JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Seeking Wealth vs. God

Q1. (Matthew 6:24) Jesus seems to make it sound like you cant seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this? Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal? Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?

The point that Jesus was making is that wealth causes many to put more trust in money that in God. It is not hyperbole this is reality; there are nations where the peoples trust in God is seen to wane when progressive medicine and technological advances is introduced. Wealthy people can serve God and in fact there are those who do, and see money only as a means to accomplish Gods will.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

[Q1. (Matthew 6:24) Jesus seems to make it sound like you can’t seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this? Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal? Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?

I have met admirable christians who did not have to work for their riches (or even to retain their riches) and other admirable christians who had to work to obtain and and retain their riches. And I know many comparatively poor people who are also admirable christians. (In both cases, I humbly realize that I can never know them completely or know how God views them.) There may be a lesson, however, in the amount of time and energy poor folks use to obtain wealth and wealthy people use to maintain/manage/retain it. Since Jesus said his message was to the poor, the sick, the outcast, etc., I think this lesson is primarily for the poor: do not focus on obtaining wealth because it will not bring you closer to God. There is a tangential message for the wealthy: do not consider your good fortune proof that you have been blessed by God. (Jesus may also be interested in refuting the common Jewish belief that God's blessings would be manifest in your good fortune - health, wealth, etc. - Job notwithstanding).

Q1. (Matthew 6:24) Jesus seems to make it sound like you cant seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this? Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal? Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?

It depends on a person, some people can seek God even when they are wealthy, but the truth of the matter is that when someone have money or is financially wealthy, a person will probably shift their worship somewhat since they may be happy with their financial situation that sometimes forget about asking God for things or praying since his or her financial wealth had taken his or her time to pursue other endeavors which may or may not be God's will. There will be a smudge or a spot some how on a person's heart once a person have wealth. He will not be 100% faithful to the lord, but then there are some people out there giving away there wealth for the kingdom of god also. I don't understand the meaning of hyperbole, figurative or literal , but I know that this is difficult to achieve true worship on earth if we don't have true faith in God in the 1st place. It is just like you can not serve two masters, you can only serve one, you will have to give up the other to gain the other. I don't think you can have them both equally.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think Jesus meant for we could not see weath but the persuit of it is really About the Journey not the End Result. When we care more about our acquisition of money than the people around us, caring for others then the greed for money cannot coexist with God. When people "put their hope in wealth," they automatically lessen their dependence upon God. In a way, Money becomes an alternate point of hope and trust, a substitute god. You must put God first.

• 2 months later...

Q1. (Matthew 6:24) Jesus seems to make it sound like you can’t seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this? Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal? Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?

Yes, Jesus meant you cannot seek wealth and God at the same time if wealth or money is all you think about leaving Him out of the picture.

This is not exaggeration as one's devotion can be swayed. Someone will get less attention.

This statement is not figurative. Jesus meant what he said.

This is definitely literal. We are to seek God first and He will add wealth.

Yes, wealthy people can serve God for real as long as they remember that it is God who gives us power to get wealth.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yes, He is speaking figuratively. Yes, wealthy people serve God in actual fact. Main point God is expressing is that you cannot put more time in accumulating your wealth than in serving Him. Do not allow your wealth to take priority over God. God does not intend for us to be poor. Jesus teaching was not against man seeking after, trying to obtain wealth. He is warning man not to let wealth or the seeking after it become our master.

• 9 months later...

Jesus seems to make it sound like you can�t seek wealth and God simultaneously.

Does he really mean this?

Yes!

You will seek the one and leave the other. It is very clear, seek God nd He will give to you all that ymore, not less, but what you need. What you receive will depend on His plans for you and how well you show Him that you are ready to receive it. If He wants you to spread the Word among the wealthy, He might give you material things to make you fit in. He might also not give it to you so that you can show those how fulfilled and happy you are without these things. It is God's will whether you have or not, we are not to seek it, or we will lose our focus on God.

