JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Seeking Wealth vs. God

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus meant that if we pay more attention to riches or wealth then such wealth become our god. I believe that one can be rich and still serve God with the wealth as long as he realises that the riches come from God for him to serve Him and mankind with it.

Jesus meant that if any one spends most of his time and resources in persuit of wealth then he will have no time for God. Consequently, such a person may miss the kingdom of God

I believe however that one can be rich and still enter the kingdom of God if such a person is well balanced by using his wealth to serve God amd humanity.

Q1. (Matthew 6:24) Jesus seems to make it sound like you can't seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this? Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal? Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?

There's a difference between being wealthy and serving wealth. I don't think this verse says you cannot be wealthy and serve God. It says you cannot serve wealth and serve God. If all your effort is focused on making and keeping money, there is no effort, time, energy left to serve God. I think it is possible to serve God with your wealth no matter how much wealth you have. When Jesus was asked about the most important commandment, His answer clarified what it means to serve God and not wealth.

Mar 12:29-31 NIV "The most important one," answered Jesus, "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one. (30) Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.' (31) The second is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."

God created wealth for mankind to use. Seeking wealth is therefore not bad. Jesus said that the love of money is bad and not that money is bad. Christians can seek weath as long as the wealth does not become their god which take all thier time, energy and resources.

I have seen wealthy Christians who serve God with their wealth.

Q1. (Matthew 6:24) Jesus seems to make it sound like you can't seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this? Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal? Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?

This increase in affluence becomes significant to the degree that the Bible suggests that money has a spiritual component. For example, in Matthew 6:24 Jesus tells his followers, "You cannot serve both God and Money." One should points out that in this text, Jesus personifies mammon "as a sort of god," a force that is competing with God for our souls. This suggests that Jesus' choice of words "reveals something exceptional about money, for Jesus did not usually use deifications and personifications. What Jesus is revealing is that money is a power.

Pax

I don't think that God means you cannot be wealthy or seek wealth. I believe that if you think of money as fulfilling all your needs as far as having everything you need or want, I think that money has become your god, your savior and in this sense you are serving money. Working in various professions will establish certain financial brackets some of which automatically leads to wealth. I am not speaking of unsavory professions but legitimate professions that can put you in the Beverly Hills type homes or the Bentleys cars etc. I do not believe you are serving money, you just have a job that pays enough to afford you the opportunity to live that way. I do believe that the wealthy can serve God if God is their God. On the same token, I do not believe only the poor can serve God. I love God and I am not poor nor am I wealthy. I have worked on a government job for the last thirty years. My only question is why couldn't I afford the Beverly Hills type house or the Bentley? And that ain't no sin to want the better things in life! :D

1a)Jesus does imply you cannot seek wealth & God simultaneously. He says putting our hope in money & wealth automatically lessons our hope in God. We should make God number one in everything and not put hope in things of this world that don't last.:unsure: b)It is harder for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God, as they have more wealth to give up &need less to depend on God. c)That is literal & fact.d)But if they do give God everything, put God first, they are able to use the wealth to help others in need, serving God in this way, they are Spiritually wealthy & see how God provides for humanity, if we only could distribute His resources better. :)

Q1. (Matthew 6:24) Jesus seems to make it sound like you can’t seek wealth and God simultaneously. Does he really mean this? Is this hyperbole? Figurative? Literal? Can wealthy people serve God in actual fact?

We should not seek to become wealthy; Wealth should not be our goal. Rather, we should seek God and want to have enough that we need and that would allow us to be a blessing to others. The parable of the rich fool, in Luke 12: 13- 21 clearly teaches us this lesson. The guy wanted to store up all kinds of possessions for himself. In that parable, God told him, "you will die tomorrow" and asked, "who will get what you have prepared for yourself after you die?" Seeking wealth can distract us from what God wants us to do, where God wants us to go, and how God wants us to use our time. Again, this does not mean we should not work, want income or be good stewards over our money. (The Bible clearly teaches us that those with the ability should labor and that we should be good stewards over our resources.) However, it does mean that wealth should not be our goal. Our goal is God's reign in our life, and this may mean that we serve God with few material possessions. Jesus was not a wealthy man, and neither were the disciples (most of them), but they still lived a rich life. God's definition of true riches is different than ours. This is also revealed in Revelation 3: 17 - 18, which reads "You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind, and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see."

It is often difficult for a wealthy person to serve God because of greed i.e. when we do not want to share what we have with others. This is revealed in the story of the rich young man (Matthew 19: 16 - 28; Mark 10:17-30, and Luke 18: 18-30) who had no problem keeping many of the commandments, but was unwilling to give up his possessions to the poor. However, as shared in that same story, "Nothing is impossible with God." (Matthew 19:26). The wealthy person -- and all of us -- must realize that everything we have belongs to God and commit to using everything we have to build up His Kingdom!

I read this verse literally: serving only one master; and for the citizens of The Kingdom, the master should be God. That's meaning living in His territory and under His authority. Otherwise, we lives on other territory, other kingdom; it is kingdom of this world, kingdom of satan in which mamon as one of authority in wealth's territory. It is also meaning, our wealth, inc temporary wealth & money should come from God or by power of God; pour out from God.

According to me, Jesus was teaching us to put our cause to God. That's why we also learn the lesson of giving tithes. He wanted us to put God first not pleasures or money. Jesus stressed it that riches which we should seek for should be from God, with God's help. Wealth is just added to us if we seek God first.

It's both hyperbole - in the fact that seeking for wealth can move one from the line of God - and, dangerous since wealth cannot save someone at the end.

To me, what serves God is the heart ( spirit). Wealthy people can still serve God. The man who requested to bury the body of Jesus, Joseph of Almathea, was wealthy. However, one should not be extra committed to their wealth and keep God aside. Job did not keep committment for his wealth. He counted God, who had given all to him, to be able. He didn't fight to gain his body even when he was wounded. This tells that he did not count himself as wealthy. He remained firm with God even when the devil tempted him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...