JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Q1. We know that Jesus healed many sick people, I don’t know that He healed then all though. There are just three people that Jesus Himself raised from the dead recorded in the bible, the widows son at Nain, Jairus’s daughter, and His friend Lazarus. 
Q2. We are told in Luke that when Jesus saw the widow “ His heart went out to her and He said ‘Don’t cry’. Jesus had compassion on this lady because she was a poor widow who had no other family members to support her. He may also have seen it as an opportunity to bring glory to His Father. All the people who saw what Jesus did were awe struck and said”God has visited His people “. And they praised God not Jesus they realised that Jesus was sent from God.

Q3.Compassion is never a whim, but a deep spiritual feeling of empathy which compels action to alleviate suffering. It is much more than feelings alone.

Q4.Compassion is costly it means getting involved where many people would keep their distance. Compassion requires action which very often may not be a once off action but action that is ongoing. It will therefore be time consuming and may cost financially. When we are involved in something that requires Compassion, we are living our lives as Jesus lived His. It is also the way Jesus wants us to live, by being involved with people helping them, being compassionate and loving, and taking opportunity to speak about the compassion and love of Jesus.

Q5.We cannot be a true disciple and be dispassionate towards people in need.The Scriptures contain many verses telling us to be compassionate, Ephesians 4v32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. 1Peter3v8. If we are truely following God we want to be like Him and God is compassionate, there are verses all through the Bible which speaks of God’s compassion. In 2Corinthians 1v3b God is described as “The Father of compassion and the God of all comfort. The Psalms tell us of the compassion of God Psalm103v8,Psalm 145v 8-9. Also Matthew 9v36 and many more. I should have started with the following reason and not left it until last! Where would each one of us Christians be were it not for the love and compassion God had for us in sending Jesus to earth to pay a debt we could never pay on our own. In the light of this great privilege how could be possibly be anything but compassionate to those that need our help.

Q6.If we are compassionate we are more aware of those people and situations around the world that need God’s help and compassion, this in turn helps us to pray more intelligently and in a more meaningful way.

• 1 month later...

1. Did Jesus heal all the sick people he saw? Did Jesus raise all the dead people he encountered? 

No, to both. If He raised all the dead people He encountered, I guess it is safe to say that, Joseph, husband of Mary, would still have been around. His main objective was not to go around healing and raising from the dead. He was letting young and old, rich and poor, know, that the Kingdom of God had come. Teaching them how to live in the midst of a troubled world. 

2. How do you explain him raising the widow's son at Nain while passing many graveyards on His route?  

Jesus was entering the town and the funeral procession was leaving the town. The two sets of crowds intermingled and Jesus saw and had compassion on the widow who was on the way to bury her only son. Jesus's heart went out to her (possibly also remembering Mary) and said, 'Do not weep. " Whereupon he reached out, touched the bier and called the son back to life. Reason behind not hearing of other instances are not so important. What is important to me is seeing His caring, compassionate heart toward a Mother who would soon enter a terribly lonely time of her life (loneliness is terrible and being shunned even more.... these were things staring her in the face.) 

3. Does acting out of compassion mean responding to a whim? Why or why not?

Compassion is suffering with the person, being sensitive to the persons situation and at the same time feeling motivated to try to change the situation. 

4. Compassion is a dangerous virtue to cultivate. Why is that? What is the cost of compassion? What is the reward of compassion?

Compassion is time-consuming and costly. It takes over your whole being and it is very easy to be overwhelmed or consumed by it. The reward is just as overwhelming. It is worth "practicing" it. 

5. Can you be a true disciple and be dispassionate toward people in need? Why or why not?

No, I don't think so, but with the same breath i don't  think you can help everyone either. Neither can you be elated (feeling joy with someone and upon seeing someone else in a mournful situation, change just like that and  be all mournful with the second person. I guess you need to guard from the yo-yo effect.  It does not mean you don't have compassion with the second person. 

6. How can a sense of compassion help you to pray effectively?

When you are in a situation you can sooner feel for or with the person or people concerned than when you are on the outside of the situation. So praying effectively for someone i feel is sooner done when in the same situation.  Having compassion with so is also sooner done effectively when in a similar situation. 