Is this hyperbole?

No

Figurative?

Definately not

Literal?

Yes

Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?

For sure!! But our posessions must not be important to us. Jesus said with the rich man it is more difficult for a rich man to enter heaven than for a camel to go through the eye of a needle. The desciples asked how is it then possible for anyone to enter the Kingdom of heaven. A little bit later Zacchaeus showed us the answer. He repented completely, gave money away and changed his life. He was still wealthy, but his money was not important to him anymore, God was.

That is why we should not preach the blessings of Abraham, we must be thankful when, but it must never ever be a way to convince people to accept Christ. Because then you are not teaching them to let go of money, you tell them "Use God to serve Mammon", a very wrong teaching indeed!

• 3 months later...

When money, wealth, possessions become the driving force and primary focus in a person’s life, they have become objects of worship and masters that dictate what one lives for. They become the soul’s desire, the true love of one’s heart. The pursuit of riches then becomes a thorny worldly concern that chokes out spiritual growth. This warning from Jesus was not to say that it is evil to seek wealth at all, but rather to serve wealth. It is impossible to love God with all your heart, soul, and mind if you are set on following after a false god.

In context of the full passage of vss.19-24, I think Jesus was being literal in this contrast of love/hate, devotion/contempt, God/money. The overall theme there is laying up true enduring treasures in the spiritual realm of heaven rather than perishable treasures in the temporal realm of earth. The type of treasure you most long for reveals the authentic condition of your heart and where it is set. And, of course, it is the heart that God is most concerned with. For the LORD searches all hearts and understands every plan and thought. 1 Chronicles 28:9b

Wealthy people can certainly love and serve God. There were several people of means who supported Jesus’ own earthly ministry and/or the early church. This would be someone who doesn’t idolize the money, but recognizes the ability to attain it as a blessing from God, obeys God’s leading for utilizing it, and sees it as a tool to honor God. I think it surely takes a lot of extra effort to stay humble before the LORD, maintain an undivided heart, and avoid being overtaken with the allure of riches.

• 7 months later...

What he means is whatever worldly things we treasure should not come before our relationship with Him. We cannot allow anything to be a substitute for Him and His provisions for us. I do not view this as a parable like many of His other teachings. He was straight and to the point on this one; “we can’t serve both Him and money”. Wealthy people who do not put their hope in their resources and know that God is their source I believe can serve Him. The owner of the Chic-fil-A restaurants appears to be a good example of this (he is believes in God, his restaurants are closed on Sunday’s, and he took a stand against a controversial issue (the Bible speaks against) that he and his restaurants came under fire doing). I sure there are some wealthy people out there who can serve God in actual fact. He always has a remnant of people chosen by His grace (Romans 11:15).

• 3 months later...

I believe that Jesus is talking about those that may seek and desire wealth above all else.  Our gifting may involve generating wealth which is then used for kingdom purposes.  The proviso is that the accumulation of material wealth does not become the end in itself but rather a means of serving God and others.      

• 8 months later...

Jesus pointed out that one cannot serve two masters. You cannot serve both God and money.   Being wealthy or even having some money is not a sin.  It is what you do with your money.  Does it consume you?  Do you try really hard not to part with it even for a good cause.  Do you give freely.  God loves a cheerful giver and He also said to take care of our neighbors.  Is this what you do with your money.  Or do you give just enough to get by.  I believe this is meant literally.  Wealthy people can serve God.  They just need to prioritize with God being at the top.  Tithing is very important.  And, the tithing should not be to yourself.

• 9 months later...

I believe you can definitely serve God while being financially rich. God blessed Abraham, Solomon and David with great wealth. I believe the ones who are wealthy and love the Lord have riches, but money does not have them. They manage money, but money does not manage them. However, there are many whom God knows not to bless with financial riches because many will become secure in their finances rather then on God. It's one thing for the Lord to bless one financially, but we are not to over-work ourselves just to become rich. Otherwise, we are relying on the flesh to provide for ourselves rather then relying on God who is the One who provides. The question is, do they honor God first with their money or do they love money to fulfill their covetous desires?  That is why Jesus questioned this rich man about lacking one thing and selling to the poor which is what he lacked all because his heart was towards his own riches and not in the right place.

