JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q1. Spiritual Kingdom

Q1. (John 3:3, 5) What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God? Do you think Nicodemus understands him? Why or why not?

Jesus teaches that the kingdom of God is Spiritual and is entered in by the spirit. Jesus teaches about Spiritual birth as the way for entering the kingdom of God. I think that Nicodemus understands Jesus because he had the hunger of the spirit. He sought and the Bible says that if you seek, you shall find.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jesus teaches us that the Kingdom of God is spiritual and one cannot enter into it unless they have been born of water and the Spirit and drawn by God. I believe that Nicodemus understood because he believed that Jesus was sent from God which is evident in his salutation and also why he went seeking personal one on one time with Jesus.

Q1. (John 3:3, 5) What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God? Do you think Nicodemus understands him? Why or why not?

Jesus is teaching here that the nature of the Kingdom of God is Spiritual. Nicodemus does not understand what Jesus is saying because he has not been born again. Nicodemus will not understand the nature of the Kingdom of God untill he accepts Jesus Christ as Messiah, the Son of God and Savior of the world; then and only then will his eyes be opened to enter the Kingdom of God.

1a)i/you cannot see the kingdom of God or grasp it unless God enables you to see it, e.g born anew from above, spiritually reborn ii/you cannot enter & be part of the kingdom of God &inherit eternal life unless you are reborn.iii/the kingdom of God is hidden from those who do not accept him. God reveals it to us,he graciously saves us,his gift for us. biggrin.gif

B)Nicodemus was a seeker. I think he did understand teaching about needing to be reborn.he recognised jesus miracles were carried out with the hand of God,but he questioned whether it was possible to be born again into his mother

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Jesus is teaching that the nature of the Kingdom of God is Spiritual. Nicodemus will not understand what Jesus is saying because he has not been born again. Nicodemus will not understand the nature of the Kingdom of God until he accepts Jesus Christ as the Messiah, the Son of God and Savior of the world, and then he will be able to enter the Kingdom of God in this respect.

• 1 month later...

We know the Kingdom of God is not of this world. What we have in this world lives in our hearts and mind. Nicodemus addresses Jesus as Rabbi because he is impressed by his teaching. Nicodemus rec

• 2 months later...

Q1. (John 3:3, 5) What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God?

Jesus teaches us two things:

1. The Kingdom is spiritually discerned, that is, you can't see it or grasp it spiritually unless you are "born from above," unless God enables you to see it.

2. The Kingdom is spiritually entered, that is, you can't enter into the Kingdom, which is a synonym for inheriting eternal life, unless you are changed spiritually.

Do you think Nicodemus understands him? Why or why not?

I think Nicodemus does not understand because God has not opened it to him as yet and that is why he is stil asking questions about it.

:o Jesus teaches that it is spiritual, one must be born again of the water and the spirit. Nicodemus did not understand Jesus because he asked how can a man that is old be reborn. He spoke from a natural side.

• 1 month later...

1) Jesus teaches about the nature of the Kingdom of God that the Kingdom will come to all but you must be born again. He also teaches that the Kingdom is spiritually discerned and spiritually entered.

2) No, I do not think that Nicodemus understood what Jesus was saying. Nicodemus was thinking of a physical birth from the womb. Jesus was referring to being born again spiritually.

• 9 months later...

What does Jesus teach here about the nature of the Kingdom of God?

He teaches us that we must be born again spiritualy. We must allow the old me to die and be born again spiritualy>

Do you think Nicodemus understands him?

No, even we dont always understands this at 1st.

Why or why not?

Nicodemus was thinking within his own experiance base. He thought his body must die, not his spirit.

• 3 months later...

Jesus was revealing to Nicodemus that the Kingdom of God that the Jews awaited was a spiritual Kingdom. Entry into this Kingdom would require a “new birth”, in spiritual terms. Obviously, Nicodemus did not understand Jesus’ first statement, as he asked about physical birth. So Jesus repeated and amplified in a second statement that it is a spiritual matter. It is understandable that Nicodemus didn’t “get it” because the Jews expected their Messiah to usher in a reinstatement of the governmental Davidic kingdom. Jesus’ mission at that time did not include fulfillment of that promise from Yahweh; that is yet to happen when Christ returns the 2nd time.

• 7 months later...

Jesus teaches that the Kingdom of God has specific requirements to enter that are not revealed to everyone. You have to be invited in, which leads me to think that not everyone will receive an invitation and not everyone will accept the invitation. If God does not reveal it to you, it remains unknown because the world is not privy to the knowledge of it. I am not sure Nicodemus understands, I can say that he was cautious and well as curious and wanted to know of the things of God and therefore, asked questions, the same as believers do today.

• 11 months later...

Jesus is teaching that one cannot enter the Kingdom of God unless he is born again.   Born again of water and the Spirit.  Being truly born again is a gift that allows us to see and feel the Kingdom within us. 

• 1 year later...

A. The nature of the Kingdom of God is spiritual: it is spiritually discerned; it is spiritually entered; and it is not of this world.

B. I don't think so.

C. If he had understood Christ, why would he have asked this question: " . . . How can a man be born when he is old?  Can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born (Jn. 3:4)?"

Also, to think in terms of what Nicodemus was expecting and what Christ was saying leads me to think that he didn't.  Nicodemus had to turn around and look at things on the inside instead of the outside.  The Pharisee's were looking for a Messiah that would deliver them from their Roman oppressors.  The Messiah and the Kingdom they were looking for would be a spiritual one.  To me that seems like a big step for Nicodemus, but Christ was telling Nicodemus the way.

Another is the next question that Nicodemus would ask Christ: " . . . How can these things be (Jn. 3:9)?"

Did Nicodemus understand, believe, and apply Christ's teaching to his own life?  He is mentioned in two other places (Jn. 7:50; and 19:39).  When we consider these two other events, I believe he did.