1. Did Jesus heal all the sick people He saw? Did Jesus raise all the dead people He encountered?

When we sin, we become liable to the wrath of God and to eternal punishment: "The wages of sin is death" (Rom 6:23). His justice would require that we are eternally separated from Him, and that we spend eternity in hell. Fortunately, He is a God of love, and we read in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life". So, once we put our faith in Jesus alone and turn from our sin, we become new creatures with a new heart and a new life. Our sins are forgiven and we have fellowship with Jesus Christ. But, physical sickness came as the result of sin entering the world and it will eventually lead to death (Rom 6:23). However, when Jesus saved us, He did not just save our spirits(souls); He saved us as whole persons, and this includes the salvation of our bodies. This will occur when Christ returns, raises our bodies from the dead, re-unites our soul with our body, and we receive our perfect resurrection body like His own. Jesus came to earth to save sinners and give them eternal life, and while here on earth, He demonstrated His authority over life and death, His compassion, and His Kingdom to come. But, for Him to hear our prayers for healing, we must put our faith in Him. However, He does and can heal unbelievers. God uses sickness to bring about His sovereign purpose, to glorify Himself, and to exalt His Holy Name. At times He miraculously heals sickness, and at other times He uses sickness as a method of discipline or as a judgment against sin.

2. How do you explain Him raising the widow's son at Nain while passing many graveyards His route?

In the same way, we have all sinned and deserve eternal punishment from God. But, God in His love for us, sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to die for us while we were still sinners (Rom 5:8). Absolutely amazing. We put our faith in Jesus and trust Him as our Saviour, and all our sins are forgiven – past, present, and future sins! Finally, when we are glorified, that will be a day of great victory because on that day the last enemy, death, will be destroyed. The gospel of Jesus Christ offers that true hope and real power to this hurting world. The widow had not asked Jesus to raise her only son, our Lord did this miracle out of compassion for her (7:13). A widow and her only son had died, was completely destitute in those days, her future would have been extremely bleak. Whenever the Lord Jesus confronts human sorrow and need, He feels compassion. We are not alone! Jesus understands and cares! It was all of grace. The gospel is all of grace, not at all of works. Just as Christ spoke personally to this dead young man, so He speaks personally to the hearts of spiritually dead sinners today. As witnesses, we need to direct people into the Word of God.

3. Does acting out of compassion mean responding to a whim? Why or why not?

From personal experience I’ve found it not advisable in certain circumstances to suddenly offer help without fully having understood the situation. Some people are very complex and don’t always know themselves what to ask for, or what their need is. I’m talking about a normal situation one would encounter in our local church, not a life-or-death situation. In my country we often have youngster begging at the robots. It would be doing them a great disservice to give them money. They want money to buy drugs, and I think the better option would be to buy them a burger. So, here being compassionate and giving them money is counterproductive and causes them more harm; they need to get to a rehab centre.

4. Compassion is a dangerous virtue to cultivate. Why is that? What is the cost of compassion? What is the reward of compassion?

In Col 3:12 we read, “as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.” Described here are the Christian graces we are to have for other people. These are the attributes we are to have as God’s chosen. Compassion speaks of tender mercies; kindness speaks of loving affection and sympathy; humility speaks of lowliness, to esteem others better than self, and lack of pride; gentleness speaks of a courteous and unassuming attitude; patience speaks of perseverance and not becoming irritated or angry. God’s standard is perfect and holy. God is so patient and so tender-hearted and so merciful as He deals with His sinning people. As holy and righteous and just as He is, He is that compassionate as well.  And that’s the way we are to be. Col 3:13 goes on saying we are to bear with one another. Being compassionate towards people exposes us to their struggles, their sin, their problems, and their misery. It often takes the grace of God for us to put up with the idiosyncrasies of others, as it must for them to put up with ours. We must bear with one another. But, in living with others, it is inevitable that we will find out their failures. And the danger is that we might become judgmental and even condemn them for the situation they got themselves into. We become not so kind anymore, not so gentle, we start lacking humility, we lose our patience, and instead of winning them over for the Lord we chase them away and they see us as hypocrites. The rewards when we are compassionate towards people, might be that it opens their hearts to hear the truth of the gospel, and that they might see the compassion of Christ for the first time. Even perhaps winning them for the Lord. That would be a highlight – an extra bonus. I think of all the satisfaction we can obtain from helping our brothers and sisters in Christ.