• 9 months later...

A. Yes.  B. No.  C. No.  D. Yes.

E. "Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?"   Jesus makes is very plain that one " . . . cannot serve God and money" (Mt. 6:24).

Jesus also said " . . . how hard is it for them that trust in riches to enter into the kingdom of God! (25) It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom of God" (Mk. 10:24-25).

We also have the Rich Young Ruler to consider (Mk. 10:17-27).  The ruler just couldn't part with his " . . . great possessions" (Mk. 10:22).

Wealthy people can serve God only if they worship Him and not their wealth.  The reason being, "money becomes an alternate point of hope and trust, a substitute god" (Dr. Wilson).

Jesus calls money a "master" (Mt. 6:24).  The wealthy will have to chose which "master" they will serve: wealth or the Lord.

Does He really mean this? I have to go with my core belief that the Holy Scriptures are inerrant and complete. I don’t think an expository or exegesis is needed to fully comprehend seven words You cannot serve both God and money." Jesus is saying it cannot be done! I always enjoy when science proves the Bible. Please read the following: Professor Earl Miller, a neuroscientist at the world-renowned Massachusetts Institute of Technology scanned volunteers’ heads while they performed different tasks and found that when there is a group of visual stimulants in front of you, only one can receive focus. This is particularly true when we try to perform similar tasks at the same time - such as writing an email and talking on the phone - as they compete to use the same part of the brain. As a result, your brain simply slows down. Even just thinking about multi-tasking can cause this log-jam, as Glenn Wilson, a psychiatrist at the University of London, reported a few years ago. This is why Professor Miller, for one, is highly wary of the multitasking lifestyle. ‘People can’t do it and when they say they can, they’re deluding themselves,’ he says. ‘The brain is very good at deluding itself.’” So we see, as always, Jesus’ teachings are inerrant and infallible even by today’s knowledge and iconic thinkers.

Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal? I would say “literal” because it is a direct statement not involving an exaggeration (Hyperbole) or representing a figure or resemblance (figurative). It is literal, a word for word actuality.

Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact? Only God can know a person’s heart and motivations. However, Job, Abraham, Isaac, David, Joseph, and Solomon we are told were wealthy AND faithful during antiquity. Looking at today’s philanthropic lists, some of the richest people in the world are donating  https://www.looktothestars.org/news/14430-the-worlds-most-generous-donators to worthy causes such as children, education, health, homelessness, family/parent support, etc.

• 4 years later...

Q1. (Matthew 6:24) Jesus seems to make it sound like you can't seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this? Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal?  I think Jesus does mean that we can't be seeking wealth while serving God. I'm not sure that working to be prosperous in your work, is the same thing as having money as your Master. But I do think that this is literally what Jesus means-- if you're seeking prosperity, money has become your Master, therefore, you are likely not putting God first. I don't agree with this assumption.  

Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact? Absolutely, and in fact, wealthy people can serve God 100 times better than those who are poor and devoid of assets. If you're a small farmer with only tools to work your land, you might produce abundant crops, but only a small portion of that can go to honor God because majority of the earning from your harvest will need to go to feed your family. A successful farmer might have several tractors, horses, vehicles and hired hands which would produce 100 times the amount of harvest than that of the less successful farmer. Providing that both farmers are equally pious and God-loving, it would be a gross injustice to anyone to be assumed unfit to serve the Lord, just because he has wealth.

It's possible that the wealthy farmer could use the overflow from his crops, to donate to the local churches; he might even build a new church to honor the Lord that brought him so much prosperity.

One should not assume based on someone's finances, whether they are rich or poor.