they have thrown the old lifestyle away and began a new one.

On 3/19/2021 at 10:06 PM, Lisa Daley said:

Thankyou Pastor Ralph for a very challenging and fruit producing study in Luke.  I have not been able to answer questions lately due to hectic schedule and taking care of family,  but I plan to spend next week in Review.  Then next Friday I am going to the Jesus Coffee House here in Spokane and I hope to begin speaking,  sharing,  and testifying!  Please pray that the door is opened to me. What I have been most grateful about this study is how the questions forced me to look at my life and talk about it.  I saw things I didn't realize and that will be used in my testimony I hope to be able to share. Thankyou.  God bless you,  Lisa Daley

Praying for courage and for the Holy Spirit to give you the words to share your testimony!  This Bible study is bearing good fruit in your life!

Bailey Greetings, 5/28/21   1. Con men continue to trick people and take advantage of them.  How can you tell them, according to Jesus' teaching?  Today most con men come via the phone with all sorts of tactics now of days.  The new one is social security-related fraud, identity theft,  I think Jesus wants us to be alert and let the holy spirit guide us, because the con man quotes scripture very well and sometimes knows it better than you.  The bible says be not deceived,  the corruption that is in a person can't help but manifest itself in his words and deeds.  Oh yes, never, never give social security numbers, birth dates, these things, the con artist should already know if they are from the government.  Or JUST HANG UP.

2.  How does what you say when you're angry indicate what is in your heart?  Love it, they sometimes say a drunk person always speak the truth, because nothing is holding them back.  One should never hold rage within themselves, it may cause them to say or do things that they may later regret. When I was younger, my mother called it my Dr. Jickal and Mr. Hyde personality because I would hold my temper and when it came out no-one like it or me.  As I got older, I learned to asked God to speak to my heart holy spirit, give me the words to say and tell me what to do.  I have let this guide my tongue, most of life.  Think before I speak, Lord bridle my tongue, because I know the tongue is sharper than a two edged sword and get one in trouble and this has helped me along my Christian journey.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Jesus speaks about how both trees are known by there fruits For a good tree is known by it's fruit. The same thing goes for a Bad tree It also is known by it's fruits. What is basically means is simple any person whether saved or not are they are known by there fruit Instance if you are a believer Everything that you do Well tell people what kind of person you are That is why people Watch us because they want to know if we're a genuine Christians Is why so many Shall we say mega churches are falling apart because they're Believers are truly not.   they are just bringing in believers but not discipling them. Conman are the same way they can appear to be genuine but are really not. Women who do the same thing can probably appear to be the same way as well They can appear very genuine but once you get to know them they will not Be what you think.

What comes to what is in your heart comes to what is in your Simply put What there mouth speaks Is already in there My pastor said his mother had told him that when he was a child what drunk says he's already in the heart. Another thing it says in the bible that both Salty and fresh water cannot come from the same spring what this basically means is we cannot praise the lord or bless the lord and curse at the same time because it makes no sense we have to be Doing only 1 thing What is either praising the lord Cussing Not both because as James says it does not make sense

Ouch this question hurts The lord has been speaking to me about some areas that I need work on. 1 of them is My compulsive over eating My spending issue Another is in the area of prayer Yet another is my temper Lastly is procrastination Which means time management My last 1 would probably be Learning to Controlling my emotions when I'm talking to my mom or dealing with my cat And I have 1 final 1Which is communication with my mother Talk to her I end up Getting and arguments and he wants me to be more Respectable to her

Born again or being saved means it is a 360 ° turn from what you were meaning it is it change of heart and mind were you no longer do the things you used to do Whether be doing drugs, Alcohol Some other substance Or something else as a substitute for the lord And then choosing the lord as your savior and going to church regularly but also spending time in his word Making him your #1 priority and also choosing Read the word but obey it When he tells you to do something And whatever that thing is he tells you to do you obey it instead of disobedience.