5. Can you be a true disciple and be dispassionate toward people in need? Why or why not?

Our Lord is compassionate and gracious and that is how God’s people should be. We read in Psalm 103:8: “The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love.” In all His dealings with us, He has shown Himself to be merciful and gracious, for He guides, protects, and provides for every step of the way. In spite of all the ingratitude we show Him, our rebellious and disobedient ways - He still puts up with our nonsense, and stays compassionate toward us. I don’t think we can be a true disciple unless we show compassion, tenderness, and kindness toward people not only in need, but to difficult people as well. Even our enemies (remembering Luke 6:27). I only need to think of the compassion, mercy, and love my heavenly Father showed me in my salvation. What right have I got to do otherwise? Returning to Romans 5:8 again; Christ died for me when there was no good in me. Only sin. God’s love for me is revealed in Jesus Christ who died on the Cross for my sins! What mercy, grace, and love!

How utterly unworthy I am, dear Lord, of Thee,

Yet Thou art always showering Thy wondrous love on me.

Though oftentimes I wander and fail to do Thy will,

Thy gracious love constraining abideth with me still.

Author unknown.

6. How can a sense of compassion help you to pray effectively?

If we want to be effective witnesses for Christ, we must ask Him to deepen our compassion, tenderness, and kindness to those that are lost, those in need, and those facing difficult situations. It doesn’t matter how much theology we know; what matters is how much we care. It is when we love our brothers and sisters in Christ, that we become aware of their situation. Being compassionate will reveal this to us, and we will be in a better position of understanding to effectively intercede on their behalf. We can then ask our Heavenly Father for specifics. The result is that our prayers become more effective, since we now know what to ask our Lord for on their behalf.

• 2 weeks later...

1.    Did Jesus heal all the sick people he saw? I think not all the people Jesus met were heal. We recall He did didn't perform many miracles in His home town because of their disbelief in Him. Yet there are some scriptures that said He healed all the sick that came to Him.

Did Jesus raise all the dead people he encountered? No, for similar reasons above.

2.    How do you explain him raising the widow's son at Nain while passing many graveyards his route? He was particularly sympathetic to the widow because apart from the fact she was a widow, the dead son was her only child. This death made her very vulnerable to economic and social hardship and thus His sympathy and reason to restore her back to life. 

3.    Does acting out of compassion mean responding to a whim? Why or why not? In this case, NO. Jesus saw a genuine case and responded to it.

4.    Compassion is a dangerous virtue to cultivate.Why is that? What is the cost of compassion? What is the reward of compassion? I dont quite see see how compassion is is a dangerous virtue

5.    Can you be a true disciple and be dispassionate toward people in need? NO. Why or why not? Compassion is an attribute of God and every disciple is supposed to show compassion a world that is in need of iit. 

6.    How can a sense of compassion help you to pray effectively?

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2021 at 9:36 PM, hanks said:

1. Did Jesus heal all the sick people He saw? Did Jesus raise all the dead people He encountered?

When we sin, we become liable to the wrath of God and to eternal punishment: "The wages of sin is death" (Rom 6:23). His justice would require that we are eternally separated from Him, and that we spend eternity in hell. Fortunately, He is a God of love, and we read in John 3:16, “For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life". So, once we put our faith in Jesus alone and turn from our sin, we become new creatures with a new heart and a new life. Our sins are forgiven and we have fellowship with Jesus Christ. But, physical sickness came as the result of sin entering the world and it will eventually lead to death (Rom 6:23). However, when Jesus saved us, He did not just save our spirits(souls); He saved us as whole persons, and this includes the salvation of our bodies. This will occur when Christ returns, raises our bodies from the dead, re-unites our soul with our body, and we receive our perfect resurrection body like His own. Jesus came to earth to save sinners and give them eternal life, and while here on earth, He demonstrated His authority over life and death, His compassion, and His Kingdom to come. But, for Him to hear our prayers for healing, we must put our faith in Him. However, He does and can heal unbelievers. God uses sickness to bring about His sovereign purpose, to glorify Himself, and to exalt His Holy Name. At times He miraculously heals sickness, and at other times He uses sickness as a method of discipline or as a judgment against sin.

I think I get what you're saying-yes, He does raise all dead people He encounters who put their faith in Him!

Does acting out of compassion mean responding to a whim? Why or why not?

I don't know, I think one might respond to compassion on a whim, if that just means it is an unplanned act.  At times, we may meet someone in need and the Holy Spirit nudges us to respond.  We might not ever see the person again, but I don't think that Jesus probably ever saw the widow of Nain again.  If your heart breaks for someone and you can help them and the Holy Spirit is urging you to do so, I think you should do it.  Sometimes when we bless people we have ongoing relationships with them, but other times we can be a blessing to them in a brief moment and go on our way.  The important thing is to give the glory to God for the blessing either way.  

