JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Seeking the Kingdom

A. It seems that humanity never tires of seeking things; yet, wither these things are temporal or eternal is one major question that has to be answered.

Often, we are not content with Christ furnishing our needs, so we go after more and more to end up with less and less.  What we suppose to be first will be far different of what Christ says is first, if not the Kingdom.

If we are the "salt," and "light," (Mt. 5:13-14), and the "leaven in the loaf" (Mt. 13:33), we will seek after and will not be satisfied short of change in our lives and in the world.

B. As to His righteousness, "heart righteousness," is that of a heart that is hungering and thirsting after the meal that is Christ: His body and blood.

It is not only the desire of, but actually being molded more and more into the image of Jesus Christ.

It is not the righteousness that I work, but the righteousness that He works.

C. How can I "seek both the Kingdom and support my family?"  How could I seek first the "Kingdom and His righteousness," and not the welfare of my family?"  If I "seek first the Kingdom and His righteousness," I will support my family.

D. "What is the promise of verse 33?"  The promise is: "and all these things will be given to you as well."  Not only will our spiritual hunger be satisfied, but also our physical hunger as well.  "Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness" and He takes care of the rest.

• 4 years later...
  • Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Q2. (Matthew 6:33) What does it mean in verse 33 to "seek first his Kingdom"? What does it mean to "seek first … his righteousness"?  Well if you're a disciple of Jesus, the requirement is that you give up your worldly possessions and follow him. The teaching, as I understand it, is to seek the Kingdom, and all the righteousness that God imparts for His children. Basically, it's the idea that you surrender yourself to God for everything-- food, clothes, etc-- and God will provide you with all that you need.

How can we both seek the Kingdom and support our families? What is the promise found in verse 33?  Honestly, I don't know how realistic this is in our current society. If we stopped working, we would get evicted and be on the line at the food pantry. I think there's a verse in the Bible that says God helps those that help themselves, and we have to be mindful of being self-sufficient enough not to get put out on the street while still putting God first in our hearts. This is likely the more logical option since being homeless does not make you more God-loving. It would make you bitter and stressed out not knowing where to rest your head.

There is an underlying assumption that poor people are better at putting God first, more so than people with jobs and money. I think this is an unfair assumption. Never judge a book by it's cover, and as such, do not judge a person by the size of their wallets.