If a person has no fruit Of the works of the holy spirit they are not truly saved and they will not get into heaven because without the works the holy spirit They won't receive anything of Christ's promises

• 1 year later...
  1. Con men continue to trick people and take advantage of them. How can you tell them, according to Jesus' teaching?    Jesus simply said to observe the evidence of what a person’s actions and words cause and bring about. Good treasure of the heart will produce good things. Evil treasure can only produce evil consequences. Analyze the fruit.

What you harbor in your heart is what you will always outwardly express eventually. The old example of a teabag and a cup of hot water is still a great word picture for me. A teabag can’t produce anything except the kind of tea it really is. It can’t produce coffee or hot chocolate, only the specific essence and flavor contained in the specific leaves inside the bag. When your teabag-heart is plunged into hot-water-circumstances, the kind of “tea” you are will always ultimately be revealed.

Spiritual birth is only possible through faith in Christ. You can’t be “born again” or become an authentic follower of Christ without that genuine faith because you won’t have access to the presence or power of the Holy Spirit and His transformative work that changes lives. And even once a person does make that decision and is spiritually “born again”, the lifelong battle between the old nature of the flesh and the new nature of the Spirit begins and is unrelenting. Authentic believers often still fail miserably at times in living a Christlike life. BUT, many years ago the LORD impressed on me this practical marker to watch for in my own life: a true born-again follower of Christ is grieved by those failures and seeks the Spirit's guidance and help. It may take a while, but when I care what God thinks about something I shouldn't have said or done, I am always convicted with regret and a desire to make things right, opt for better choices, choose better words, dwell on better thoughts, etc. (And then the battle begins all over again a lot of the time!) That’s a completely different lifestyle from a person who may act the part but has never been truly transformed by being “born again” of the Spirit, and who never demonstrates understanding or sorrow or concern for unChristlike words or behavior or the consequences that follow.  No fruit of the Spirit = no true follower of Jesus.

• 3 weeks later...

Con men continue to trick people and take advantage of them. How can you tell them, according to Jesus' teaching? You can tell them by the words that come out of them when they speak it shows who they really are. They will have a slip and then the truth will be known.

2.How does what you say when you're angry indicate what is in your heart? It is the words you say to people. Whether you cut them down or insult them or swear at them that will show your true character. It will show whether you care about others or not.

3.What areas of your life where you AREN'T following closely has the Holy Spirit been convicting you about? How I talk to my daughter and how I get lazy sometimes. That I don't spend enough time with God sometimes.

4.How can you tell if you are a true follower of Jesus? Is being "born again" a good indicator? What does "born again" mean if it doesn't affect a person's lifestyle? You can tell by how you live and act around others. Being born again is only a start you have to surrender your life to Him. It means nothing if you are not totally sold out to Him. It means you think being saved is enough and that you can live the way you want but that is not what Jesus wants. He wants us to give up all and follow Him.

• 4 months later...

1. Con men continue to trick people and take advantage of them. How can you tell them, according to Jesus' teaching? ‘Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks ‘ careful listening quickly shows if there is value in the words or pompous glib talk, words to generate inappropriate desire for appearance not substance.

2. How does what you say when you're angry indicate what is in your heart? Because the tongue is difficult to tame. It has no ability to prevent the abundance of your heart to appear. 

3. What areas of your life where you AREN'T following closely has the Holy Spirit been convicting you about? James 3. The holy spirit began to answer my .quest for a deeper walk with a sudden ability to hear my mutterings while stuck in traffic jams. It is still a progress test to see if I am asking for blessings on the others or am of critical nature once again. 

4. How can you tell if you are a true follower of Jesus? Is being "born again" a good indicator? What does "born again" mean if it doesn't affect a person's lifestyle?  Born again is a starting point. I often believe we are saving people and leaving them orphan. A true follower wants to learn the biblical pattern and ways because God Said and his word is eternal, trustworthy, never will he turn his word inti a lie. I begin to appreciate the distance yet to grow into with each confrontation where the scripture does not appear quickly showing me the proper A true follower desires above all else to follow in his pattern of behavior and compassion as our guide.