Did Jesus heal all the sick people he saw? Did Jesus raise all the dead people he encountered?

A. No Jesus did not heal all the sick people nor did he raise all the dead people.

How do you explain him raising the widow's son at Nain while passing many graveyards his route?

A. I can’t explain why Jesus decided to raise the widow’s son. It might have been to show the people that He was in fact the Son of God.

A. No, acting out of compassion does not mean responding to a whim. It is something that is built into us.

Compassion is a dangerous virtue to cultivate. Why is that? What is the cost of compassion? What is the reward of compassion?

A. I have never considered compassion as a dangerous virtue but does have its problems.  You will hurt when someone else is hurting and will not be able to do anything about it but we can ask God for help.

Can you be a true disciple and be dispassionate toward people in need? Why or why not?

A. I don’t see how you can be a true disciple and not have compassion toward other peoples need. That is one of the reasons that we have intercessory so that we can pray for those that are hurting.

How can a sense of compassion help you to pray effectively?

A. Compassion can help us to pray effectively because we can feel the hurt of the person that we are praying for.

Bailey   Greetings  6/19/21

1.  Did Jesus heal all the sick he saw?  Did Jesus raise all the dead people he encountered?  As Jesus past thru the town, people were receiving miracles, all found hope, because in his presence, through his touch, life could be different for them.  No he did not raise all the dead, It would have been the True Walking Dead.

2.  How do you explain him raising the widow's son at Nain while passing many graveyards on his route?  During this route, Jesus felt compassion for the widow.  He knew that she was lost without her son no longer in her life.  Just the mere thought of who would take care of her, the land her home and even help her financially.  I think he also was thinking of his own mother as well.

3.  How can a sense of compassion help you to pray effectively?  I find that easy just when I look around what is going on in the world today.  If you turn on the news you can't help but have compassion.  The virus, people out of work, human sex traffic, what is happening in Israel, the constant struggles of the government to turn it's back on the word of God.  I can go on and on.  We need more pray just like the centurion said, stop by master pray for my servant.  Lord, when you stop by my neighbor and your blessing him, have some mercy and compassion and breathe a little on me.

• 2 weeks later...

Acting  out of compassion does not mean acting out of whim. It is being sensitive and responding to a person's situation through love and a deeper understanding.

We cannot be true disciples and dispassionate toward people in need. We are to follow the example of Jesus and display the love and compassion of Jesus and the father. 

• 3 months later...

Did Jesus heal all the sick people he saw? Did Jesus raise all the dead people he encountered?

No because not everyone who saw the Lord believed that He could heal and raise the dead.

How do you explain him raising the widow's son at Nain while passing many graveyards his route?

No it means  you are acting out of an instinct that God has given us

Compassion is a dangerous virtue to cultivate. Why is that? What is the cost of compassion? What is the reward of compassion?

It hurts to know that someone that you love is hurting and there is nothing you can truly do to help them.

Can you be a true disciple and be dispassionate toward people in need? Why or why not?

No because you are not acting like Christ when you are not being compassionate.

How can a sense of compassion help you to pray effectively?

It can cause you to learn to know what exactly to pray for without having to play a guessing game.

• 1 year later...

Did Jesus heal all the sick people he saw? Jesus healed all the sick who came to Him. Did Jesus raise all the dead people he encountered? No the scriptures only talk about 3 people he raised from the dead.

How do you explain him raising the widow's son at Nain while passing many graveyards his route? Because she was in a funeral procession and crying as were the people with her. Where the ones in the graveyard had been dead for quite a while. And He knew that being a widow by herself she would have a harder time of it without her son to help her.

Does acting out of compassion mean responding to a whim? Why or why not? No it means acting out of love and concern for someone who is hurting and wanting to help.

Compassion is a dangerous virtue to cultivate. Why is that? What is the cost of compassion? What is the reward of compassion? Because it can cause you to come in contact with people who might push you away. In your mission you might be hurt or betrayed trying to help. Your heart might be broken with what you see. The cost of compassion is a heart fully centered on following Jesus and doing what he asks of you.even to the point of death. It is full on surrender and selflessness. For this is what He asks of you.

