JesusWalk Bible Study Forum

Q2. Entering the Kingdom

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Q2. (John 3:3-5) What does "entering the Kingdom" have to do with being "born anew"?

The two are related in that, in order to enter the Kingdom, one has to be born anew - the spiritual change.

Which do you think is the best translation here: "born again," "born anew," or "born from above"? Defend your reasoning.

May I start by pointing out that, sometimes we dwell too much on the grammatical meaning of the words Jesus used to the extent that, sometimes we are put aside by these words. We must always remember that, Jesus always spoke in parables. Now for me all the three are correct but the main issue is the message from the three. It is that, in order to enter the kingdom, one has to change spritually i.e. to trully believe in Jesus as our Saviour. Such spiritual change makes a person new; he/she becomes born again (spiritually).

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

What does �entering the Kingdom� have to do with being �born anew�?

You must be spiritually renewed - born again - in order to enter the Kingdom You must change from within to belong to the kingdom.

Which do you think is the best translation here: �born again,� �born anew,� or �born from above.� Defend your reasoning.

All have the same meaning. It doesn't matter what you call it, you must change. You must understand that a new person is born, you must have a new character

• 3 months later...

The first birth produces a physical existence that will die and decay (perishable). Such a life cannot enter a Kingdom that is spiritual and eternal. So a supernatural “birth” is required of the Spirit (imperishable).

Following the line of thought in the lesson, I would probably choose the translation “born anew”, because it is the birth of a completely new and different essence from what it was. It is not "redoing" something that was done before; it is being completely regenerated into something different. However, I think there are valid components from each translation, because it is to be born “again” and “from above”.

• 7 months later...

Being born anew has to do with changing from the old self to a new self, as in changing how one thinks or views things; looking at things from God’s view as opposed to the worldly view. Being “born anew” is a good translation because it fits with the first sentence of Romans 12:2: “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will”.

The old animal sacrificial system was done away with one reason being that it only temporarily (Day of Atonement was recurring annually) cleansed the person on the outside and not at all on the inside. There was no spiritual cleansing or renewal of the mind. One has to undergo a spiritual change from within so they can be transformed -- and study the Bible/Word so that they can continually renew their mind. The worldly things that we grew up with, learned, and practiced must be wiped away (old man dies) and the new man (Spirit of God) takes control. Now we have the new spirit man replacing the old worldly man but in the same body (person).

• 11 months later...

Entering the Kingdom and "born anew" both have to do with Baptism.  We are born anew into the Spirit of the Kingdom by water and his blood.  I believe born anew is the best translation.  We are born once from our mother, but being born anew is from the water and the Spirit.

• 1 year later...

A. Jesus said no one could see ("born again," Jn. 3:3) or enter ("water and the Spirit," Jn. 3:5) the Kingdom of God without an inner change (radical) that could be explained nothing short of being "born anew" "from above."

B. "born anew."

C. "born anew" seems the better of the three for there is such a radical change to a person that it seems as being "born anew."  Within the phrase "born anew" there are three segments: "from the beginning, completely radically;" "again, for the second time;" and "from above, from God" (Barclay).

John used the adverb that "anew" and "from above" in the spiritual birth for it is "from above" and "anew."

Also, Scriptural refs (lesson material) are to be considered: Jn. 3:3-5; 1:12-13; 1 Jn. 3:9;  5:1; and 1 Pet. 1:23).

I think that all these are important, but it seems to me "born anew" speaks of what (the Lord does) happens to a person who has surrendered all to the will and the way of the Lord: he/she has been "born anew" "from above."