Can you be a true disciple and be dispassionate toward people in need? Why or why not? No because you cannot truly help people if your heart is not touched by their needs and by their hurts. People have to see that you really care about them and want to help them before you can tell them about Jesus.

How can a sense of compassion help you to pray effectively? It can help you pray for their needs and their salvation. It can help you pray more earnestly for others and with more passion. It can bring you closer to them and help you love them more.

• 4 months later...
  1. Did Jesus heal all the sick people he saw? Did Jesus raise all the dead people he encountered? No he departed Nazareth with comment about prophets lack of respect (faith in) in there hometown and family.
  2. How do you explain him raising the widow's son at Nain while passing many graveyards his route? The cemeteries were not actively in process. The cemetery while being there is not happening it is.  the widow and burial party were encountered on the way.  
  3. Does acting out of compassion mean responding to a whim? Why or why not? A whim is by definition not deeply emotional or involved.. Compassion is everything a whim is not. Shared pain for an observed condition or situation of what you truly see.
  4. Compassion is a dangerous virtue to cultivate. Why is that? What is the cost of compassion? What is the reward of compassion? As with Jesus encounter with the woman who’s faith was if she could only touch his garment. He felt the drawing upon his virtue. Compassion has a price. Caring is more than idle words. It is entering into seeking God for a solution. Prayer of a serious nature is not and adventure for the timid. Not a way to collect look at me awards. Compassion costs seeking God with our most precious thing, our time to be seriously involved with seeking positive out come.
  5. Can you be a true disciple and be dispassionate toward people in need? Why or why not? Good news is not the stuff of tabloids. It is the carrying of the true real power of the gospel knowing true hearing will bring expectation of things spoken. Your faith in God’s intent to deliver must be more than read about it. It must be a true lifestyle of experiencing God responding to your compassion as a heart felt need for godly power and supernatural intervention. 
  6. How can a sense of compassion help you to pray effectively? Most definitely. From knowing of an issue, casual hearing. Some come to roost in your prayer time. And as you pray the flower opens or the layers of the onion are pealed revealing a ‘better more accurate picture’ of the need. You discover it is a mountain in the path. From open pit mine country. You begin turning the mountain into gravel to become a smother pathway for the one in need to receive Gods blessing. Many things are revealed in prayer, dealt with in tears of compassion, knowing God cares far more, knows the pain far better, and shows you just guidance to bring relief. Jesus paid the price. We finish somewhat exhausted yet joyous at the lost found, the captive free, the choice of salvation accepted.  Compassion fires the engine to keep you returning again and again like the widow to the unjust judge. Compassion does not seem to allow turning ones back and walking away. Return with your hammer and hit the mountain again and again. Haul another barrow of gravel away.  Move the mountain. One prayer session at a time. Loving compassion is like the sticky oil on the neck of an old bottle cooking oil. It sticks to you and doesn't rub off. That is the fats of the oil of anointing that carries through.

• 3 months later...
  1. Did Jesus heal all the sick people he saw? Did Jesus raise all the dead people he encountered? No, he could do little in his home town where there lacked faith. We only know of 3 encounters and have no catalog of othercopportunities orcrequests.
  2. How do you explain him raising the widow's son at Nain while passing many graveyards his route? Jesus said to the Pharisees, “I only do what I see my Father doing, Ibonly say what I hear my Father saying.” We often drift from our spiritvlead life, Jesus did not. He walked exactly as Father desired.
  3. Does acting out of compassion mean responding to a whim? Why or why not? Whim is danger, it is self not holy spirit saying do. We must be spirit lead. For God has a plan and we are to be an active part of the Fathers desires and not our own desires.
  4. Compassion is a dangerous virtue to cultivate. Why is that? What is the cost of compassion? What is the reward of compassion? A. There is great cost in compassion. It rends your heart to see the future of those deeply ensnared by the enemy headed for the lake of fire. And you may absolutely hate their worldly acts. B. The cost is the heart rending knowing their feet will slide in due time. And that is not God’s desire for them. C. You fulfill Gods heart as David had. Psalm 35:13-14. Cry for them as though it was your own mother upon her sick bed. Real crys rend your heart.
  5. Can you be a true disciple and be dispassionate toward people in need? Why or why not? We are thecwalking ministry ofcthevkingdom of God on earth today. How dare we not show his nature and show our own natural nature.
  6. How can a sense of compassion help you to pray effectively? Gods mercies are fresh every morning. And we have no right or permision to curse James 3. We need to spead singly blessings… therefore compassion.